GPU Open air vs blower style GPU on chambered ITX chassis

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Hi all, I have a bit of conundrum with my next PC build. I bought my case, Silverstone RVZ02 and it has a chambered compartment for the motherboard/PSU and GPU. I've been looking for technical articles and found several that indicates that for SFF builds, it's best for a small case to use blower style GPU like for example this article http://techbuyersguru.com/video-card-comparison-blower-style-vs-open-air-coolers?page=2

However, the case used is Silverstone SG08 with only one chamber which is obviously with an open air GPU, then the heat will dissipated inside the case,

My question is will an open air GPU works better inside a chambered case like the RVZ02? I bought the window version, and basically the window is just a massive opening for both chambers (for the motherboard/PSU and the GPU).

So I assume, the hot air can evacuate faster especially with the added benefit of open air fan design that blows air to the surface of the GPU heatsink evenly.

Anyone using the same setup that can share or any general knowledge about chambered casing in general? Any input is much appreciated.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
It would depend on how it is chambered, as if the chamber lacks exhaust vents the open air card would easily cook itself, I believe @LukeD experienced some of that in his Project Orthrus!

A blower style card would benefit from easily exhausting the hot air outside directly.

Both would appreciate their own intake air, also to note is that if the chambered design lacks a good deal of its own exhaust ventilation but has some opening to another chamber, the open air one might quite possibly make its way through there, then there's also that chamber and its layout to consider in total cooling capacity.

Reactions: Soul_Est and LukeD

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
There are no good shots of the top vent pattern on the SS website, but I would hazard, based on the limited top area that a blower would likely be your best bet with this case. If you wanted to try an open air cooler, I would ensure that the fins on the sink are oriented across the card rather than along the long axis and that the shroud does not block air from moving out the ends of the fins.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
In addition to what LocoMoto wrote, what I found is that circulating air inside can get trapped in certain pockets. Those pockets would cause hot air to build up and in effect raise the temperature of the surrounding area. The way you can combat that is create shrouds to direct airflow away from those areas or use ventilation holes and fans to do it.

Cases that don't have panel mounted fans to direct airflow inside the case run a risk of heat buildup. Even if the GPU is a blower style but the CPU is a normal heatsink.
That's why both V1 and V2 of Project Orthrus are designed to push air throughout the whole case. Creating a single direction of airflow.

Reactions: LocoMoto

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
There are no good shots of the top vent pattern on the SS website, but I would hazard, based on the limited top area that a blower would likely be your best bet with this case. If you wanted to try an open air cooler, I would ensure that the fins on the sink are oriented across the card rather than along the long axis and that the shroud does not block air from moving out the ends of the fins.
You can see it here clearly, I haven't opened up my RVZ02.

But I wonder your comment on the fin sink orientation... Never put any notice on it. I understand the logic, but unlike blower gpus that is designed to blow air out, open air cards usually doesn't have clearance on the rear bracket. Like example below:

Zotac GTX 1080 Ti blower style.

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming open air style.

I think the general consensus here is leaning towards blower style GPU. Especially the issue of open air causing pocket of hot air inside the case, even with a separate chamber build. I'm planning to buy the GTX 1080Ti, particularly Zotac brand as the price is a level more affordable and I have been using the brand for the past decade with no issues. I've read that blower style gpu typically runs hotter than open air, but probably that's the case of mostly using big cases. I think I need to learn more about the blower style pros and cons before jumping the gun. Thanks all for the recommendation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
My current case is the RVZ01 from silverstone and I currently have an open air cooler. The way the case is designed, it will work with either. I would assume the RVZ02 would be similar.

However, I believe that most SFF cases work best with blower cards. So if you want the flexibility of moving to a different case whenever, I would recommend a blower card for SFF.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
RVZ02 is best with an open air cooler. I had one. Doesn't work well with a higher than 160W GPU though. The top vent isn't as well ventilated as it should be.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
Thanks all, I ordered GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition just for the blower style fan. After research, seems that Nvidia concludes that blower style fans are best optimized for SLI and SFF computers, who am I to argue with the brand owner. I'm prepared for the extra noise, but probably will switch to whatever mid high tier of open air GPU comes in the next three years, the thermal envelope should be much lower.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks all, I ordered GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition just for the blower style fan. After research, seems that Nvidia concludes that blower style fans are best optimized for SLI and SFF computers, who am I to argue with the brand owner. I'm prepared for the extra noise, but probably will switch to whatever mid high tier of open air GPU comes in the next three years, the thermal envelope should be much lower.

It depends on the case. Shitty sff case like an elite 130... Yes. But Dan case for example has shown an open air is much better because of the open ventilation.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
It depends on the case. Shitty sff case like an elite 130... Yes. But Dan case for example has shown an open air is much better because of the open ventilation.

Has it? I think @dondan recommends using a blower-style fan GPU.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Has it? I think @dondan recommends using a blower-style fan GPU.
https://hardforum.com/threads/dan-a4-sfx-the-smallest-gaming-case-in-the-world.1799326/page-55

See his testing in that post. The case is so efficient there was less than 5 degrees difference between ambient and inside the case.

This means the best cooler to pick is the one that performs best regardless of design, which usually means a big open air cooler.

Really the myth that you NEED a blower needs to die. It completely depends on the case.

Reactions: |||

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think I remember Tony Ou claiming on [H] that open-air cooled GPUs performed much better in this case. If you want to be sure, I'd shoot Silverstone an email and just ask, they'll be happy to give you their test results.