S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
That would be an interesting mod, I don't see why it couldn't be done as long as your GPU was short enough to not cause issues with the cable or you mounted the USB port low enough that it didn't interfere.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC Have you or anyone else, used the S4 without a bezel..and put a custom vent plate with USB ports instead?

I haven't because I think that would look really ugly and the MINI is so small that getting to the back usually isn't an issue for me. I have a USB hub mounted to my desk because I have so many USB devices and drives anyway.

Now for you, if you don't care about looks and your GPU is short enough, I could make you a custom bezel for this. I don't think I will ever sell this on my store though.

Let me know my friend!

Peace

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So I'm still waiting on my LP53 to arrive, XD the wait is killing me I want to test it out, get my temp numbers, and then delid this 7700k already! :(
Just got a standard black S4. Some quick pics with Silverstone SG08, ML08-H and Antec ISK 110.
Dang, that S4 is tiny compared to the ML08B, it's crazy for me to think I almost went with the ML08B, wow!

Reactions: cmyk78

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
My S4 Mini is being put to good use... Sorry guys, the new Zelda is just too awesome.

cant see your screenshot?

But yeah bro, playing the New Zelda in CEMU at 4K on my S4 mini is a DREAM! Once April 2nd rolls around the the new build of CEMU fixes almost 99% of the bugs and physics glitches, I'll be starting a new game and it's going to be GLORIOUS!

Also... I saw this post on reddit today:
https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/61poc5/my_s4_mini_came_in/
A guy was able to fit a Cryorig C7 into his S4 mini with a custom xt140 fan... I had no idea this was possible!

Now I'm left wondering and browsing the web to figure out if the C7 with that fan can outperform an NHL9i or the LP53 even. If I find indications that it can... well I know what I'll be buying next. XD I am SUCH A WHORE for low CPU temps, dear GOD what is WRONG with me. XD

I haven't because I think that would look really ugly and the MINI is so small that getting to the back usually isn't an issue for me. I have a USB hub mounted to my desk because I have so many USB devices and drives anyway.

Now for you, if you don't care about looks and your GPU is short enough, I could make you a custom bezel for this. I don't think I will ever sell this on my store though.

Let me know my friend!

Peace
Oooh I really like that internal USB 3 header to external USB port thingy. It's got screw holes... If I had known about this one I would have bought it and cut holes along the S4's rear vent holes (by the GPU's Rear I/O) kinda like how you showed everyone how to reposition the DC/DC power port for an "easier" Gigabyte GTX 1070 mini fitment. Then I'd have like... a really slick custom additional USB ports! But I'm happy how mine is so far, my usb parts are just loose inside the case, containing 2 wireless adapters for my wireless peripherals, freeing up USB ports on my rear I/O. :D

Last edited:

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
@CubanLegend if you want i can try the C7 with a prolimatech ultra sleek vortex 14 tonight. (if it fits over my P8Z77I)
the test would be with my sidepanel off so e i don't have my G-Unique hey, but i figure it would be better than nothing.

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016
I can relate.
So expensive!
My FM2+ Carrizo based build was <1k (until I added the custom paint job) and I'm hitting 100+ FPS on the games I play.
This is with the Inno3D GTX 1060. 1080/1070 seems like an overkill for the games I play. Then again I'm not opting for 4k resolution gaming as I'm running 1080p with a 144hz monitor for performance not prettiness. I actually still haven't decided if I want to downgrade to an internal low profile 1050ti system or not. Mostly, I just wish that card was out before the one I bought as it seems the most economical and viable one for 1080p gaming. I'm really happy with my blue LED dual 120mm fans but that Cryorig 140mm fan mod does look amazing.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
So expensive!
My FM2+ Carrizo based build was <1k (until I added the custom paint job) and I'm hitting 100+ FPS on the games I play.

Yeah, I definitely feel like my 1070 is overkill... I played League of Legends on it the other day! XD

The main reason I opted for the 1070 is because I was moving from a 980 and the 1060 is very close in terms of performance. I wanted to "upgrade." I'm also hoping (perhaps in vain) that, if the 1070 is too hot, I can turn its performance down and either be more powerful than a 1060 or be similar in performance to a 1060 with lower thermals.

I'm still struggling to figure out what CPU is right for me. I think something from R5 will be the sweet spot, but we still have a pretty scarce projected ITX mobo market.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@CubanLegend if you want i can try the C7 with a prolimatech ultra sleek vortex 14 tonight. (if it fits over my P8Z77I)
the test would be with my sidepanel off so e i don't have my G-Unique hey, but i figure it would be better than nothing.
That would be nice to see results on it, do you have baseline temps from an NHL9i to compare? I'm really looking for comparative temps between the C7 and the NHL9i, i know the C7 is rated for 100w CPUs and the NHL9i is rated for 65w CPUs, so I'm expecting better cooling... but ultimately, I'll have to testfit it onto my z270i STRIX myself since I cant find anyone who's tried to mount a C7 onto that mobo yet... :(

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
That would be nice to see results on it, do you have baseline temps from an NHL9i to compare? I'm really looking for comparative temps between the C7 and the NHL9i, i know the C7 is rated for 100w CPUs and the NHL9i is rated for 65w CPUs, so I'm expecting better cooling... but ultimately, I'll have to testfit it onto my z270i STRIX myself since I cant find anyone who's tried to mount a C7 onto that mobo yet... :(
i don't have any written down, but I'll make sure i do that before swapping coolers.
any specific tests youd like me to run? I don't bench my CPU often.
also, if you like the results after my tests/ want to run your own i can send you my C7 for shipping + $10 or something.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
i don't have any written down, but I'll make sure i do that before swapping coolers.
any specific tests youd like me to run? I don't bench my CPU often.
also, if you like the results after my tests/ want to run your own i can send you my C7 for shipping + $10 or something.
That would be awesome, yeah if the results are better and it fits in the S4 I'd buy it. does the C7 come with that xt140 slim fan or is it a different one?

OKAY So... according to this page on PCPartPicker these are builds completed with the ASUS Z270i STRIX using the Cryorig C7! just type "cryorig" into the search bar on that page and it should filter out and most of the builds left show the C7, some show the smaller C1. :D https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/mpM323 It SEEMs like it fits on my motherboard! And with the fins parallel to the RAM too! :D So now I have to figure out if it'll fit inside the S4 mini without problems, the guy on reddit says its fine... so now I'm really just looking for temp numbers to compare and see if it's worth a shot! :D

@Josh | NFC what was the reason why your were against the C7 in your chassis, I think I remember reading something about the standoff or the backplate being the issue? Or was it just WAY louder than the NHLI9's fan with only a degree or two of difference? Have you tried it on your Z270i STRIX? :)

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
IIRC the tolerances on Cryorig wasn't up to Josh's or Noctua's standards for him to recommend using it over NH-L9i.
Hmmmm... well here's the kicker, I'm seeing reviews comparing the C7 vs NHL9i and the C7 is apparently a LITTLE BIT better but WAYYYY louder at load... if it's truly louder at load then I'll forget about it all together and just hold out for my LP53 to arrive, only if a C7 can cool better than the NHL9i using the stock NHL9i's fan (and it fits in the S4 with both side panels on) would I consider it now as an NHL9i replacement, DANG IT. :(

Good news though, my LP53 is in the US since monday and it's on it's way to me a few cities away right now, I should recieve it before the end of the week and I'll post my temp results vs my NHL9i once I get it. :) Regardless of if it beats the NHL9i or not, I'm delidding my 7700k once I determine the winner.

Reactions: paullusty

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I have a C7 and I put in into my Strix Z270i with 44mm tall G.Skill RAM and the plastic fan mounting was actually running into stuff. The L9i on the other hand just dropped in with a clear gap on all sides. I think this is probably what Josh was talking about. I was thinking of doing a three way comparison between the C7, LP53 and L9i at some point.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
The c7's stock fan is very loud, I can confirm.
It normally comes with a 92mm that clips onto the heatsink, the xt140 is something you'd have to buy extra.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I have a C7 and I put in into my Strix Z270i with 44mm tall G.Skill RAM and the plastic fan mounting was actually running into stuff. The L9i on the other hand just dropped in with a clear gap on all sides. I think this is probably what Josh was talking about. I was thinking of doing a three way comparison between the C7, LP53 and L9i at some point.
@Kmpk I'd really appreciate a 3 way comparison between those 3 coolers indeed. I'd recommend Prime95 26.6, and ASUS ROG Realbench for reliable temp testing. :)
The c7's stock fan is very loud, I can confirm.
It normally comes with a 92mm that clips onto the heatsink, the xt140 is something you'd have to buy extra.
Dang, yeah I can't live with such a loud fan. i wonder if even having the xt140 is quieter than the stock fan on the C7...

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
The XT140 is probably quieter, but I can't directly test that.
I can test the C7 + a USV14 though. Which I'm about to do after I basline my L9i.
Here's my test setup: