PC Keeps Restarting - Urgent Help Please !!!!

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Hello Guys,

I have recently built a pc with the following parts:
  1. EVGA SC GTX 1060 6Gb
  2. i3 7100
  3. 8 GB 2400 Ram
  4. HDPLEX 160w
  5. 240w Dell Brick
  6. Windows 10

During normal usage my PC works fine, if I play game (dying light or Metro last light) using the highest setting, my PC reboot on it's own. I do not know how to fix this issue ? I am thinking if this could be a hardware issue. This issue is becoming frequent during gaming sessions ? Could any of you guys help me fix this issue ?
I saw the windows event manager and I got this error:

Do I have to undervolt my CPU ? but I saw a video made by "tek everything" youtube channel powing up an i7 7700 + GTX 1060 using HDPLEX ?

Please help me out guys.

Last edited:

artimaeus

Apprentice
Apr 13, 2016
Grab one from best buy (price match amazon). If you don't end up needing it, you can return it for 15 days

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The 1060 is 150W peak TDP, so I'd wager that you were probably overstressing your 160W supply or the AC adapter and it's finally letting you know.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That 160W DC-ATX has plenty of headroom, so I doubt it's the problem unless it's just defective.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
The 1060 is 150W peak TDP, so I'd wager that you were probably overstressing your 160W supply or the AC adapter and it's finally letting you know.
I am able to play dishonored game at max setting without any reboot. However i try to do the same with latest game and i am getting reboot. Did you happen to check out the video from tek everything powering a i7 with a gtx 1060 using the samr setup as mine ? I have posted the video in this thread ?

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
That 160W DC-ATX has plenty of headroom, so I doubt it's the problem unless it's just defective.
Oh crap. My friend just bought it for me from usa. I am currently in india. Is there any way to find out if the hdplex is defective ?

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017
I had the same problem for almost a year. I run a 4770K/R9 Nano using a 720W Enermax Infiniti 2005-6 model. I had crashes-restarts every time i tried to play a game but it did not happen in all games (i had restarts every time i pressed V at AC Unity, front at Eurotruck simulator 2, etc). I underclocked everything, i removed the Nano and used the integrated and had the same issues. I read any possible and impossible forum on the internet. All those who were facing the same problem either changed the PSU, those were the most, or solved it by installing Windows again.

All the problems of mine were solved when i bought a new PSU (Corsair SF600). No restarts any more, even with overclocked CPU (@4Ghz) and extra hardware installed.

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
I have tested my i5-6500 + RX 470 (undervolted to ~120WTDP) with the HDplex 160W and also experienced reboots. My guess would be, that your system has power spikes over 240W (which is the over current protection limit of the HDplex 160W). This is what happened for me, even if the system showed pulling 200W from the wall.
Try to lower the TDP of your GPU with e.g. Afterburner. Maybe that could be a temporary solution for you.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
I have tested my i5-6500 + RX 470 (undervolted to ~120WTDP) with the HDplex 160W and also experienced reboots. My guess would be, that your system has power spikes over 240W (which is the over current protection limit of the HDplex 160W). This is what happened for me, even if the system showed pulling 200W from the wall.
Try to lower the TDP of your GPU with e.g. Afterburner. Maybe that could be a temporary solution for you.
I tried lowering the TDP to 80% and I was able to benchmark using Unigine Valley and there were no reboots happened. However I tried to play Metro Lat light at 720p, the entire system just rebooted.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
I had the same problem for almost a year. I run a 4770K/R9 Nano using a 720W Enermax Infiniti 2005-6 model. I had crashes-restarts every time i tried to play a game but it did not happen in all games (i had restarts every time i pressed V at AC Unity, front at Eurotruck simulator 2, etc). I underclocked everything, i removed the Nano and used the integrated and had the same issues. I read any possible and impossible forum on the internet. All those who were facing the same problem either changed the PSU, those were the most, or solved it by installing Windows again.

All the problems of mine were solved when i bought a new PSU (Corsair SF600). No restarts any more, even with overclocked CPU (@4Ghz) and extra hardware installed.
I think I have to go with your option.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Almost every issue with shutdowns under load when using a combination of a AC-DC brick with a DC-DC PSU turn out to the the AC-DC brick being either faulty or underspecced (little/no tolerance for momentary power spikes). AC-DC bricks designed for laptops are not designed to deal with spikes above their maximum rated load (sensitive overcurrent protection) or for rapid changes in power draw (components throttling up and down to reduce average power).

Reactions: confusis

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
I tried lowering the TDP to 80% and I was able to benchmark using Unigine Valley and there were no reboots happened. However I tried to play Metro Lat light at 720p, the entire system just rebooted.
Since this is my first time using MS afterburner, I had the decreased the power limit to 80% without decreasing the temp. I notice a small chain button in the MSI after burner which links the power limit and the GPU temp. long story short, your advice had me thinking what if I lower the pwer limit and the temp and increase the Core clock and Memory Clock. I did it and there are no more reboots happening.
Now when I play metro last light, my GPU is operating between 1964~2084 Mhz.
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Reactions: lordzahl