Newbie looking for some advice in joining the SFF Community

JimmyMcShmitty

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 11, 2018
Hello SFF Forum, and all ye who inhabit it. I've been watching you from the shadows of non-membership for some time now, having heard from you not only from the likes of @TekEverything, but also your wonderful subreddit, r/sffpc. You guys got some quality people among your ranks.

I'm currently enjoying a very nice build with a Ryzen 1600 clocked at a comfy 3.85 gHz and an EVGA superclocked GTX 1070 with a monitor at 1440p, and I really enjoy the power and functionality of the whole machine, as well as the sleek design of my NZXT case. I just have one little problem.

The case is 40 liters in volume.

Now before you guys break out your pitchforks and torches, in my defense, it was my first build I finished about a year ago, and someone told me that I should stick to the ATX form factor. I simply didn't know better.

That is, until a particular post by a member by the name of @ZMan caught my eye. To paraphrase his perspective, he felt that putting about 3 liters of hardware inside a case ten times the volume was, for lack of a better word, silly. He proposed his "Gallon" 3D printed case, and my eyes were forever opened.

Since then, I've scoured the weirdly sparse and abundant landscape that is mini-ITX cases, searching for one that matched exactly what I've been looking for.

I've seen cases that look like they wandered into the 90's and got lost. I've seen gorgeous hunks of aluminum with price tags that make my graphics card blush. I've also witnessed my fair share of those in between, who seem to have managed the worst of both worlds.

My search has not ended.

My hunger persists.

I call upon your numbers, o people who know more than me. I request your aid in this subject that you must know more about than I do. Help me, and I shall be eternally grateful.

These are the specifications that I'm looking for:

Size: Ideally, small enough to fit inside my backpack. I'm currently a student, and I travel from my University to home fairly often, a trek that is over 700 miles. I'd like to take my glorious PC with me on my journey.

Material: I want it to be durable, but it doesn't need to be hyper-quality super-matte-brushed aircraft-grade titanium. I'm skeptical of all plastic cases, but I'm open to someone changing my mind.

Appearance: Jeez guys, I don't care about how many rainbows the case can vomit while I'm using the computer inside it, the point of the computer is that I'm looking at the images it produces on screen, not off. If it's simple, not attention grabbing, or looks like a office workstation, I'm down. If it has more self advertisement than an unemployed business major, no thanks.

Cost: I really don't want to spend more than $150 on a painted hunk of metal and/or plastic that doesn't do anything but hold things in place. *cries out to the sky* Dear God, is that too much to ask?!

CPU: I'd like to be able to fit a Ryzen 2600X inside, with enough cooling that it doesn't sound like a wind turbine. Because of this, I've looked to watercooling to keep the temperatures and noise low. Space enough for a 120mm (or maybe even a 90mm?) radiator should be enough. That being said, it has a TDP of 95W, so a good aircooler could be enough

GPU: Enough space for a 20-series Nvidia GPU. From what I've gathered, they run hotter than Emma Watson on coals, so I'm not sure how short they'll manage to make em. For now, the founder's edition length of 267mm should be a good maximum. If that's out of the question, I don't have any interest in going above 1440p @144Hz.

Side note: if there's some case out there that's got just enough space for a 240mm cooler for both CPU & GPU, and doesn't cost $500 (looking at you, Circle Pro), I'm also open to that idea.

PSU: ATX, SFX, or Flex-ATX. I feel like a pico/nanoPSU + a power brick at this level of power are either more expensive than they're worth, or not enough power. Again, open to someone changing my mind.

Drives: Man can survive on M.2 slots alone, but support for a 2.5" drive could be nice.

Those are my wishes, o genies of the internet. Aid me, denizens of the infinite knowledge, and I will be sure to return the favor. If you've read this far, I hope I've at least entertained you fellas a bit.

Thank you for your help, my friends. May your volume be low and your power be high.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Fractal Node 202. It's kinda big, but it gets the job done. And it's well built plus stylish.

If that isn't an option, look at the Silverstone Raven series cases as an alternative.

Finally, you might wanna look at the SG13 if you want a box instead of a ...erm.. flat box I guess??

Enjoyed the essay ;)

JimmyMcShmitty

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 11, 2018
Fractal Node 202. It's kinda big, but it gets the job done. And it's well built plus stylish.

If that isn't an option, look at the Silverstone Raven series cases as an alternative.

Finally, you might wanna look at the SG13 if you want a box instead of a ...erm.. flat box I guess??

Enjoyed the essay ;)

I've looked at it, and the whole plastic look kinda turns me off. Plus it's big, and I've heard its really loud with it's really limited CPU cooler space. The Raven series almost looks worse, and kinda bigger.

Of all the cases I've looked at, the Silverstone Sugo 13, in my opinion, has beaten the rest of the competition by a landslide, which is impressive from a case that's about half a decade old and looks like an old VCR player. I've kinda made this thread to see if there's something better out there than it.

That being said, thank you so much for your help, I appreciate you taking the time. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Milo Series ML08B-H
Maybe that might work???

Also, perhaps the Node 304???
I don't know of any better alternatives.

Then, get someone here to weld a handle to whatever case you're going to buy ;)

ZMan

Average Stuffer
Oct 12, 2017
You mentioned you want to travel with that PC. That makes weight and volume important. To minimize those two I would recommend:
1. Go for 65W TDP CPU. CPU cooling will be shorter (e.g. nh-l9a) that reduces overal case volume/weight.
2. Go for nVidia 10 series. Currently 20 series are not available in mini form. A mini GPU will reduce volume/weight.
3. Forget AIOs. THey just add volume and weight.
4. Go for plastic. It's lighter.

With that said, if you need Founders Edition sized GPU card, go for something with Dan A4 topology.

For a mini GPU and 65W TDP CPU you have more options:
Go for NFC S4 mini if you thing that the case will have physical abuse like being dropped or kicked. I have seen people doing Impresive things with it.
Another mini metal case is Custom MOD mini.
:) Of course if you need a PC case that is as small AND light AND cheap as posible, then go for my Gallon PC case. Just print it out of sturdy material e.g. Polycarbonate. And cushion it with clothes when packing. :)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Welcome to our humble abode, o ye bringer of eloquent words!

I enjoyed reading that. Perhaps a literary career might suit you better? Don't game and you can ditch that gtx 1070, it's a waste of time anyway (yea I said it bring on the pitchforks)

Anyway budget of 150 is pretty limiting while not impossible. Custom mod's come to mind - the SFX one - can't remember every single one they made (wait was it the slim or the mini.. wait wasn't slim 4L before..)
LZ7 would be perfect for you, but no plastics and travel friendly...

Salvo Studios S401? That thing looks SOLID for travel. Or wait for the S700 if you absolutely need AIO.

Reactions: annasoh323 and el01

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I just want to say that I am ballin' with my S401 (thread here... spend a bit too much time there). Availability is between runs currently, but should be back in stock soon enough. The $165 base price just edges out your $150 budget but $15 is either one nice lunch or two or three cheap ones (or between 3 and 7 coffees depending on how fancy you get with your local barista). The handle will run about another $20 I think but it's TOUGH. @Choidebu is right: this thing is a tank. Like, if I'm carrying it via the handle around at night (don't ask why I'm doing this) and someone comes at me with an appropriately dangerous sharp weapon, I would feel confident using the case as both shield and sword. I also feel much better about using this case with a backpack size-wise compared to the Silverstone RVZ02 that my computer previously resided in (think of it like a reverse hermit crab: the shell got smaller). I'm working on my build log at present but lots of other folks in the latter pages of the thread have posted pics and build impressions.

JimmyMcShmitty

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Oct 11, 2018
Sorry everyone for the delay, my studies have been keeping me busier than an intel duo-core running Cinebench. I apologize for my latency, but I’ll try to RAM in as many responses as I can.

Wow, if reading that hurt you, don’t worry, it hurt me too.

Before I get to responding, I apologize if I’m seeming too dismissive or picky. Yes, I am fully aware that I’m trying to have my cake and overclock it too, and there isn’t likely a “perfect case”. However, I feel that my research can’t possibly be adequate, seeing as I am but a wee little man, finite in my knowledge, and I wanted to discuss this with others who obviously know far more than I do.

@el01 ,

As much as I love the compatibility of the Node 304, 20 liters is a bit too much for my taste. I really want to be able to fit this into a backpack, and my backpack isn’t small, but it certainly isn’t ginormous.

That being said, handles are cool.

@ZMan ,

Hey, it’s the Zman in the “flesh”(as flesh as an online forum can be, I suppose)! Thank you for joining. I really like your work. Let’s run down the list:

1. See, weight doesn’t matter to me really. I’m a big boy, I can ca-wee my own compooter! If anything, I’d like it to be heavier than lighter, ensuring a more solidly built case.

2. Right now I’m overclocking a 65W CPU, and I’m kind of looking for something faster. I’d like the ability to use a faster processor in this upcoming build without sacrificing TOO much noise/extra space.

3. Zotac (THANK GOD) has recently announced their mini series for the 20 series, of which the 2070 looks particularly attractive. With a length of 211mm, it’s certainly not tiny, but it’s trying its best, and we should support it as its going through this tough time in its silicon life.

4. *whining like a child* But I want me an AIOOOOOOO. The temperature and noise differences are impressive, and again, I’d like the ability to expand to a faster processor in the future while sticking with the case. HOWEVER, I want to make it clear I don't necessarily need watercooling.

5. Wowzers, this Custom Mod fella impresses me to bits. @serguiiua you have some amazing products, and I would love to talk sometime about what you have in stock. Zman, thank you for sending me his way.

@Choidebu ,

Sup dude.

Thanks for your complement, I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’m currently pursuing education in a bit of a different path, but I’m very flattered.

Oh boyo, I agree, games, especially with my situation of being a college student, can absolutely put a dent into my time schedule. However, they’re also really fun, and in the event of me wanting to play, I’m willing to spend the cash, space, and weight, to have that opportunity. But dang it, you’re right, and I frankly have no solid argument against ya. *hands in the air* You got me!

The L27 impresses me to bits, I suppose the only issue I have with it is I’m limited to such a specific hardware, I can’t justify a price tag of $170.40 (that’s with feet on the bottom and dust filters on the side. *looks up to the sky again* GOD, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?) I don’t want to buy a case that cost so much and build a pc in which the first thing to replace will be the case for a faster GPU/hotter CPU. However, that has been a case I’ve been strongly considering, thanks for sending it my way.

And finally @Choidebu and @annasoh323 ,

The S401 impresses me, absolutely. That’s a mean little case there, and I’m amazed at not only the build quality but the SIZE. And @annasoh323 you are right, that thing should be a registered weapon. I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone bringing that on a plane. However, I don’t think I can pack it, and cpu can’t breathe. For some, that’s no problem, but I like just a bit of head room, as long as that head room results in either better performance or better sound levels. Also, the ventilation makes dust management a challenge, and if I'm not mistaken, there's no front headphone jack on the case. That being said, it's still one gorgeous and impressive case.

All in all, thank you everyone who’s helped, you all had excellent ideas. If anyone else has an idea to present, please, I am open to suggestions.