Kozen117

Case Bender
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
My CPU at stock settings runs at 85C when gaming, resulting me in undervolting the CPU to keep temperatures down.

Parts list:

* Case: Fractal Design Node 202
* CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
* CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a
* MOBO: ASRock - B450 Gaming-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4
* RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
* PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
* Storage 1: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 SSD
* Storage 2: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" SSD
* GPU: MSI Gaming Z RTX 2070**********

GPU Link: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2070-GAMING-Z-8G

Now I know there's a glaring issue with my GPU. It's LARGE for this case. It's 2.5 slots. The GPU fills the ENTIRE GPU cell of the case, but it still fits after removing the little GPU Support tab/feature (circled in red). I actually had to make a makeshift GPU support tab to hold the GPU in place which works wonderfully.

That being said, my GPU (using stress tests) reaches 80C at max with no case fans. While gaming it reaches 73-75C. Not bad for a build without any case fans.

However... My CPU is running REALLY hot. When I first tried Rainbow Six Siege it spiked up to 80C very quickly and goes up to 85C as the game goes on. On idle, it ran at a warm 65C. Why is that? Is my CPU cooler not doing its job? Do I need a better CPU Cooler?

I checked AMD's website and it said that the Ryzen 2700x's max temperature is 85C so it got me very worried. This resulted in my undervolting my CPU.

Help!

Kozen117

Case Bender
Original poster
Nov 26, 2018
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x

I'm not sure if your cooler - Noctua NH-L9a - is rated for 105W TDP CPU...

Wow you're right. I made a HUGE mistake thinking this was the best CPU Cooler because of its size. I actually ordered the C7 Cu a couple days ago and it looks like its TDP is high enough for my CPU.

Thank you so much!

EDIT: Did I ruin my CPU by doing this? It got two 85C twice... Ever since then I haven't run any games on it and kept it undervolted.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Wow you're right. I made a HUGE mistake thinking this was the best CPU Cooler because of its size. I actually ordered the C7 Cu a couple days ago and it looks like its TDP is high enough for my CPU.

Thank you so much!

EDIT: Did I ruin my CPU by doing this? It got two 85C twice... Ever since then I haven't run any games on it and kept it undervolted.

I assume the CPU will reduce the speed (throttle down) to stay within its thermal limit.

However, do find a better cooler right away. Not sure what's the effect on the long run.

If the C7 works then it's good. Else try to check other offers from Silverstone, like the ARGON series, or Thermalrights, or Shurikens.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017

Thank you so much!

Don't worry, nothing wrong with happen to your CPU, they take it into consideration when they're designed so if it gets too hot, it will slow itself down and prevent anything wrong happening to it. 85C on stock clocks is however high, so switching a cooler is advised. Alpenfohn Black Ridge should be able to get a few degrees down, but don't expect anything extraordinary, it is a pretty hot chip for this case and the cooling is limited so you will experience high temps with any possible cooling solution.

Reactions: NateDawg72

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
it is a pretty hot chip for this case and the cooling is limited so you will experience high temps with any possible cooling solution.

Add to that the RTX dumping hot air inside the chassis. A friend of mine had to switch to a blower type GPU to prevent heat related crash is his 202, with a 1070 and an i5.

Reactions: Phuncz

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not sure what your computing requirement is, but do you really need that 2700X? If not, perhaps you can switch to the Ryzen 1700 (the 65W variant)? That'll help bringing down the thermal. With that, you can keep using your Noctua L9a.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
The 202 is notorious for bad airflow. They need to understand looks ain't everything (not saying it looks pretty) and start adding vents.

Reactions: NateDawg72

RaDus

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2018
Did you even read the TDP Guidelines for your cooler on Noctua's website?
It clearly states:

For the 2700X - Recommended with good case ventilation only, might drop below base clock speeds with continuous 100% load.

This is clearly a case of a self inflicted issue, caused by lack of research. Case closed.

doomsdaydexter

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2017
Try undervolting the GPU. Also there is a fair air passage between the GPU and CPU compartment in this case - using something to seal the gap - normally helps as whichever compartment is over pressure (hint the dual fan GPU side) it will fill the opposite chamber with hot air. Also may work better orientating the case opposite way up (assuming it is in vertical orientation).

Regards

D