Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Dasung has a few 13.3" Paperlike Pro monitors using eInk panels at eyewatering prices but this new campaign, called the not-eReader is a 7.8" eReader-tablet-monitor with HDMI in and unusually high refresh frequency (unusual for eInk). If you consider the only other 7.8" eReader to be the Kobo Aura One at 230 USD the 370 USD for this device is not so bad at all. Seems like the campaign misses the physical dimensions but I got it from Dasung: 201.8*135.8*9.3 mm. Also notable among the comments asking whether the USB C functions as DisplayPort input and the answer is no, only the HDMI port can be used for input. Pity but my incoming One Mix Yoga 2S has a micro HDMI output so I will live. Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Dasung, I just broke my poor Aura One and stumbled upon this when looking for similar sized eBook readers.

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
Does anyone have any experience with this monitor?

I'm looking for a 120hz+ 1080p portable monitor for gaming (mainly CS:GO), to carry with my CCD MI-6 in the Tactik Duffle v2, which can fit up to 21.5'' monitors.

Since most of these are really just re-purposed laptop panels, I'm really just looking at 17.3'' monitors (unless someone knows about a portable 120hz+ 21'' monitor). I've looked at various options around this thread, and while some of them caught my eye, they're all significantly more expensive, making the one I linked above seem like a really good deal, unless I'm missing some red flag.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Does anyone have any experience with this monitor?

I'm looking for a 120hz+ 1080p portable monitor for gaming (mainly CS:GO), to carry with my CCD MI-6 in the Tactik Duffle v2, which can fit up to 21.5'' monitors.

Since most of these are really just re-purposed laptop panels, I'm really just looking at 17.3'' monitors (unless someone knows about a portable 120hz+ 21'' monitor). I've looked at various options around this thread, and while some of them caught my eye, they're all significantly more expensive, making the one I linked above seem like a really good deal, unless I'm missing some red flag.
That looks pretty good to me, I'd be comfortable buying it if I was in the market for something like that. When I was looking for 1080p 15.6" screens I looked at one very similar (at least the page of information was laid out in a very similar manner).

seto

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017
Long time lurker, finally made an account because of this thread.

So has anyone actually managed to get the sibolan 17.3" monitor running 1440p @ 120hz? I'd really like to get a portable monitor so I don't have to lug around a 27" to lans, and that resolution and refresh rate would be perfect for my use case (7700k + 1080ti)
let me know when you find this solution. i'm in the same boat!

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Not sure whether anyone else has problems viewing the content, OB1 linked the Vinpok Split, a 15.6" 10 point capacitive touch monitor with HDMI and USB Type C inputs for 200 bucks. It's on indiegogo.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Anyone have any good touchscreen suggestions? I'm looking to build a little bartop jukebox/retro arcade. 15" or 17" or larger? 1080p minimum resolution.

I guess "portable" isn't necessary (USB powered) but thin and small bezel is.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_89582/merkmale.html?setLanguage=de

There is a solution to the usb c displayport alt mode problem, now someone just needs to make this as a dongle and not a pcie card.
OH MY GOD if I'm guessing right it's just using a PCIe slot for power O_O we'd just need a x1 powered riser board just for the power for it to work

EDIT: oof that price tho ,_, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY4WRBU/?tag=theminutiae-20

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
@Aki I'm guessing to see if the USB-C controller just receives nothing and handles the DP signal without any host intervention o_o someone did it for a Thunderbolt 3 card
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/late-...or-output-macos-10-14-1-theitsage/#post-49218

EDIT: the USB controller's an ASM1142, but I don't see the pinouts for any displayport signal, so I'm guessing another unspecified controller is handling displayport + USB melding to the downstream-facing USB-C broker controller on the board o_o
whether the adapter allows for a displayport signal to be transmitted semi-passively (i.e. a USB-C connection with an active DP alt-mode transmission but no USB transmission)... yeah only one way to find out

Last edited:

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
wow
lapscreen

https://www.lapscreen.asia

anyone heard about them?

usb C and HDMI

no touch version under 250$

Dear xxx,

Great to keep informed about the LAPSCREEN® - which was born 2011 as a vision.

Seven years LAPSCREEN® are seven years of growing community of collaboration. The "secret of success" is open communication. Problems are only need to designate and should never take time in discussions. Success is growing where communication is focusing in solution.

LAPSCREEN® wants to share this positive attitude and invites you to become a free member by clicking this link:

Sincerely yours,

LAPSCREEN®

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I'm more of a single-bag-for-all-my-carry person, so if there's a backpack that'll do a 23" display with a few other things I'd be interested o_o although the problem now is my Dell screen has a stuck-on foot ,_,

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Doing a gauge of interest in a carryon friendly monitor case or backpack that would take up to a 24" monitor.

That is impossible. I tried and even a bit smaller is very near impossible. I settled on the Sharp LL-S201A as the largest yet easy to carry on monitor. I tried so many things and for so, so long. https://www.magma-bags.de/digi-control-backpack-xl.html this is one of the largest possible carry ons supporting huge rectangles -- it was built for such so it's very rectilinear and even this is only 51 x 33 internally. Run the Pythagorean theorem and divide by 25.4 and you'll arrive to 24 (23.9155). That is without any bezels whatsoever and without considering any screen ratios. 24" is straight and even 23" will never fit in a 55 cm carry when http://us.aoc.com/en/products/i2367fh/specs the active screen area for a 23" monitor is 509.18mm. You have a grand total of 41mm for bezels and backpack material. That just won't happen.

Next, you also need to consider thin. Most of these monitors are deceptively thick because of the AC/DC circuit creating a sizeable bump. It'll take way, way too much space away from the already the very precious space in the carry on backpack. You need to find a real slim one that takes DC input with the brick on the outside and then swap the brick for something small. Strive for 12V 2A, 12V 2.5A is harder to find in a small wall wart (there are wall warts but too big for my taste, this is https://www.google.com/search?q=delight+univerzális+adapter&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSlwEJLHgQwdvMBGYaiwELEKjU2AQaBAgUCAoMCxCwjKcIGmIKYAgDEii3ErYSrBKrHasSsB2uHbISrx2xEpwz9zz4PMYztD6bM54z4CaxNs0zGjCH4BPwhdPiigbk6HESrBEfNhNPd8sfbk8l3lXEPHuVeHcHYKIO596X3wyAOoqOoPEgBAwLEI6u_1ggaCgoICAESBDj_17UcM&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim_76AhtXfAhVSKlAKHex9CWUQ2A4IKigB&biw=1337&bih=694 small enough. 3A is almost impossible.

Next, you need a stand. That's a problem again! Most monitors have very unportable stands. The AOC e2351F had an awesome one, I should know, I have one, but that's 23" class, the only thing that fits into are rolltops and that truly sucks and if your luggage gets caged, you are SOL. Travel VESA stands are few and far between. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41U+f7mu8fL.jpg this yiynova stand would be awesome but it's impossible to buy separately. This is your second best https://pendisplaytablets.com/product/yiynova-vesa-stand/ bet, I have this, it doesn't fold flat. It's OK but not great and right now I have no idea where to buy it.

There, seven years of chasing the dream of flying with a 20+" monitor. I gave up, btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
maybe to some extent o_o maybe 23" displays for mobile PC booths or something (then again it's multiple units for company crating, not single personal carry, LOL)

There, seven years of chasing the dream of flying with a 20+" monitor. I gave up, btw.
oof o_o I kinda know that frustration feel

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Just getting the last couple parts of my trial solution in and will post in the next few days once everything arrives. Will take a 24" monitor with thin bezels on three sides (Dell, LG and a number of others make compatible monitors).