High-end S4 mini build - need advice

PsilocybinCube

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Aug 27, 2019
Hey everyone-
I'm brand new to this forum. After building a Fractal Design Node 202 about 6 months ago, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the overall size or appearance of the build.
Now, I have a new S4 mini chassis, a walnut faceplate, NFC S4 mini feet, custom skycables, HD Plex PSU, and the NFC powerbutton (the power button with the shorter 170mm cables).
So, at this point, everything is an blank slate outside of those NFC products I've ordered.

At this point, I'm curious to get the forum's advice on which parts to get assuming a budget of $2,000 for the parts that still need to be ordered. I still need the following:

Mobo - will need to work with the shorter power button cables
Processor - doubtful I'll overclock
Ram
Storage
Case fans - not a big RGB guy...
CPU cooler - quiet is great
Power brick - I'm thinking about the dell 330w solution but open to alternatives
(I'm sure I'm missing something...)

I'm planning to use a 1080 from an Aorus gaming box (EGPU that I no longer use) for the GPU.

I plan to use the PC for music production and gaming. I'll be connecting the PC to a 3440x1440p monitor - which I know is overkill - but I'm willing to compromise on a graphics a bit to allow the GTX 1080 to keep pace.

Personally, I've always had an affinity for Intel processors, Noctua coolers, and Samsung's memory solutions. However, I'm open to any recommendations.

I will be pairing this with a high end pair of headphones and DAC/headphone amp. If anyone has a good idea for a good DAC and amp that will look good with the s4 case, that would be interesting.

Ultimately, with the walnut faceplate, those pretty feet from NFC, and the S4 mini's appearance, I'm shooting to have a very mid-century modern looking PC that will jive well with my home office's decor. And if my wife likes the way it looks than that's a real win.

Thanks for all the help!