New revision of Ncase M1, when?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Seems like the details of what'll be implemented are starting to solidify. Any word on the grey colour and full tg panel (tinted?)?
I'm going to evaluate one more shade of anodized grey with the next prototype and then decide. I don't have any update on the window.

Also, the bit about the 120mm bottom fan mounts being on a longer "track"... I take that to mean the are adjustable in position? Or are the spaced apart with a gap in the between the two fans?
Yeah, the change to long slots means the fans will have a larger range of adjustability.

Looking at the noctua site 140mm fans gain a fair bit in airflow but lose some in static pressure vs 120mm fans. In a setup where the GPU shroud and fans are removed would bottom 140s be noticeably better than 120s for GPU cooling? ...Provided the airflow is forced through the GPU heatsink with some kind of shroud/gasket and a Homebrew work around for the panel mounting clips implemented to let the 140s fit.
I would lean toward pressure-optimized fans for performance since it's both pulling through some restriction (the limited space under the case + filter) and also pushing through the GPU heatsink fins. Only testing will tell for sure, though.

Reactions: ncook06

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
I'm going to evaluate one more shade of anodized grey with the next prototype and then decide. I don't have any update on the window.

Yeah, the change to long slots means the fans will have a larger range of adjustability.

I would lean toward pressure-optimized fans for performance since it's both pulling through some restriction (the limited space under the case + filter) and also pushing through the GPU heatsink fins. Only testing will tell for sure, though.

Great, thanks for the reply.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Sorry to bring this up again, this thread may not be the right place for it, but I'm not sure where else to ask -- do we know yet if we'll get another run of V5 window panels? @Necere, do you know or could you ask W360? I hope he's planning on at least one more run. I'm upgrading my V5 build and the parts selection will depend on whether I will be able to get a window panel. I think there is demand from V5 owners still.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Oct 18, 2018
Sorry to bring this up again, this thread may not be the right place for it, but I'm not sure where else to ask -- do we know yet if we'll get another run of V5 window panels? @Necere, do you know or could you ask W360? I hope he's planning on at least one more run. I'm upgrading my V5 build and the parts selection will depend on whether I will be able to get a window panel. I think there is demand from V5 owners still.
W360 aka Dan, has confirmed several times where will be no more V5 parts made. And the new V6 sidepanel will not be backwards compatible.

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
W360 aka Dan, has confirmed several times where will be no more V5 parts made. And the new V6 sidepanel will not be backwards compatible.
I think it's the other way around... The V6 side panel is backward compatible, but the V5 side panel is not compatible with the V6 (unless you remove a mounting pin) -- See Necre's quote below from his V6 announcement thread.

Exterior panels, front I/O, HDD brackets, and ODD bracket will be backward compatible.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I don't have any news on V5 window panels. Right now we're focused on getting V6 to production.

blindphleb

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2018
Both sides will have expanded ventilation. There's a cutout in the motherboard tray below the motherboard, so the right side actually does provide some exhaust for the GPU as well.

V5 is already sold out and won't be restocked. We don't have plans to offer the V5 panels going forward.
I hope you reconsider halting the V5 panels and accessories, especially since V6 panels won't be backward compatible. Had I known this change was coming I would have purchased a window kit at the very least, and possibly a whole set to have the option of a different color. I understand though if it's not possible to have that much capital held up in spare parts.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I hope you reconsider halting the V5 panels and accessories, especially since V6 panels won't be backward compatible. Had I known this change was coming I would have purchased a window kit at the very least, and possibly a whole set to have the option of a different color. I understand though if it's not possible to have that much capital held up in spare parts.
Let me be absolutely clear so there's no more confusion:
  • V6 aluminum exterior panels will be backward compatible with all previous versions of the M1.
  • A full-glass side panel, when and if that happens, will not be backward compatible with any version before V6, since it requires new mounting holes on the chassis.
  • There may be one more limited run of the older style windowed panels (aluminum w/cutout for glass window) for V5 and earlier users (w360's call if he wants to offer it).

Reactions: Nanook and Maniac

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
Seems like the details of what'll be implemented are starting to solidify. Any word on the grey colour and full tg panel (tinted?)?

Also, the bit about the 120mm bottom fan mounts being on a longer "track"... I take that to mean the are adjustable in position? Or are the spaced apart with a gap in the between the two fans?

Looking at the noctua site 140mm fans gain a fair bit in airflow but lose some in static pressure vs 120mm fans. In a setup where the GPU shroud and fans are removed would bottom 140s be noticeably better than 120s for GPU cooling? ...Provided the airflow is forced through the GPU heatsink with some kind of shroud/gasket and a Homebrew work around for the panel mounting clips implemented to let the 140s fit.
For the deshrouded gpu, are you talking intake or exhaust? 120mm fans are better if you're trying to do bottom intake as you need more static pressure to push through the bare heatsink. For bottom exhaust, it's not as clear cut. My guess is 140mm fans are a lot better for the system as a whole as they extend past most graphics cards and pull air from the interior of the entire case through the gap between the side panel and the graphics card and out the case which improves airflow circulation by a lot, but they are worse for the gpu as the gpu is sitting more towards the center of the dead zone of a 140mm fan and will get less airflow through the finstack, resulting in worse temperatures.

blindphleb

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2018
Let me be absolutely clear so there's no more confusion:
  • V6 aluminum exterior panels will be backward compatible with all previous versions of the M1.
  • A full-glass side panel, when and if that happens, will not be backward compatible with any version before V6, since it requires new mounting holes on the chassis.
  • There may be one more limited run of the older style windowed panels (aluminum w/cutout for glass window) for V5 and earlier users (w360's call if he wants to offer it).
Thanks for clearing up my misunderstandings. I greatly look forward to the release of the V6!

Alessio.B87

Average Stuffer
May 7, 2019
@Necere I noticed that the preorder date shifted from mid June to mid July, will we be able to have more info about the case earlier than that? Like the list of changes made?
Thanks!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere I noticed that the preorder date shifted from mid June to mid July, will we be able to have more info about the case earlier than that? Like the list of changes made?
Thanks!
We'll be ordering another prototype soon, which I should have by the beginning of next month. Once I've done a build in it and checked it over, if there are no more revisions that need to be made, I will okay it for production. At that point I will be able to post a complete list of changes.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Can't wait. Exciting times ahead. Will the v6 be the last Ncase revision?
Every version is the last version... until it isn't. That sounds like stating the obvious, but I don't "hold back" features for later versions or anything like that; every new revision has all the fixes that I could think of and implement up to that point. So V6 is the last version, until and unless there are some new changes that need to be made at some indeterminate time in the future.

Rhialto

Cable Smoosher
Dec 23, 2017
But it seems to me that with the major changes to airflow, it's not totally a V5 continuation. It's hardly possible now to have an air path with the vent holes everywhere. Is the trick now to just blow air on CPU/GPU heatsink? I always thought having an IN and an OUT was the best.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
But it seems to me that with the major changes to airflow, it's not totally a V5 continuation. It's hardly possible now to have an air path with the vent holes everywhere. Is the trick now to just blow air on CPU/GPU heatsink? I always thought having an IN and an OUT was the best.
I wouldn't call it a major change to airflow. Every side except the front has always had ventilation holes, and it's only possible to mount fans on three of the five sides, so having forced airflow for all possible intake and exhaust points was never an option anyway. Nothing about that is changing. What is changing is that now open cooler cards - especially larger ones that compartmentalize the bottom of the case - won't cook in their own hot exhaust. I had always intended from the beginning for the case to be all (or mostly) intake fans on the side and bottom, giving you a positive pressure setup with decent cooling and dust control.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think it becomes necessary to add additional ventilation openings on the side panels because most people are not following recommendation to use blower display card even though the standard/default airflow design of M1 was based on blower card, AFAIK. Even more important is, both Nvidia and AMD are releasing their reference design in favour of axial fan cooling. Just look at the RTX cards. All FE cards do not use blower fan design anymore. I suspect the trend is to ditch centrifugal fan cooling and axial fan cooling will become the new reference design. At the moment, I think axial fan cards outnumber blower card by, at least, 10 to 1. So, it is wise for the ventilation of M1 be updated in such a way to cater primarily for axial fan cooling cards.

blindphleb

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2018
On the topic of dust control, I wonder what the side bracket and dust filter will look like with the extended v6 vents.