Motherboard Noob needing help: Asus Turbo or Strix in DanA4 v2?

oblongpolygon

Case Bender
Original poster
Feb 24, 2018
So, I'm new to the SFF world, and my Dan A4 v2 has just arrived, and my question is...

Can anyone suggest whether a Turbo or Strix is a better move, for the Dan A4 v2?

I'm primarily concerned about noise, I think.

I say this because I believe I could maybe address thermal issues with either:
  • ducting / compartments,
  • or adding another case fan or two,
  • or by moving into a different SFF case entirely!
Or several of the above!

Whereas, if I buy the Turbo, and it's noisy, I'm stuck with it. No returns, etc.

So is the Turbo or Strix better suited, in your experience / mind, to the Dan v2?

It may help if I add that the build will include a 8700 with the Noctua NH-L9i as the CPU cooler.

If you want to think of this as a "blower vs open-air cooler" question, that's fine... just that my choices are specifically between the Strix and Turbo, both from Asus.

And more specifically still, if you must know, my choice is between either the 1060 or 1080 Strix... or the 1060 or 1070 Turbo.

I'm really grateful in advance for any advice / guidance!

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
I have absolutely great experience with my Asus gtx 1080 strix in my Dan a4-sfx v1... It stays whisper quiet - far more quiet than my corsair sf600 PSU. I personally wouldn't get a turbo version in my life ever if I had the chance to get a Strix card. I might be overlooking some fact, but that is just my opinion.

oblongpolygon

Case Bender
Original poster
Feb 24, 2018
Thanks for the feedback!

I was recommend the Turbo, or a blower style card more generally, because of concerns about heat... but I had concerns about noise with a Turbo or blower... and noise would would bother me more than heat, frankly.

Because you mention the SF600...

Is a Corsair SF600 going to be louder than a SF400, or lower rated PSU? I mean, just generally, is a more powerful PSU going to be a louder one?

Or would that be true, with the SF400 and SF600 in particular?

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Thanks for the feedback!

I was recommend the Turbo, or a blower style card more generally, because of concerns about heat... but I had concerns about noise with a Turbo or blower... and noise would would bother me more than heat, frankly.

Because you mention the SF600...

Is a Corsair SF600 going to be louder than a SF400, or lower rated PSU? I mean, just generally, is a more powerful PSU going to be a louder one?

Or would that be true, with the SF400 and SF600 in particular?
I don't know the difference in noise between the sf600 and sf450, but I can say with confidence that the sf600 is the loudest part of my system under full load... Almost as loud as the stock cooler... :( Probably going to switch the fan out for a 92mm noctua one