S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
It was boxed and bubble wrapped. Not too sure what type of force usps had to apply to cause this to happen.

An insane amount. I'm not sure that damage could be done if you dropped the S4 MINI onto concrete from 6 feet. I'm serious! Maybe it it was loaded with parts, but I don't think it weighs enough otherwise.

They must have run it over with a forklift....

jimboobrien

What's an ITX?
Sep 18, 2017
My Noctua NF-A12x15 seems to be just slightly too big to sit behind my graphics card. I could fit it in there if I wanted to but it would push the graphics card and also bulge the side of the case a bit. Has anyone run into this issue as well?
Yes, I have had the same issue, but I got mine to fit. I opened my case and very carefully pushed my GTX 1060 toward the other side panel, and tried to get the edge of the case with the graphics cards ports to flex a little and allow some extra milimeters of space. Which worked for me. It fit snug and didn't need any modifications. Haven't looked at comparison of temps yet. I don't know about how effective it has been, I just got it to fit.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
An insane amount. I'm not sure that damage could be done if you dropped the S4 MINI onto concrete from 6 feet. I'm serious! Maybe it it was loaded with parts, but I don't think it weighs enough otherwise.

They must have run it over with a forklift....
Yea I'll probably just do a preorder of a new one when you start selling again and then make due with this one for now.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017

Signols

Chassis Packer
Aug 13, 2017
I wouldn't recommend doing this as it technically doesn't fit and because of airflow concerns (there is contact between the edge of the GPU heatsink and the bezel). However, the GPU temperature is fine with some undervolting. I prefer the clean look of the stock S4 Mini bezel so I'm okay with these trade-offs. Note: I had to separate and reassemble the inner frame to install the GPU as described here.

This case is really beautiful. To repeat a comment others have made, the craftsmanship is really apparent when you see it in person. Even the silver panels are growing on me...

So where did you attach the two noctua fans power cables? Also exactly what fans are you using?

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

quetzacoatlx

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 11, 2017
Zotac 1080 Ti Mini with stock S4 Mini bezel:

I wouldn't recommend doing this as it technically doesn't fit and because of airflow concerns (there is contact between the edge of the GPU heatsink and the bezel). However, the GPU temperature is fine with some undervolting. I prefer the clean look of the stock S4 Mini bezel so I'm okay with these trade-offs. Note: I had to separate and reassemble the inner frame to install the GPU as described here.

This case is really beautiful. To repeat a comment others have made, the craftsmanship is really apparent when you see it in person. Even the silver panels are growing on me...
Looks good. Besides, where did you put the power connectors?

Last edited:

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Thinking about selling my 1080 strix and getting maybe a 1070 or a 1060 for when I snag a S4 mini. Is there a "best" 1070 (or 1060) to throw in the S4?

EDIT: scratch that I think I'll snag a EVGA 1060 considering that it will only ever be on a 1080p display.

Last edited:

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Thinking about selling my 1080 strix and getting maybe a 1070 or a 1060 for when I snag a S4 mini. Is there a "best" 1070 (or 1060) to throw in the S4?

EDIT: scratch that I think I'll snag a EVGA 1060 considering that it will only ever be on a 1080p display.

Best depends on your use case and how much (if any) modding you wish to do.

Any of the ITX-sized GTX 1060's should fit in there with no problems, and likely no modding. The reference PCB of the 1060 is already ITX-sized, so it's simply up to manufacturers to design ITX-sized coolers for the card and throw it on a stock PCB.

The 1070's are another story.
The ITX-sized PCBs of the GTX 1070 and above are custom designed by manufacturers.

- KFA2/Palit/Galax 1070 mini one I believe fits normally without any modding. The PCB is tiny with a small cooler added on top.
- Gigabyte's 1070 mini will need modding of the HDPLEX DC jack (either connector itself or relocating it on the case) as the PCB is too tall (same for it's 1080 mini). Also it's a damn tight fit getting the 8 pin power connector seated.
- MSI's 1070 Aero ITX. The DC jack also needs modding. It can be flipped but then the jack sits at an awkward angle.
- Zotac 1070 mini, like it's 1080/1080 Ti big brothers requires the 3D bezel to fit in. Has an extremely tight fit with the 8 pin power connector. Also requires modding of the HDPLEX DC Jack.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Finished stripping the paint...Again.
My wife thinks I should leave it bare. But I do have VHT wrinkle paint. Decisions decisions.
that cleaned up nicely!! yeah i dunno i mean if you go bare you still may want to coat it with something. Could also do a skin. So many choices!! A matte white or pearl white would look killer too

Not sure how much damage USPS did if there are dents. Maybe some bondo would work prior to painting to smooth all if any imperfections? make sure it is a really thin application so your not speeding up the oxidation of the aluminum. Just a thought there may be better products.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey @Josh | NFC or anyone else who might be able to pitch in,

Any pointers for getting 3D-printed side panels for a S4 mini? I'd like to get one with a custom design 'cut out' of it--at least for the "top" of the case. Any particular sites or services or folks you'd recommend? (@Biowarejak, can you print pieces that large?)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Finished stripping the paint...Again.
My wife thinks I should leave it bare. But I do have VHT wrinkle paint. Decisions decisions.

Go get a skin made or polish it! It only takes about 20 hours of polishing! :)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey @Josh | NFC or anyone else who might be able to pitch in,

Any pointers for getting 3D-printed side panels for a S4 mini? I'd like to get one with a custom design 'cut out' of it--at least for the "top" of the case. Any particular sites or services or folks you'd recommend? (@Biowarejak, can you print pieces that large?)
It's possible to do, but there would likely be seams from joining what doesn't fit on the bed. :)