Noctua Fans for 3080 Deshroud in Bottom of Ncase M1 with Mesh Side Panels... Model and intake vs Outtake

SilentSniper

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Hi All,
As the title says, can you please advice on which fans are best for attaching to the GPU hestsink. Noise is the biggest priority with thermal performance being a close second. I want as silent as possible.

2 x Noctua NF-A12x25

Or

2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM

I know the NF-A12 is regarded as the best, if not one for the best, all round fans money can buy, but I wasn't sure if the nf-f12 would be better when zip tied directly to the hest sink (to eliminate any gap between hest sink and case fan locations).

The will be a Nh-u9s cooling the cpu with a second matching fan mounted to either the rear fo the case or the other side of cpu cooler.

I am considering having both the gpu and cpu both extracting. Alternively having the GPU intake and cpu extract, but I was concerned about hot air from the gpu affecting the psu and cpu. I welcome thoughts on this as well please.

Thanks for the help

Thac0

Caliper Novice
Nov 12, 2020
How much of a gap is there once the fans are installed? I wouldn’t think it could make a big difference in gpu thermals. If you’re willing to test it would be interesting to see how much difference a few mm makes.

Personally I’d try both intake and exhaust and see what thermals look like. I’d try exhaust first cause I think intake would be better, but I could see an argument for exhaust being better.

SilentSniper

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
How much of a gap is there once the fans are installed? I wouldn’t think it could make a big difference in gpu thermals. If you’re willing to test it would be interesting to see how much difference a few mm makes.

Personally I’d try both intake and exhaust and see what thermals look like. I’d try exhaust first cause I think intake would be better, but I could see an argument for exhaust being better.
I am not sure but I know that a deshroud isn't recommended on gpu that are less than 2.5 slots thick because the gap is too large and and my gpu is only 2.2 thick. a tight fitment with a 25mm fan will only be possible if I zip tie the fans firmly to the heatsinks.

I think intake would be better for gpu temps, but that will bring lots of hot air up into the case. This means that if the cpu cooler fans are on exhaust it will be sucking in the hot air from the gpu.

Unless cpu is set to intake one with the gpu and the mesh sides let all the hit air escape. If that doesn't work loads of hot air will be hitting the psu and it has theoadest fans fo the whole setup.

Any thoughts ?

Thac0

Caliper Novice
Nov 12, 2020
There's lots of ways to tweak your cooling. You could build air channels to help separate the two components. You could go positive or negative pressure in your case. A lot of this depends on workload, how much heat you actually need to clear from your case and your ambient temperatures.

I'd likely go with the all rounder fans (A12) over the static pressure ones (F12). I don't think you'll need the extra static pressure for your case. And the A12's will be more flexible while you figure out what works best for your situation. And worst case, buy both and then sell which ones don't work for you.

Reactions: SilentSniper

SilentSniper

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
There's lots of ways to tweak your cooling. You could build air channels to help separate the two components. You could go positive or negative pressure in your case. A lot of this depends on workload, how much heat you actually need to clear from your case and your ambient temperatures.

I'd likely go with the all rounder fans (A12) over the static pressure ones (F12). I don't think you'll need the extra static pressure for your case. And the A12's will be more flexible while you figure out what works best for your situation. And worst case, buy both and then sell which ones don't work for you.
Thanks. I think you are right and am going with thr A12s.

I don't know much about positive and negative pressure coolig designs but I am leaning towards intake for both the cpu and gpu and relying on the mesh in the sides and top to expel all the heat. I just hope it doesn't cause the sf750 power supply to make huge amounts of noise.

Thac0

Caliper Novice
Nov 12, 2020
Positive pressure = Most/All fans are intaking cool air into the case and hot air leaks out through mesh.
Negative pressure = Most/All fans are exhausting hot our out of the case and cool air leaks in through the mesh.
Neutral/balanced pressure = Intake and exhaust are roughly balanced. Cooling is guided in a specific direction through the case.

All of them have have use cases where they perform well. There's a lot of theories about what's best, but I recommend testing and seeing what works for your setup. And not just benchmark & stress testing, but actual workloads you perform. You may find that a cooling setup that doesn't work for 24/7 stress testing turns out to be ideal for your typical daily use. Could be something as simple as not liking warm exhaust air blowing over you.

Reactions: SilentSniper

SilentSniper

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Positive pressure = Most/All fans are intaking cool air into the case and hot air leaks out through mesh.
Negative pressure = Most/All fans are exhausting hot our out of the case and cool air leaks in through the mesh.
Neutral/balanced pressure = Intake and exhaust are roughly balanced. Cooling is guided in a specific direction through the case.

All of them have have use cases where they perform well. There's a lot of theories about what's best, but I recommend testing and seeing what works for your setup. And not just benchmark & stress testing, but actual workloads you perform. You may find that a cooling setup that doesn't work for 24/7 stress testing turns out to be ideal for your typical daily use. Could be something as simple as not liking warm exhaust air blowing over you.
Got it. Thanks

I will go for a positive pressure build I think and see how I get on with it.