Log Planning to move to SFF, need help with case decision.

Kenji

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Hello!
Finally decided to slowly make the move to an SFF build instead of buying a laptop in addition to my PC. The PC is mostly used at home, but also needs to be able to be taken to work/university in a backpack. As such I thought a small console-shaped case would be best for transporting in a backpack, because it will not tip over randomly while walking with the backpack. Therefore I thought Skyreach Mini or the Zaber Sentry would be my best bets. But the Sentry is not available for buying except for 500+€ on ebay which is a little absurd.
With the Skyreach I am worried about future upgrade due to the limitations with Voltage and GPU size and the new GPUs :x
Currently I only plan to move my current PC with a Ryzen 5 1600 and a EVGA GTX 1060 into the new case, which would not be a problem but I am quite sure I am due for some upgrades in a year or so, considering I use the PC for playing games and developing 3D applications (possibly in VR too) in Unity.

I assume my next best choice would be the Dancase, but I wanted to check if I missed any other suitable cases/options or my worries about the skyreach's future upgrades are unjustified. So I'd be glad to hear your input! :)

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
I can imagine a console style case is going to tip over in your bag more than one with a wider footprint as the weight distribution can more easily go one way or the other no? It would however be easier to slide into a laptop size pouch in a bag.
What GPU are you hoping to upgrade to? The K39 V2 with Black Ridge cooler should handle CPUs up to 3800xt/5800x territory or even 3950x/5950x if you fashion air ducts. Granted you're more limited on the GPU front. Although a 2070 or 2060 super itx would be a significant upgrade.