Pneuma: An InWin Chopin Brickless 1060 Build

goose1969x

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
This has been a project of mine for the past 8 months waiting for different parts, test fitting a million times and modding a lot of things. It is not complete as I am going to make a mounting bracket for the GPU fan and run the cable inside to a header on the mobo; however, today marks a very large milestone in this project. There are a lot of parts that could be much cleaner and I intend to also mount the C6 connector to the back once they are up on the HDPlex website. Temps for CPU are what you would expect, and for GPU were about 70c with original fan and mesh off, and 80c with Noctua fan with mesh on during Timespy, thus the upcoming GPU fan mod. This is my first SFF build besides using these parts briefly in a ZS-A4M while waiting for some key components, so go easy on my aesthetic. I would like to thank Craig for putting up with me nagging him for a 360, Josh for his words of encouragement and Windfall for the 3D print files for the power supply cover. If people are interested in photos of the modded sections I can add them onto this thread. Hope you enjoy!

Without further adieu, I present Pnuema.

IMGUR ALBUM

Specs:

CPU: 2400G
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
RAM: Corsair LPX 3200 16GB
Mobo: Asrock Fata1ty B450
GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Mini
PSU: HDPlex 400w AC/DC
Dynamo 360/Mini Combo

Edit: Link

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and Kooki

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This has been a project of mine for the past 8 months waiting for different parts, test fitting a million times and modding a lot of things. It is not complete as I am going to make a mounting bracket for the GPU fan and run the cable inside to a header on the mobo; however, today marks a very large milestone in this project. There are a lot of parts that could be much cleaner and I intend to also mount the C6 connector to the back once they are up on the HDPlex website. Temps for CPU are what you would expect, and for GPU were about 70c with original fan and mesh off, and 80c with Noctua fan with mesh on during Timespy, thus the upcoming GPU fan mod. This is my first SFF build besides using these parts briefly in a ZS-A4M while waiting for some key components, so go easy on my aesthetic. I would like to thank Craig for putting up with me nagging him for a 360, Josh for his words of encouragement and Windfall for the 3D print files for the power supply cover. If people are interested in photos of the modded sections I can add them onto this thread. Hope you enjoy!

Without further adieu, I present Pnuema.

Specs:

CPU: 2400G
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
RAM: Corsair LPX 3200 16GB
Mobo: Asrock Fata1ty B450
GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Mini
PSU: HDPlex 400w AC/DC
Dynamo 360/Mini Combo

Edit: Link

I sadly can't see the pictures because the Imgur embed sometimes glitches on this site. If you wouldn't mind, please post a hard link to the image album.

goose1969x

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Ok, link should be up. I'm still trying to workout the enclosure on the end. I had adapted it for the C14 connector, however it became a little too deep. Trying to workout either using the C6 like you had originally designed in the print, or to try to mount it in the case. Either way I will work on those end caps a bit more too!

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Okay I'll have to ask. WHY?

As impressive as the effort itself, why would you do that to yourself? Temps wouldn't be good, you hacked away the case...

And 400W on top of that... won't you better served by 200W? How much does your system saps from the wall?

Last thing I'd like to add.. forget C6.. (this is so unlike me btw) just use C8 - it's a case with plastic exterior and you already pressed for space.

But all in all it's good that someone pushes this case yet again - the best gpu one puts in there was a 1050ti LP, by @CroyAlore , IIRC. Thumbs up - and my condolences for your case T_T

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Now this is insane!
Well done, that's a lot of power in such a small space!

goose1969x

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Okay I'll have to ask. WHY?
As impressive as the effort itself, why would you do that to yourself? Temps wouldn't be good, you hacked away the case...

I think to answer your question of why, I'll have to go in a bit more depth. I first discovered this community at the end of last year, only a week or two after I had finished rebuilding/updating my mid-tower. At that time I was not going to go through the process of then downsizing everything I had just rebuilt. I had been wanting to make a HTPC/Living Room gaming pc for a while and decided I would endeavour to build an sff one to quench my thirst and get my feet wet. Soon after deciding this I came across the Pluto build, and was floored. It was beautiful, amazingly compact and looked like a great challenge to resolve. It was this coupled with the release of the HDPlex 400 that I started to become interested in building it. Of course if @CroyAlore were to do this series of mods it would be much cleaner, and his photography would look great.

And 400W on top of that... won't you better served by 200W? How much does your system saps from the wall?

As for the 400w, I could have certainly used a 200w, but it was more about fitting maximum power in, and also knowing you could put the 1080 mini in if you wanted. Re: pushing boundaries

Last thing I'd like to add.. forget C6.. (this is so unlike me btw) just use C8 - it's a case with plastic exterior and you already pressed for space.
The case is predominantly steel and aluminum, which is why I was going for the C6 connector. It has one portion at the front that is plastic.

The larger question I'd like to ask is how is this community effecting the mainstream development by larger companies? I think the spurring interest in small form factor, and the maker culture that is inherent here has led larger companies to take notice. The dedication that goes on in this community is profound and the obsession people place in their builds results in really high caliber projects. I guess this project was my attempt to join that discussion at however small an impact it might be. Perhaps I am giving too much credit to this community, however, I would like to think that through some means our "hobby" that we do for fun could be influencing a larger market for better or worse.

Now this is insane!
Well done, that's a lot of power in such a small space!

Thanks man! Really appreciate your help.

Reactions: Choidebu

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I think to answer your question of why, I'll have to go in a bit more depth. I first discovered this community at the end of last year, only a week or two after I had finished rebuilding/updating my mid-tower. At that time I was not going to go through the process of then downsizing everything I had just rebuilt. I had been wanting to make a HTPC/Living Room gaming pc for a while and decided I would endeavour to build an sff one to quench my thirst and get my feet wet. Soon after deciding this I came across the Pluto build, and was floored. It was beautiful, amazingly compact and looked like a great challenge to resolve. It was this coupled with the release of the HDPlex 400 that I started to become interested in building it. Of course if @CroyAlore were to do this series of mods it would be much cleaner, and his photography would look great.

As for the 400w, I could have certainly used a 200w, but it was more about fitting maximum power in, and also knowing you could put the 1080 mini in if you wanted. Re: pushing boundaries

The case is predominantly steel and aluminum, which is why I was going for the C6 connector. It has one portion at the front that is plastic.

The larger question I'd like to ask is how is this community effecting the mainstream development by larger companies? I think the spurring interest in small form factor, and the maker culture that is inherent here has led larger companies to take notice. The dedication that goes on in this community is profound and the obsession people place in their builds results in really high caliber projects. I guess this project was my attempt to join that discussion at however small an impact it might be. Perhaps I am giving too much credit to this community, however, I would like to think that through some means our "hobby" that we do for fun could be influencing a larger market for better or worse.

Thanks man! Really appreciate your help.

1080ti build when???

XD

dimaod

What's an ITX?
Nov 4, 2019
hey goose1969x, amazing build!

I am in the situation where I want to build a GPU inside my Chopin :)
Is there are any new options right now or coming to the market soon that are still good in terms of size/power? (and require less bodywork to Chopin)
My goal is to get higher/more stable FPS in something like Fortnite/CoD and play higher GPU demanding games.

That's what I've got inside currently:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4
G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB
Corsair MP300 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME

Thanks!

goose1969x

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Hey Dimaod

Thanks! You have a few options.

A.) No modding w/ GPU support and off the shelf flex psu I would suggest the Velka 3 by Velkase or either the ZS-A4m or K99 from TaoBao. This you would be able to directly plug and play an itx gpu, I would just double check the dimensions.

B.) For the Chopin, by far the easiest would be to put a LP 1050ti in similar to this build: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/inwin-chopin-gpu-1050-ti-mod-pluto.8227/

This requires an external brick and a Pico psu.

You could put a GPU on the back like I did with mine, but you will need to get a second mesh panel and then trim it for a fan. Also if it requires additional power besides from PCIE lane you will need a different PSU thus the HDPlex 400ac/dc in mine.

MorganBruce

Case Bender
New User
May 30, 2021
I was in the process of making the EXACT same thing. For the gpu, a galax 1070 katana (single slot) with the shroud/blower removed and a few noctua A4x10s whacked on the copper heatsink should fit inside the case with no external fan for anyone trying this (undervolt/underclock if the fans arent enough) else you can probably get any thin custom heatsink to fit nicely on any gpu pcb that fits

MorganBruce

Case Bender
New User
May 30, 2021

Here are the dimensions for reference, the cavity on the backside of the case using the bumped out mesh panel is ~190x130x30mm so this should fit