NH-L12S with 120x25mm fan better than U9S copycat cooler in my testing

Keleche

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
I modded an Arctic P12 120x25mm fan so it'd fit under a NH-L12S then threw it in my Ncase M1. Previously I had the ID-Cooling SE 914 XT (Noctua U9S copycat) with a Noctua 92x25 mounted on the cooler, and another Noctua 92x25 mounted on the rear of the case. Both of the Noctua fans were set to exhaust out the rear. For my testing I ran all case fans at 70% and my 3070 FE fans at 30% (the minimum). The GPU is +125/+1000 overclocked and the 5600X CPU has PBO enabled with no manual under/overclocking. I then opened Cyberpunk 2077 and left it for 10 minutes. I chose that game because it uses the CPU a lot more than other games while keeping the GPU at 100% utilization.

The NH-L12S CPU temp was 3.5C lower than the U9S copycat, and the GPU temp was 4.0C lower. Additionally, the overall noise was lower as well due to 120x25 fans being used instead of 92x25 ones.

I also briefly tried an EK-120 AIO and the NH-L12S with the 120x25mm fan beat that as well surprisingly!

It's also important to note that the GPU temps are able to stay so low while at 30% fan speed due to two 120x25 Arctic P12s mounted underneath it in addition to an Arctic P12 exhausting out the side via a duct I designed and 3d printed.

Here are some photos! NH-L12S with a 120x25mm fan - Imgur

Reactions: aquelito

lodger

Cable Smoosher
Jul 8, 2018
Now before i fitted my AIO , I also played around with a NH-L12s and U9S and i also found the L12 better . I ran two fans on the 12 with no side fans.
I cant give you temps etc as that was last year. I can tell you with the AIO my GPU temps are thought the roof and My 3080 FE runs its fans at max..

I am still toying with the idea go back to air cooling...
So Yes i fully agree with you.

Would you care to share you Duct design/ STL..

Keleche

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
Now before i fitted my AIO , I also played around with a NH-L12s and U9S and i also found the L12 better . I ran two fans on the 12 with no side fans.
I cant give you temps etc as that was last year. I can tell you with the AIO my GPU temps are thought the roof and My 3080 FE runs its fans at max..

I am still toying with the idea go back to air cooling...
So Yes i fully agree with you.

Would you care to share you Duct design/ STL..
https://ibb.co/KGkLVNz

As you can see from this render of the duct, it is designed specifically for the 3070 FE; however, I may be able to modify it for the 3080 FE. Do you have a 3d printer? Regardless I'd just need to know the distance from the front of the card to the fan on the back, and the diameter of the fan itself. It helps an incredible amount by sucking that hot air that's typically dumped into the case right out the side with a 120mm fan.

lodger

Cable Smoosher
Jul 8, 2018
https://ibb.co/KGkLVNz

As you can see from this render of the duct, it is designed specifically for the 3070 FE; however, I may be able to modify it for the 3080 FE. Do you have a 3d printer? Regardless I'd just need to know the distance from the front of the card to the fan on the back, and the diameter of the fan itself. It helps an incredible amount by sucking that hot air that's typically dumped into the case right out the side with a 120mm fan.
Yes i do have a printer, Ahh your right the 3070 dont have the fan on the back side. I may take my AIO out and have a play.

lodger

Cable Smoosher
Jul 8, 2018
Ha Keleche,

Just to let you know i have started messing. And at the mo.....

The AIO has gone and i am running the U9S , Gpu Temps have dropped to 65c From 85 and CPU hits 81 max, I have to say this is way better then the AIO . I am logging temps for a week then i will dig out my L12s.

I have to say thou i am not running the nocta fans . But BeQuiet ones . I could not find the Noctas in the Shed lol.

Noise level wise at idol you can tell she is back air cooled but still very quiet. But gaming its like night and day. With the GPU fans not running up so much . i am over the moooooon.

I will report back in about a week When i find the L12s in the shed.....lol