Newbie (mostly) looking for some help.

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
First, Thank you all for even having this forum! It looks kind of like a promised land for the space obsessive like me..

Well, us I suppose.

Here is my challenge: I I travel a lot, and I want a "real computer" to travel with as well as something that has enough power to do VR well. (I am more interested in Business telepresense, and emerging AR devices, so I wont be hardcore gaming, but do want good frame rates so I don't get motion sickness.

Iv'e done the research on components eight ways from Sunday, and know what I want, but I suck at "building stuff" and optimizing a system.

Is there someone out there to potentially 3d print or fabricate a case, assemble and optimize for a fair price?

I could send the parts (or buy them from you if the prices have parity with the mail order outlets) and just have the system shipped if you are game for the gig.

Here are the proposed specs:

Z270 board PCIE m.2 drive (no internal drive other than that), and gtx 1070 (or amd equivalent I don't know them too well)

And here is the weird part: 4 liters or less and "camouflaged" as something else. I am thinking a cheap computer speaker. The reason for this is I am an American living in southeast asia and whenever I travel, customs here wants to charge a ridiculous duty if they think a computer is valuable.

[Moderator Note: Please note that discussing breaking or circumventing law is against our forum policy. Please see post #8 in this thread.]

Anyone seen a system like this, or have any interest in helping me get one built?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Josh | NFC might be able to help you out, he does complete builds with around 4 liter cases. But the disguising part is a "gray area" thing, circumventing the laws and practices of a country's customs (willingly) is questionable. Even if we the community isn't liable, you would still be. We can't and shouldn't be able to help you circumvent a country's rules.

Todayican2

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Phuncz, I completely agree. I'm congratulating myself right now for sounding like an idiot on my very first post here. :-/ It is entirely legal to travel into this country with your personal machine., cellphone etc. My concern is with the customs officials that make a living on the other side of the law (Do a google search on the term "Bullet scam" and you'll see exactly what I mean.) Actually, the "camouflage" is fairly low on the wishlist, a "nice to have" small and easy to travel with are the real must haves.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Phuncz, I completely agree. I'm congratulating myself right now for sounding like an idiot on my very first post here. :-/ It is entirely legal to travel into this country with your personal machine., cellphone etc. My concern is with the customs officials that make a living on the other side of the law (Do a google search on the term "Bullet scam" and you'll see exactly what I mean.) Actually, the "camouflage" is fairly low on the wishlist, a "nice to have" small and easy to travel with are the real must haves.

You don't look dumb - you shouldn't be paying customs on something you own and are taking with you both into and out of a country on a business trip. Think Phuncz went a little high and to the right on that one.. Besides the listed reason, you could want to disguise the value of your item because you are worried about it being stolen. There are many people who chose to make a computer inside of game systems, spear control units, etc. Just for fun and for the challenge. I don't know of anyone who currently offers the building service you're looking for within a custom enclosure - I do know there are a bunch of projects looking to make portable builds (I did one here, others are here and here ) but they are very technical looking and not at all stealth.

As for stealth, that is a little tricky when you're trying to build a computer capable of VR, IMO. Easily possible, but a little more complicated than your average build. Also, is it feasible? I've traveled extensively, but usually it is all government arranged and I am not worried about customs -- are your belongings going to be x-rayed? How cursory is the inspection going to be? A better idea might be using a very shitty looking computer case (think beige mini-tower) or something that is scratched and dented up (think intentionally distressed jeans). Or a wood case. But there are definitely options available.

@Josh | NFC might be able to help you out, he does complete builds with around 4 liter cases. But the disguising part is a "gray area" thing, circumventing the laws and practices of a country's customs (willingly) is questionable. Even if we the community isn't liable, you would still be. We can't and shouldn't be able to help you circumvent a country's rules.

I would actually recommend against @Josh | NFC's case in this instance, as one look at it screams quality, craftmanship and price premium. Looking at his case conjures up an image of bourgeois computer capitalism (usually in a good way :V) and is sure to have him heavily shaken down for fraudulent 'customs fees'. As to the rest of your post.. do we support the individual or the country? China's censorship, or the human rights violations of various other countries that might be the law of the land there but is outrageous in the rest of the free world? I'm a big proponent of government authority but I think you are wrong here.

Why not just the elite 110? It looks like a speaker and it is somewhat compact.

These computers are great, but I don't think it can support VR at all without heavy modding that wouldn't fit in the original enclosure.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
If something looks like a cheap speaker I feel that would draw more attention to it. Maybe if it's small enough you could claim it's an external hard drive or something. Never been outside of China so not sure how absurd customs can be there but I hear lots of interesting stories.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
not entirely sure how applicable it would be but if @Aibohphobia still has his mSTX build that looks alike an ATX psu (its not component complete iirc though) up for sale it *might* fit your needs

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I'd like to chime in real quick to remind everyone that intentionally dodging owed duties is an illegal act, and that SFF Forum policy prohibits discussion of law-breaking activities.

I actually have a lot of familiarity here because I worked for NZ customs for some time, and as such I have witnessed firsthand how bad the consequences of being caught dodging taxes at an international border can be. This ranges from seizure of your belongings to detainment and even deportation and imprisonment in extreme cases. As an example, NZ customs provides the following guidance with respect to customs:
There are heavy penalties for concealing dutiable goods from Customs and for making false declarations.

When purchasing expensive items overseas, such as jewellery and electronic equipment, you may be offered a false receipt showing a lower purchase price. This is intended as a way to reduce Customs charges. Do not succumb to these temptations.

Concealment of dutiable goods and the presentation of false documentation are serious offences which may result in the seizure of the articles and substantial penalties. You may also be criminally prosecuted.

Governments across the world take duties very seriously and we don't want SFF Forum to ever enable someone to fall on the wrong side of the law, and face punishment as a result.

To be clear, discussion of camouflaged builds is ok. I'll add a note to the OP but otherwise leave it intact as well. Just please keep in mind these concerns, as well as our rules and terms of service, with respect to this specific topic. Thanks!"

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
What I perceive as being discussed is the intent of hiding a system to avoid valid (or invalid) charges at the border.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I perceived him as discussing purchasing all of the components, assembling a computer (paying all lawful taxes, duties, etc) and then being shaken down as he travels throughout Asia because corruption is customary in many places. His posts after the initial one reflect this sentiment and I don't think there is anything wrong with looking for ways not to be extorted by corrupt officials in any state.

"It is entirely legal to travel into this country with your personal machine., cellphone etc. My concern is with the customs officials that make a living on the other side of the law"

I feel like I am watching the UN and Hans Blix prepare to sanction Iran vs helping someone build an inoculous PC.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
build an inoculous PC.

Mind you, there are export restrictions on Intel and AMD processors, so calling a PC "innocuous" is hardly the case. Check out Dual Use technology limitations.

Also, be mindful that there are plenty of tax-evasion tactics out there. Governments tend not to like it when you skirt their source of income.

Last edited:

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Yeah, body armor and weapons are the obvious ones. Many people, even those that know about ITAR to begin with, don't realize that things like processors and even SUVs may be considered Dual Use technologies and subjected to export restrictions.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You're fine, @Ceros_X - I think we just have a classic case of different folks interpreting things in different ways. Our concern is that some folks will read some of the content in the OP as an endorsement of skirting customs laws, so we wanted to (softly) let readers know that such topics aren't allowed in order to protect everyone - SFF Forum and community members alike.

Reactions: Ceros_X

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
On the subject of 'Q-cases', building a high-end rig inside a mundane OEM case is an option. There are some SFF pre-built machines that can be cannibalised, for example the venerable HP Pavillion Slimline series. They take FlexATX PSUs, and by default support half-heigh cards (up to a 1050ti with currently available GPUs), though you could mod the backplate to support a full-height GPU using a flex riser. There's also the option of just taking a small but generic case, painting it beige, and slapping an old Gateway (or similar) badge on it.

InCase

Efficiency Noob
Feb 11, 2017
I guess I want to look dumb since I have stupid questions. :)

So, sorry to interfere/interrupt with them. Couldn't he just bring a photo copy of all the receipts displaying the 'value' of his build/computer? I thought the problem would be declaring the computer's value? The receipt might help avoid a 'shake down' and over valuation which he might be worried about? I dunno... if I am completely off base and not understanding the process, I apologize. Glad I don't have to worry about this and just want to build/plan a compact, portable system just cuz - I want to. :)