Node 202 vs. something like Zaber Sentry or S4 Mini

dstarr3

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
So I've got an HTPC in a Thermaltake Core V1 that I want to put into a more console-sized-and-shaped case. And there's three realistic options that I've seen so far: The Node 202, the Dr. Zaber Sentry, and the S4 Mini cases.

But the thing is, the Zaber and S4 Mini are just so bloody expensive! I appreciate how much smaller they are than the Node, but I can pick up the Node for about $80, even less if I wait, whereas the others are three times the price. I'm just having a really difficult time justifying that massive cost.

The build quality is worth mentioning, all-steel construction vs. a plastic Node, etc. But... seriously, three times the cost. And I wouldn't say any of them are particularly attractive. All three of them are just boxes. The Node actually seems to be the most stylized of any of them.

Anybody else have any observations on this problem? Is there some crucial failing on the Node or some amazing feature on the Zaber or S4 Mini that I'm overlooking that would really make them worth the added cost? Because, at the moment, while I'd like to get, y'know, a nice case, just, the sheer expense is overwhelming. These cases cost as much as my GPU.

The case will house a 4690k and single-fan 1060 6GB. I'll have to buy a new PSU regardless of which case I get.

Thanks, everyone!

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
If you're worried about cost, you're not going to beat the price point of mass produced cases like the Node 202 or one of the Raven cases. I haven't handled any of the 'over the counter' cases myself so I can't really comment on them, but the advantage of them being more ubiquitous is that it is pretty easy to find lots of build logs and reviews of them.

I will say I have a S4 mini in brushed aluminum and I think it's the most attractive computer case I've ever owned. Yes, I appreciate the size of it but I got it around the exact same time I got a Logic Supply MC600 in the mail. They're both awesome cases for what they are (and have a similar design), but the Mini has so much more flair and character and its build quality is obviously a huge part of its premium.

If you look at the MC600, you can see it's made of fairly thin steel, it also occupies a barely smaller volume than the S4 Mini. (And in my opinion, that extra bit of volume is put to very good use in the S4.) If you look at the S4 Mini, I'm personally surprised by the thickness (gauge?) of the aluminum used and it's still extremely light. Speaking of the aluminum, the brushed aluminum is much prettier in person than any amount of pictures and video and hype prepared me for. That said, I haven't actually moved my system into the S4 Mini yet.

Now, if you compare the volume of the S4 Mini to most of the other alternatives, it's a lot smaller than the Node or the Sentry and I personally liked that a lot. I also personally had to part with my massive GTX 980 so maybe that is a concession others wouldn't want to make.

Your hardware should work fine in a S4 Mini (or possibly even a Logic Supply MC600 if you're pinching pennies), I cramped my i7-4790K in a mini-box M350 and ran games off of the iGPU and with a little bit of undervolting (and overclocking on the iGPU), I never hit worrysome thermals or bothersome noise from the CPU cooler. I'm using the popular Noctua NH-L9i for whatever that's worth. You might end up needing to put more elbow grease into a S4 Mini build or a Logic Supply MC600 build if only because the power supply and cabling situation is a little more complicated than in something like the Node 202. The MC600 is very liable to need extra ventilation cut out of its panels if you want to run a 1060 in it. It's not to say that the Node 202 isn't open to modding, but its already got its own 'character' compared to the more blank slate look of the other cases and its plastic construction doesn't make things any easier to use power tools on it.

The sentry looks like an attractive case and an elegant design, but I don't personally know much about it.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
My TLDR is, if you don't care for the aesthetics and you care for your budget: The Node 202 or another main-manufacturer case will probably suit you well. I personally have found a lot of satisfaction in putting the extra effort and consideration (and bucks) into aesthetics, but used to not so I could relate whichever way you go. :)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
The very nice cases around here tend to be expensive because of premium build quality and small batch size. I don't personally own an SFF case (yet!) but I often read through the threads that are posted here in the Custom Cases section to get a feel for why things are a certain way.

fminus

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 14, 2016
I have a Node 202. It's a piece of shit furnace that traps in hot air and slowly cooks ur components to death. Air circulation is non existent on this thing.

dstarr3

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
Awesome. Thanks for the input, guys. I might just go with the Node then. Turn off the CPU's and GPU's boosting, then thermals and acoustics should stay in range, no problem.

Reactions: Biowarejak