Advice Planning SFF build, need your advice.

Crazzypj

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jan 26, 2021
Hi! I am new here! Ive been reading around the forums and getting a good Idea for my first sff build.
I need the rig to mostly be for video and photo editing, using Adobe programs. Probably run just 1 or 2 games like no man's sky or similar but won't be as often played.
My current budget is 1k but I plan to use it only as a base and upgrade to my needed parts in the future.
I have so far concluded that I would get a ryzen 9 3900x to make sure its good for a long while. An ASRock fatal1ty b450 with 16gb ram( will upgrade to 32 later), 1 m.2 for main softwares and 1 huge ssd for all the work( gb depends on what I can find here locally).
For the GPU, psu and case, I am quite overwhelmed with all my findings.
I am not sure if it would be wise to go flex atx route since it would give me the sff feel or stick with sfx for safer runs. After deciding on that, I can narrow down cases and then GPU.
I am willing to change the full setup if needed, haven't bought anything yet.
Thanks in advance guys

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
For Flex ATX, one important consideration is the noise issue. One main drawback of a Flex ATX PSU is that it is usually noisy (compared with a SFX PSU). This is almost true for the stock fan of any brand, AFAIK. But, of course, you can mod it with a Noctua fan. But, nonetheless, it will not be as quiet as a SFX PSU.
For gamers, this might not be annoying because gaming music (from speakers or from headphone) often overwhelms the PSU fan noise. But, your main use is video and photo editing, I imagine you would appreciate a more quiet background while doing your job.
My 2 cents.

Crazzypj

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Jan 26, 2021
@tinyitx thanks for the advice, let me look into a few videos of the the flex and see, I usually need to wear a headphone to not get distracted but since it is portable, I may need to thing of how much it can disturb others.