Blower or Open Air GPU - Dan A4, 3900x

Pappas

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
There's been many conflicting views on GPU coolers and I was wondering if I could get some clarity for my particular situation.

Parts:
CPU - 3900x
CPU cooler - 645LT
Mobo - x570 i aorus pro wifi
Case - Dan a4v4
GPU - tbd (rtx 2080, 2070super)

There's been quite a bit of discussion about zen 2 CPUs benefiting from lower temps in the form of higher clock speeds, and thermal throttling/high idle temps seem to be common without sufficient cooling. I was thinking that a blower style card might be beneficial in reducing temps within the case, allowing for better performance, however, i'm not sure. I also understand that blower style cards run quite loud which is why i'd prefer an open air GPU if the different is fairly negligible. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 2, 2019
I've seen a few reviews and individual tests on various forums regarding this topic. Blower style GPU coolers will vent the hot air outside of the case which will provide lower internal case temperatures, but at the cost of louder fans and associated coil whine. SFF buids will benefit, however, you can lower internal temperatures from open air GPU coolers and blower style GPU coolers by increasing the amount of cooler air being pulled into the case. You can do that by adding fans to pull air in. Just my opinion, but I would focus on making sure the case pulls as much cooler air inside as possible, before I focused on blower style vs open air GPU coolers.

Reactions: Pappas

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
It depends. I would go for open air if you have a card with very slow spinning fans, because a open air card will be also very loud if the fans spin fast because of the close distance to the vent holes that will create air turbulences. I prefer blower cards, because in idle they are also very silent and on load both cards will be loud but with a blower you will have less heat inside the case.

Reactions: Pappas

Pappas

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jul 3, 2019
It depends. I would go for open air if you have a card with very slow spinning fans, because a open air card will be also very loud if the fans spin fast because of the close distance to the vent holes that will create air turbulences. I prefer blower cards, because in idle they are also very silent and on load both cards will be loud but with a blower you will have less heat inside the case.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll end up going with a open air card. I'm looking at the 2070 super, 2080, and 2080 super. I'll likely be completing the build in a couple of weeks.