Node 202 temperature and noise problem

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 5, 2015
I'm having some temp and noise problems with my new Node 202 setup. Below are all the parts I'm using. I bought the Node 202 and Silverstone PSU used. Switching to the Cryorig C7 lowered the temperatures somewhat and this cooler is more silent compared to the stock one. However the overall temps still seem too high. At idle I would expect temps to be closer to 30-35C and at load 50-55C. I'm thinking it could be the amount of paste I used (pee sized), but I'm reluctant to try again as it's a real hassle to take the board out of the case and put it back in with all the cabling.
I've removed the top cover and positioned the case horizontally under my desk: the overall temps dropped to 35-40C and settled around 40C after a while (see below Core Temp screenshot).

Another problem is the noise. The Cryorig is quite silent (at 1300 RPM), it seems most of the noise is coming from the SFX PSU. Without the top cover you can still hear it but it's tolerable. With the system closed it sounds like it's always under load even at idle. I heard this PSU could be noisey but expected it to be quiet at least at idle or low/moderate use.

Intel stock cooler:
Idle: 55C
Moderate/Normal: 65C

Cryorig C7:
Idle: 50C
Moderate/Normal: 60C

Parts:
Node 202
SilverStone ST45SF-G v2.0
i5 2500K
Cryorig C7
P8Z77-i Deluxe
Radeon HD 7850

Node 202 temps without top cover:
https://slack-files.com/T02BNCS18-F85F8N6QK-97d375de8c

If anyone has any tips to make the system more silent or lower the temp please let me know. I'm quite disappointed by the Node 202 performance and also feel it's too bulky as well. I'm considering pre-ordering the S4 mini for a truly sff setup, but that will require quite a big investment.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Pea-sized is more than you need, but shouldn't tank your temps. I'm really not familiar enough with 2nd gen i7s enough to comment on their idle states. It would be high for 3rd gen, but you are using a sff cooler and inside the Node 202 so I don't think they are abnormal. What are your temps during synthetics?

Reactions: Halfdan

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 5, 2015
I ran prime95 default "Blend" test for 15 min with open case (without top cover) and the cores were 73-75C max at 95-97 Watt. With case completely closed same test for 10 min core temps went up to 82-85C max at 100-102 Watt power. At 95 Watt, they were around 78-82C.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I feel that any cpu over 65w tdp is going to be warm in the 202. I ran a 45w haswell xeon BUT had no issues with a reference gtx 980 once you add fans to feed it.

Sorry to hear your Silverstone psu is loud. Is it the 450w bronze model? I have one in the pc I'm typing on now and it only gets audible under gaming loads. You mentioned it was used. Maybe the fan needs replaced?

The node 202 owners club on :http://www.overclock.net/t/1583897/fractal-design-node-202-owners-thread is really full of good info. Basically the best cpu cooler seems to be the Scythe Big Shruken rev2 and case fans for the gpu are a must.

I had my best results with the case in vertical position with mobo half of the case at the top. I removed all the included dust filters including the plastic framed one over the cpu. The gpu compartment does benefit from two 120mm fans (preferable with decent static pressure) running low rpms to feed air to the gpu AND keep that gpu fan from running high rpms --which will reduce noise.

I ran the SFF standby Noctua L9i but also own the Cryorig C7. For me the included fan on the C7 is too "whiny" sound wise so I always run a different fan if it fits clearance wise.

Hopefully some of this helps you out!

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 5, 2015
Thanks TheHig. I removed the filters and that seemed to help a bit. However I decided to sell the case and psu since the Node is too big for my liking anyway. Might just pull the trigger on a S4 mini case since it's the smallest case that can still house some beefy hardware, while also looking gorgeous.

Reactions: TheHig