ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Last edited:

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
Attenuator took a bit to get to me, just got it a few days ago. Next steps are wiring it in to the Fulla in place of the pot and making sure that works (will probably do that this weekend), then figuring out how and where I'm going to drill the bezel. Will want to source a knob and jack prior to that for figuring out positioning.

In unrelated news, couple of the screw holes on the side sheet I fucked somehow and they aren't holding screws... hitting them from inside (where the metal around the hole is pushed in) with a hammer seems like a reasonable way to tighten that back up, right? :D

Reactions: ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Attenuator took a bit to get to me, just got it a few days ago. Next steps are wiring it in to the Fulla in place of the pot and making sure that works (will probably do that this weekend), then figuring out how and where I'm going to drill the bezel. Will want to source a knob and jack prior to that for figuring out positioning.

In unrelated news, couple of the screw holes on the side sheet I fucked somehow and they aren't holding screws... hitting them from inside (where the metal around the hole is pushed in) with a hammer seems like a reasonable way to tighten that back up, right? :D
What?! No pics! :-p

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
What?! No pics! :-p

I mean, their ebay pics are better... :D but sure have a pic.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Keep forgetting to ask you about dust build-up in your S4 case... really leaning towards the open honeycombed Korkin Case as my next step in going smaller but a tad worried about dust build-up. You vacuum once a week or something? That is what I am planning to do if I go with an open case design.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
Keep forgetting to ask you about dust build-up in your S4 case... really leaning towards the open honeycombed Korkin Case as my next step in going smaller but a tad worried about dust build-up. You vacuum once a week or something? That is what I am planning to do if I go with an open case design.

Honestly, no noticeable dust buildup so far. I mean, not in a terribly dusty location but maybe having push fan + very open sides helps with that? I'll blow it out if/when needed.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
That's right I forgot you were doing a push on your set-up so it could be blowing out the case pretty well... just wonder how dusty your cooler's radiator is getting though?

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
That's right I forgot you were doing a push on your set-up so it could be blowing out the case pretty well... just wonder how dusty your cooler's radiator is getting though?

The heatsink? I just took a look, and no visible dust accumulation in the ~ month and a half I've been running it. If I just have to blow it out every six months or so I'll be happy, but we'll see how it goes.

In audio-related news, got a nice jack which is pretty similar black to the bezel, so will wire that up this weekend too (just gonna wire it to a plug to plug into existing jack) when I do the attenuator and look at mounting. I'm actually thinking mounting-wise I'll use the bottom bit of the schiit case and mount that to the side of the S4 - that way the bottom of the case is between Fulla board & video card, so should provide some extra shielding.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
The heatsink? I just took a look, and no visible dust accumulation in the ~ month and a half I've been running it. If I just have to blow it out every six months or so I'll be happy, but we'll see how it goes.

In audio-related news, got a nice jack which is pretty similar black to the bezel, so will wire that up this weekend too (just gonna wire it to a plug to plug into existing jack) when I do the attenuator and look at mounting. I'm actually thinking mounting-wise I'll use the bottom bit of the schiit case and mount that to the side of the S4 - that way the bottom of the case is between Fulla board & video card, so should provide some extra shielding.

Sorry meant to say heatsink. Excellent about the lack of dust build up. Great idea about using part of the Fulla 2 casing. I am seriously thinking of doing this mod myself after I learn from your project. Will only use the Fulla 2's amp only option between my sound card and headphones.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
Will only use the Fulla 2's amp only option between my sound card and headphones.

Huh, think you'd prefer sound card dac to Fulla? I mean, realistically, I think it's easier to do it the way I am with using Fulla dac+amp, as you only have to run one USB cable vs that + an audio cable. To be quite honest with modern dacs (older ones were another story), I absolutely can't tell the difference between one DAC and the next myself, though I'm sure some people can beyond just confirmation bias levels. Conveniently for me what I can hear improvement-wise is pretty easily satisified for (relatively) not much money - $450 cans are my most expensive pair and with a $100 dac/amp I'm totally set, seems like.

I am seriously thinking of doing this mod myself after I learn from your project.

Yeah, my only real concern remaining is drilling the bezel. I'm dubious about hand drilling it, I need to make friends with somebody with a drill press. :D

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If the tolerances work out, I'm actually hoping I can burrow 3-4mm into the 5mm bezel and keep the whole thing intact.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Huh, think you'd prefer sound card dac to Fulla? I mean, realistically, I think it's easier to do it the way I am with using Fulla dac+amp, as you only have to run one USB cable vs that + an audio cable. To be quite honest with modern dacs (older ones were another story), I absolutely can't tell the difference between one DAC and the next myself, though I'm sure some people can beyond just confirmation bias levels. Conveniently for me what I can hear improvement-wise is pretty easily satisified for (relatively) not much money - $450 cans are my most expensive pair and with a $100 dac/amp I'm totally set, seems like.
I actually really like the sound of my Xonar DX sound card (the DAC is a very good one; the same one used in the Essence STX series); drivers work well with Windows 10; and I like the control Audio Center... so I just need some amp power to drive my high impedance cans as the DX is very limited in this department (good to about 70 ohms though anything over 30 ohms would sound better amped most likely). Already have the audio interconnect figured out (just a very short loop) and of course the usb power line.

Though with this said I have been very surprised and certainly pleased with my newest cans: B&O H6 (30 ohms)... I have been using them now a lot as they are so damn comfortable and very balanced and neutral with amazing clarity. Surprising as they are nearly 1/3 the price of my other headphones (Audeze LCD-2 and Shure SE535LTD). I haven't amped them yet to see if I notice a difference though I have read that they are better amped... will see.

So there is a very strong chance that I may end up not doing this Fulla 2 mod at all... I may even give my Audeze cans to a friend of mine who is already borrowing my Shure 535s as he doesn't have audiophile grade headphones but is a crazy music lover. Believe me the H6s are that comfortable and great sounding!

Last edited:

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
How was the jack install; work out the way you wanted?

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
How was the jack install; work out the way you wanted?

Yeah, works fine. Gonna sleeve it up nicely-ish when I install in bezel, but that's waiting until I get the knob so I can figure out exactly where I want to put everything.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Original poster
Jun 19, 2016
Update: I forgot how much I hate and/or am bad at desoldering. Siiiigh. Should be simpler but noooo. Maybe I just need to get a hot air gun, anybody have any recs?