Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'm having some weird issues with my rig :

• Asus Z490-I (latest BIOS)
  • Intel core i9-10900T
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz
  • WD Black SN750 500GB
  • Cryorig C7G
To begin with, that build started in 2021, but has never been used due to GPU shortage (first) and lack of space / desk (second). Only briefly tested that everything booted just fine and stored it for future me to enjoy.

I recently bought an RTX A2000 12GB and wanted to install an OS for future me to enjoy it once I have my desk space issue sorted (soon enough with new furniture purchase).

The problem started when I tried to enable XMP. The computer just refuses to boot, with an orange DRAM LED ... back to 2133MHz, no XMP, the PC boots fine to BIOS.

Updated the BIOS to the lastest one (I was on rev 1003), cleared CMOS ... same problem.

Tested single DIMM in first slot with XMP: boots to BIOS just fine. Tested same DIMM in second slot: boots to BIOS .... did the same with the other DIMM: boots to BIOS just fine.

Looks like I can't XMP with both memory populated (their are from a 2 DIMMS kit). Even tried to enter timings manually, bumping the voltage a little, trying slower timings ... nothing worked.

No worries, lets run at 2133MHz, no XMPn and at least install the OS .... USB installer boots fine, a few click later: PC reboots itself 😨 (Windows 10 installer). Well, lets try with Linux, Endeavours OS installer boots just fine, I set Wifi, starts tthe install process ... PC reboots itself again 😨 ... lets try Windows 11 ... PC reboots during install (never reached the partition utility).

Well, lets try with a single DIMM, no XMP .... Windows 11 installs just fine. Installed memtest64 (for an unknown reason, W11 memory test utility just never started the actual test) .... DIMM1 tested just fine ... DIMM2 tested just fine (each in a different slot) .... turns the PC OFF, inserts both sticks, turn it ON .... PC boots, Windows boots ... and PC reboots within a few minutes 😭

I reseated the CPU, checked for bent pins, change CPU thermal paste, tried without the m.2 seated, with and without the A2000. Tried with my HDPLEX PSU as well as a known working old ATX. All the above tests have been done with the motherboard on its box, outside of my chassis.

I'm suspecting either the CPU or the motherboard, but leaning toward the CPU as both DIMM slots are fine when I run a single stick. Each DIMM test just fine, and tested them each in a different slot ... just no-no when paired together 😭

At this point, I'm just clueless. Did anyone have a similar issue ?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Phuncz