DAN A4-SFX #1432 - Silver

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
So .. I originally backed the DAN A4-SFX before ordering my NFC S4 mini ... one thing led to another and I've recased most of my previous build (see signature) into my Kickstarter DAN A4 in Silver.

Overall thoughts: Found that building in the DAN was a lot harder than I thought it would be, having done an S4 mini build and having to work with a lot of tight space. Main challenge was the 24-pin ATX cable with the size of an SFX-L PSU and the fact that the motherboard backside presses against the PCI-e riser.

Specs!
  • Case: DAN A4-SFX Silver
  • PSU: Silverstone SX500-LG V2.0 (no semi-fanless operation)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700T + Noctua NH-L9i
  • RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR4-2133
  • MOBO: Gigabyte H170N-WiFi
  • SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
  • GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti FE

Battlestation
  • Monitor: Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 G-Sync 165Hz
  • Keyboard: Topre Realforce RGB
  • Mouse: Mionix NAOS 7000
  • USB DAC Dongle: HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC ES9023 found here

PSU and CPU/MOBO side view with tidied cables

GPU side showing heaps of space for FE-sized card

Completed Build Exterior

Any questions, feel free to ask!

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Getting that SFX-L in there must have taken some cable-fu. It was tough enough for me with a "normal" SFX (although the Corsair units reportedly have stiffer wires than SilverStone). Did you remove the drive cage?

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Getting that SFX-L in there must have taken some cable-fu. It was tough enough for me with a "normal" SFX (although the Corsair units reportedly have stiffer wires than SilverStone). Did you remove the drive cage?

Yeah, I removed the drive cage. The other annoying thing was the placement of my USB 3.0 connector on the H170N; sticks out like a sore thumb.

I've seen a thread on Hardforum where a user got a custom short cable for the 24-pin which is quite nice as opposed to tucking it under the PSU and spilling into the GPU chamber.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Ya, I saw that USB3 header placement in your photo.

I notice with mine that to engage the power switch, I have to apply enough force that the case will move unless I'm also press the case down slightly. (I'm thinking I might ask Dan about upgrading the feet to the new rubber style he has planned for V2, maybe.)

Germanese

Average Stuffer
Apr 5, 2017
did you ever find that USB cable you were talking about ?
I am trying to get my hands on one for another build.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I don't know if you're talking to me, @Germanese, but I've searched using Google to find alternate hardware for connecting the USB3 for the front panel, without any satisfactory results.
I thought about something like this and then connecting with something like this, but it has the drawback that you can only populate one of the 2 Type A connectors, as they are both oriented the same way on the internal connector adapter.
I've also found "header" extensions here with 90-degree ends. If somebody could come up with a love child of the extension and the first linked adapter, it might be close to perfect, but would also depend on the USB3 header on the motherboard being in the good spot relative to the CPU heatsink and other unpopulated headers.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I notice with mine that to engage the power switch, I have to apply enough force that the case will move unless I'm also press the case down slightly. (I'm thinking I might ask Dan about upgrading the feet to the new rubber style he has planned for V2, maybe.)

Same here -- when I first got the case I thought the button felt a bit wobbly, I much prefer the LED vandal switch on my S4 mini. The plastic bumps used for the case just allow the case to slip around on my desk.