S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
So, after awhile, a 'Frankenstein' style build has been throw together to see how it fairs. *wipes brow* that's a tight fit.

The very slight lean I mention below:

Few notes:

1.) While I was putting it together, the 24pin custom threaded cable/connection came VERY close to end connections the Vandal switch I had (like, smashing up against it). Had to rewire it so it wasn't so long and bended it.
2.) The custom threaded 24pin cable I got is incredibly stiff. I tried bending it the best I could but because of it's shape, I couldn't fit both G.Skill Trident RAM sticks in (might have to get something slimmer).
3.) I haven't taped the HDPlex 400 yet because the pressure of the case and cables keeps it fitted to the side of the case.
4.) The GPU still has this very slight lean to it. I'm positive I installed it correctly (inside the pin slides, screws are in and tight), but the plastic cover protrudes out the front at the top the slightest more than at the bottom. This makes using the vented plate not fit unless I finagle the installation again to see if it fixes it.
5.) Still needs rewiring/organizing. Organizing the stiff sleeved cables seems to be the hardest challenge.
6.) Need new outer case black screws that aren't stripped (if you notice, you can see some are, some aren't).
7.) No heat issues so far, but I haven't gamed on it yet and it's now October in NY so the temperatures are slowly going down.
8.) There is certainly a specific order to re-install the outer casing screws (have to find that out).
9.) DC jack could use some readjusting. It looks off centered or leaning when plugged in.

Uhhh if I think of anymore, I'll post. I think I'm going to purchased another bezel (3D) to fix the open front (which leaves me a vent plate with no purpose).

Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016

WHOA that's one nice hot-rod look O_O

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Good News everyone!

POST-build Mods/Update!

1. I had bought some JBWELD Clear Epoxy a while back so I finally had time to do this epoxy mod.
2. While the S4 Mini was open, I did some SATA cable management.
3. I ran coil whine tests before and after the epoxy was applied (Before & After videos included)
4. I finally got all my regular traveling gaming stuff in my backpack to test fit it with my S4 Mini, power brick, keyboard, controllers, power strip & cables! :D

Up next? Well...

having been inspired by ceski, DocH, and Reldey, it's:

The ultimate ZOTAC 1080 Mini "Cool & Quiet" Mod, using x2 NFA9x14 PWM (2500RPM versions taken from the NHL9i).

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So, after awhile, a 'Frankenstein' style build has been throw together to see how it fairs. *wipes brow* that's a tight fit.

The very slight lean I mention below:

Few notes:

1.) While I was putting it together, the 24pin custom threaded cable/connection came VERY close to end connections the Vandal switch I had (like, smashing up against it). Had to rewire it so it wasn't so long and bended it.
2.) The custom threaded 24pin cable I got is incredibly stiff. I tried bending it the best I could but because of it's shape, I couldn't fit both G.Skill Trident RAM sticks in (might have to get something slimmer).
3.) I haven't taped the HDPlex 400 yet because the pressure of the case and cables keeps it fitted to the side of the case.
4.) The GPU still has this very slight lean to it. I'm positive I installed it correctly (inside the pin slides, screws are in and tight), but the plastic cover protrudes out the front at the top the slightest more than at the bottom. This makes using the vented plate not fit unless I finagle the installation again to see if it fixes it.
5.) Still needs rewiring/organizing. Organizing the stiff sleeved cables seems to be the hardest challenge.
6.) Need new outer case black screws that aren't stripped (if you notice, you can see some are, some aren't).
7.) No heat issues so far, but I haven't gamed on it yet and it's now October in NY so the temperatures are slowly going down.
8.) There is certainly a specific order to re-install the outer casing screws (have to find that out).
9.) DC jack could use some readjusting. It looks off centered or leaning when plugged in.

Uhhh if I think of anymore, I'll post. I think I'm going to purchased another bezel (3D) to fix the open front (which leaves me a vent plate with no purpose).
Dude that build looks great! I wonder why it's sticking out, isnt that one of the new 3D bezels? Ah i see its the 2D vented bezel... is it an older 5mm one like mine? or a thicker 7mm one like the 3D bezels that can fit the entire 1080 /1080Ti mini?

What I would do if I were you is remove the fan shroud on the 1080 mini. It should all fit inside the S4 mini front bezel then, and then you can put your vent cover back on. :D

BUT if you want to keep the shroud, you could remove it and dremel off the tips that are hanging outside the front bezel, its what Josh did to my 1080 in his 1080 mini video here at 6:23. :) Hope that helps!

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
Dude that build looks great! I wonder why it's sticking out, isnt that one of the new 3D bezels? Ah i see its the 2D vented bezel... is it an older 5mm one like mine? or a thicker 7mm one like the 3D bezels that can fit the entire 1080 /1080Ti mini?

What I would do if I were you is remove the fan shroud on the 1080 mini. It should all fit inside the S4 mini front bezel then, and then you can put your vent cover back on. :D

BUT if you want to keep the shroud, you could remove it and dremel off the tips that are hanging outside the front bezel, its what Josh did to my 1080 in his 1080 mini video here at 6:23. :) Hope that helps!
Is this a service that Josh would offer. I like the standard, wrap around bezel the best, but I want to stuff a 1080ti in it.

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017

Thanks much but it's got some more work to be done. It is the open vented bezel, I believe one of the first. I want a 3D one now so I don't have to use the vented plate. I could experiment taking the shroud off, yeah. I might try that today.

Is this a service that Josh would offer. I like the standard, wrap around bezel the best, but I want to stuff a 1080ti in it.

I really liked that black wrap around bezel piece, as well, but can't use it with these long cards :(

doogie

Trash Compacter
Nov 28, 2016
Need to pick up one of those sweet new machined power switches - any idea when the short ones will be back in?

..and those badass new SkyWire cables! Damn!

Last edited:
Reactions: Julio Espinosa

mimoto

Chassis Packer
Apr 11, 2016
Random question, has anyone flown with one of these cases in their carry-on? Has TSA been like "What the heck is this?"
I don’t know about TSA but I flew from Australia to Europe with an S4 in my carry-on and the security in Frankfurt scanned it twice and then commented on how small it was (while holding it with one hand, 5ft off the ground). It definitely draws attention.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Random question, has anyone flown with one of these cases in their carry-on? Has TSA been like "What the heck is this?"

I build the MINI for travel and have flown with them a ton. TSA gives me less crap than when I used to bring a laptop, but you do get alot of questions from computer enthusiasts wearing uniforms!

Dubnobass

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2017
I was able to get my hands on at s4 Mini and am super pumped to get it built. Josh this case is just so beautiful. The amount of time you must have dumped into this has to be staggering. You do amazing work. Even if I wanted a 1080 I couldn't even imagine eliminating this wrap around bezel, it's just sick. I like this so much I will be ordering one as soon as you have another preorder for my son.

Last edited:

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
I have my z370 Strix board, msi 1060 and nvme drive all ready and waiting to go into my s4. i5 8400 will be here Monday so I can finish it all. I’m going to be swapping out the hdplex 400 in favor of a 160 unit in this pc. The 400 can go in something else once orders open up again.

Reactions: Biowarejak