New revision of Ncase M1, when?

Alessio.B87

Average Stuffer
May 7, 2019
Yeah good point, also shouldn't be a dust filter on the top too? Isn't gravity going to pull most of the dust through the top of the case?

Last edited:

Echoic

Chassis Packer
Jan 30, 2017
One thing we're considering is releasing M1 V6 initially without any front I/O - power button only, with an otherwise blank plate where the ports will be. The reason for this is the lead time on the tooling for the ports, plus it will add to the price of the case. A no-front I/O version will allow the price to stay the same and won't delay V6 any longer than necessary for those who may not need or want the I/O. People who do want it could also order the I/O ports as a separate kit later when they're ready.

What do you guys think?
I actually like this a lot; will V5 owners be able to order and use this new no-front I/O panel? And will V5 owners be able to add the new ventilated panels to their case?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I actually like this a lot; will V5 owners be able to order and use this new no-front I/O panel?
I don't know yet what parts will be available through SFFLab, though it will be backward compatible.

And will V5 owners be able to add the new ventilated panels to their case?
Let me be absolutely clear so there's no more confusion:
  • V6 aluminum exterior panels will be backward compatible with all previous versions of the M1.
  • A full-glass side panel, when and if that happens, will not be backward compatible with any version before V6, since it requires new mounting holes on the chassis.
  • There may be one more limited run of the older style windowed panels (aluminum w/cutout for glass window) for V5 and earlier users (w360's call if he wants to offer it).

Last edited:

Alessio.B87

Average Stuffer
May 7, 2019
@Necere I saw that a popular mod is to change the power button with an anti-vandal switch and I have to admit it looks pretty cool, have you thought about changing it?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere I saw that a popular mod is to change the power button with an anti-vandal switch and I have to admit it looks pretty cool, have you thought about changing it?
Nope. Personally I feel like anti-vandal switches look a bit too "aftermarket" to put on a production case. I prefer a button that looks more integrated, which the current one does.

lllllldk

Case Bender
Jun 23, 2019
May i just double check the first batch of V6 is without front I/O right? If i want the V6 with front I/O would be least 2 mouth later on shipping? Like 2 month after July, around September? Does the V6 front I/O come with USB-C or same as V5's?

madmax

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2019
That's the plan.

1x Type C, 2x Type A, 1x mic/headphone combo jack for V6.
To be honest, I don't understand why you remove a more frequently used feature (every headset on the market has separate audio and mic connectors) for three USB front ports. Who needs three USB front ports at the same time on his PC? Can't it be 1x Type C, 1x Type A and separate mic and headphone jack like before? Sure, there's probably an adapter available, but it feels crazy to use an adapter for something I connect frequently, while having three hardly used USB ports right next to it. I'm sure more people use the audio ports instead of three front USB at the same time.

Why isn't this change more discussed? Or am I missing something?

Reactions: MrFizzyBubbs

Bounou

Caliper Novice
Aug 2, 2018
To be honest, I don't understand why you remove a more frequently used feature (every headset on the market has separate audio and mic connectors) for three USB front ports. Who needs three USB front ports at the same time on his PC? Can't it be 1x Type C, 1x Type A and separate mic and headphone jack like before? Sure, there's probably an adapter available, but it feels crazy to use an adapter for something I connect frequently, while having three hardly used USB ports right next to it. I'm sure more people use the audio ports instead of three front USB at the same time.

I disagree, don’t use the audio inputs at all but use the USB ports all the time.

Reactions: ncook06

Khaledious

Trash Compacter
Apr 28, 2019
Also, note you could get a USB converter for under 10$:

Amazon Link

At this point I am pretty sure @Necere is done with the design phase, v6 is what it is, its a product with positives and negatives, there is no way to design a product that fulfills every need, because some needs clash. At this point, I just want the case to come out, so I can build my PC. I have all my parts sitting on a table at home, and am using a secondary system. So the less delays, modifications that need to be made the better, let the C4 forum be an example, where the design was changed dozens of times based on people's inputs, only to not release anything thus far.

Reactions: ncook06

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015

Personally I use the front Type A ports all the time. I don't have a use for Type C yet, but I guess there's enough people that do. I don't use the audio jacks at all, since I use Bluetooth headphones most of the time and have a desktop mic.

In any case, a simple splitter cable is all you need to connect your headset to the combo jack. It's always a trade off with SFF, but I think this is the best compromise for most people.

Reactions: ncook06 and Bounou

Bounou

Caliper Novice
Aug 2, 2018
Hey @Necere, apologies if you already answered this but would it be possible to add the option to order both new I/O’s when you open up pre-orders? As you ship the one without USB first with the case and the new one whenever it’s ready?

madmax

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2019
Also, note you could get a USB converter for under 10$:

Amazon Link

At this point I am pretty sure @Necere is done with the design phase, v6 is what it is, its a product with positives and negatives, there is no way to design a product that fulfills every need, because some needs clash. At this point, I just want the case to come out, so I can build my PC. I have all my parts sitting on a table at home, and am using a secondary system. So the less delays, modifications that need to be made the better, let the C4 forum be an example, where the design was changed dozens of times based on people's inputs, only to not release anything thus far.
Careful with such things, the adapter replaces your sound card, which means a neat loss in audio quality. Really not to be recommended, unless the headphones costed just as little.

Reactions: Khaledious

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hey @Necere, apologies if you already answered this but would it be possible to add the option to order both new I/O’s when you open up pre-orders? As you ship the one without USB first with the case and the new one whenever it’s ready?
I'll discuss it with w360 as we get closer to production and have a better idea what the timeline looks like.