Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
cintiq 16 should have happened earlier. wacom dropped the ball here
half saying this over a 13HD right now :c

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Say, question: does anyone know what the power output is on the RTX Virtualink USB-C outputs? i.e. would you be able to power a USB-C portable monitor straight off of an RTX card with Virtualink? I'm trying to do some other background research but thought I'd ask the experts. Trying to think about how to minimize cables (particularly power cables) in an otherwise portable setup.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Say, question: does anyone know what the power output is on the RTX Virtualink USB-C outputs? i.e. would you be able to power a USB-C portable monitor straight off of an RTX card with Virtualink? I'm trying to do some other background research but thought I'd ask the experts. Trying to think about how to minimize cables (particularly power cables) in an otherwise portable setup.

While I don't have a GPU with a type-c, according to this article VirtualLink is capable of outputting display port. I don't see how it is impossible, but someone would need to verify.

Also everyone's favourite overpriced, but much hyped, the PQ22UC has been launched in certain markets. Hexus and Anandtech have articles on the screen. I'll be interested if it is £3799 cheaper.

Reactions: annasoh323

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

Strix 2080 can provide power and data via single USB-C cable to ASUS MB16AC portable monitor.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
it's essentially a USB host adapter thanks to a mandatory USB-C controller by the USB-IF (or just the ease of designing a displayport-out over type-c), so USB-C moniotrs and just straight up anything USB should just work

gonna find the source in hardwareunboxed(?) for this in a bit

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
it's essentially a USB host adapter thanks to a mandatory USB-C controller by the USB-IF (or just the ease of designing a displayport-out over type-c), so USB-C moniotrs and just straight up anything USB should just work

gonna find the source in hardwareunboxed(?) for this in a bit
Someone needs to make a card with thunderbolt 3 on it though ;)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The VirtualLink spec requires ports to output between 15 and 27W, which to me sounds like USB-PD 2.0 5V and 9V output (as the standard requires 3A at both those voltages). There's nothing stopping the ports from also providing 12V at least (as that would be relatively easy to implement as the voltage is native to PCs, at least desktop ones) or the rest of the PD spec AFAIK. These ports should be capable of powering any USB-C monitor - most of them probably expect 5V maximum, and they can't then need more than 15W without exceeding the USB-C spec.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. It seems that only the higher-end cards support Virtualink (makes sense). It would be neat for a low power card to have it, but then again, the monitor would likely be competing with the card itself for wattage in a big way. Probably requires a card with a PCIe plugin at least. The hunt for the portable power rig continues.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. It seems that only the higher-end cards support Virtualink (makes sense). It would be neat for a low power card to have it, but then again, the monitor would likely be competing with the card itself for wattage in a big way. Probably requires a card with a PCIe plugin at least. The hunt for the portable power rig continues.
If your PC has a modular power supply (I assume it's a desktop as you were talking about GPUs) or you're comfortable modding some cables, you could relatively easily rig up a barrel jack for any voltage supplied from the PSU, and put it anywhere suitable on the case. It won't save you cables per se, but you could run it alongside the display cable, at least :)

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
As an alternative, is it possible to connect a USB Type-C monitor to a display port on the GPU using a cable like this one from Moshi? Can DP power a monitor?

I'm looking into a similar idea to annasoh323. I plan on connecting my Type-C monitor (An Asus MB169C+) to a low profile Quadro P1000 or it's successor/AMD future rival.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
If your PC has a modular power supply (I assume it's a desktop as you were talking about GPUs) or you're comfortable modding some cables, you could relatively easily rig up a barrel jack for any voltage supplied from the PSU, and put it anywhere suitable on the case. It won't save you cables per se, but you could run it alongside the display cable, at least :)
Heh, that would be the hardcore option, wouldn't it? :)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Heh, that would be the hardcore option, wouldn't it? :)
Not particularly hardcore IMO - just practical. When I finish various other projects and can be bothered, I'm doing this with 12V to power my HDD dock and external 3.5" drives. Let's me ditch the wall wart, which is excuse enough for me (don't have a single wall outlet free near my desktop).

Doesn't require much: some wire, a crimper and/or soldering iron, a barrel jack, shrink tubing (and for me some suitable crimp pins and plug housing for my PSU). I'd say it's a 10-20 minute and $3-5 job if you have the tools already (if not it increases quickly as good crimpers are at least $40).

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Crimper? Soldering? I pray, why? Molex to 12V barrel adapters are a few bucks on eBay on Amazon. What am I missing?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Crimper? Soldering? I pray, why? Molex to 12V barrel adapters are a few bucks on eBay on Amazon. What am I missing?
Hm, hadn't even thought of looking for that, but all the ones I could find had the wrong type of housing or plug - either they're made to take in power through the jack, or to take in power through the Molex but have a male barrel jack, which is useless at that length. What I'm talking about is a molex (or SATA) power input to a panel mount female barrel jack (stuck through a hole in, for example, a spare PCIe slot cover), where you can then connect a cable (with appropriate male jacks in both ends) to power whatever you need. Couldn't see anything like that for sale.

OTS ones are short. If you route it outside the case to your portable monitor it needs to be like, 15 cm minimum?

Also, molex. Ew.
Yes, molex is a bit nasty, but it carries a lot more current than SATA. Also a bit easier to crimp, and cheaper to buy. That doesn't make it less nasty, though.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

there's a PCIe x1 card that melds a Displayport source to a USB-C connection, but it ain't cheap ,_, and still gotta figure out how to connect that to the motherboard (riser?)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY4WRBU/?tag=theminutiae-20
(at this price I'd rather top up the difference for a Titan Ridge AIC)

EDIT: people over at [H] pointed out that the card may not have enough power output to power single-cable USB-C displays (i.e. those that use the single cable for power as well)

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
I'm probably going to grab this G-Story 17.3" portable monitor for using at LANs. There's always the chance something with better specs for $230 will come out before my next LAN in September, but that's ok.
It's selling on MassDrop right now and for some reason I have a $50 off coupon.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/g-story-17-120hz-freesync-portable-gaming-monitor
  • Size: 17.3
  • Refresh Rate: 120Hz
  • Panel Type: TN
  • Inputs: USB-C, 2x HDMI
  • sRGB: 100%
  • FreeSync
  • Current price with auto coupon: $230
  • Weight: 6.8 LBs
I have a feeling the weight listed is the shipping weight and not the weight of the monitor + power adapter.