New revision of Ncase M1, when?

Khaledious

Trash Compacter
Apr 28, 2019
Nope. I got the latest prototype today, and frustratingly it doesn't include all of the updates it's supposed to. I was hoping this would be the one I could give the go ahead on production with, but no such luck. It'll be another week or two before the revisions are made and the next prototype is sent to me, so it'll be at least that long before I have any idea about a production schedule.

Hi @Necere, so it's been about 3 weeks since this post, any updates? I have been waiting for 2 months for information about V6, and originally pre-orders should have gone up 2 weeks ago. I already pre-ordered pslatecustoms cables for the Ncase, and tracked down a used C14, so I am definitely going for the Ncase, but at the same time, I do want to get my build completed, or to the very least, I would like to know when I can get my build completed. Is this going to be much longer? If it is, would you consider just doing another run of v5s?

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hi @Necere, so it's been about 3 weeks since this post, any updates? I have been waiting for 2 months for information about V6, and originally pre-orders should have gone up 2 weeks ago. I already pre-ordered pslatecustoms cables for the Ncase, and tracked down a used C14, so I am definitely going for the Ncase, but at the same time, I do want to get my build completed, or to the very least, I would like to know when I can get my build completed. Is this going to be much longer? If it is, would you consider just doing another run of v5s?
I had some last minute revisions to do on the front I/O, as well as adding a new feature someone suggested. I also had Lian Li send me their production drawings so I could go over them and make sure everything was correct. The way we were doing things (my Sketchup model -> w360's rebuild in Solidworks -> export to .dwg to send to LL) left some details like thread callouts out, which was one of the things causing problems with the prototypes. So I went through and made sure all the thread callouts were in and that they were using the correct versions of the drawings. I submitted all of that to LL towards the end of last week, so they're going over them now and preparing to make the next prototype as we speak. With any luck, I should receive it by next week. Then I will evaluate it to see if there are any other issues, and if not we'll schedule a production date with LL.

gMit

Caliper Novice
Jun 2, 2019
love your work @Necere

Is it usually long between production and final delivery to customer? Trying to understand timelines to have this sweet sweet case

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
love your work @Necere

Is it usually long between production and final delivery to customer? Trying to understand timelines to have this sweet sweet case
Well, usually it works like this:
  1. We order a production run, usually every 3-4 months
  2. Those cases are stored with LL in Taiwan
  3. SFFLab collects orders
  4. Once a week, Taiwan Post picks up the packages and ships them out
  5. Cases usually get to customers inside of 10 days (though customs can take more or less time to get through depending on country, mood of the customs inspector, the weather etc.)
  6. Inevitably one or more SKUs (e.g. silver w/window) goes out of stock before the next production run, in which case that specific SKU will be on backorder until the next run
  7. Rinse and repeat

So most of the time when it's in stock on SFFLab, it's not very long between ordering and receiving. Currently, however, I've been updating the case to V6 - the largest revision to the case yet - and it's taken longer than expected to get the kinks worked out, so in the meantime SFFLab's stock has completely depleted. Once regular production starts back up, we should go back to the same level of availability as usual, with customers getting their orders in a week or two on average.

Last edited:

cellis

What's an ITX?
Jun 28, 2019
I'm just wondering, if V6 is the last revision, will there still be some available in a couple years? I'd like to eventually get an ncase but haven't had a chance yet.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I'm just wondering, if V6 is the last revision, will there still be some available in a couple years? I'd like to eventually get an ncase but haven't had a chance yet.
I don't see why not. We don't have any plans to discontinue the M1 anytime soon, so as long as there's still demand I imagine it will still be available.

Sterio

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 30, 2019
So if we are lucky that the next prototype has no issues will LL start the production immediately?
And what is the lead time?

C3N0B1T3

Average Stuffer
Oct 15, 2018
Hey guys. I've been keeping a close eye on this thread and the "PSA: NCASE M1 V6 availability". I'm really looking forward to this. I swapped out my v1 Ncase M1 fairly recently for a Ghost S1. The Ghost has some cooling issues for my 1080Ti, and I really dont want to use a top hat as they look terrible. I'm hoping to go back to the Ncase M1 but this time in a v6. Just wanted to add that one of the reasons I swapped was because of the front I\O. For me it looks really dated and is not used. The extra space saved by not having to route the cables is also a win. Personally I'd love an M1 with no fron I\O.

I have a question though; In my v1 Ncase there was a large space being the front panel for the optical drive or SSDs ect. Is there any possibility to mount and use a slim 120mm fan(s) here? I know the front panel is closed off, but if it was ventilated (even just down the side) that would improve the airflow. I remember the front was fairly solid, but not sure if that's still the case? Just an idea.

Reactions: ChrisMCP

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So if we are lucky that the next prototype has no issues will LL start the production immediately?
And what is the lead time?
I think the absolute earliest production could be finished is end of July/early August. Depends what LL's schedule looks like though.

I have a question though; In my v1 Ncase there was a large space being the front panel for the optical drive or SSDs ect. Is there any possibility to mount and use a slim 120mm fan(s) here? I know the front panel is closed off, but if it was ventilated (even just down the side) that would improve the airflow. I remember the front was fairly solid, but not sure if that's still the case? Just an idea.
There's only 16.5mm behind the front panel, so even a slim fan would be completely choked unless the front of the panel had ventilation holes. That's not something I have any plans to do. The layout really doesn't lend itself to a front fan on account of where the PSU sits.

Reactions: C3N0B1T3

Frankazoid

Case Bender
Jul 1, 2019
So if I am understanding this correctly, the V6 will ship without the front I/O but I will have the ability to add the front I/O as long as your distributor decides that selling a separate kit for that is worth it?
  • A full-glass side panel, when and if that happens, will not be backward compatible with any version before V6, since it requires new mounting holes on the chassis.
Have you decided if it will happen? I'd really love any sort of window into the case and do not have the means to make one myself

bluestofblue

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2019
First batch will come without the front I/O to not hold up shipping. Second batch and beyond will all come with a front I/O. First batch will have the option to pick up an I/O when availability arises later on around October or so iirc.

Reactions: Frankazoid

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
Really? OK, so I will have to make a decision now :p

I usually use the front IO of my cases, so I am thinking to get the M1 with it. But I am also curious about the look of the case without it: would that make a very clean look? ? I will have to be quick at making a decision...

Last edited:

bluestofblue

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2019
@Necere You said in one of your previous post that you improved airflow in the bottom of V6. Did you improve airflow to target users who place 240mm radiators in the bottom? I remember reading this post you made a year or so ago on another site. Just curious since the update listing isn't out yet for V6.

"A bottom-only rad setup is more for show than performance in the M1. I didn't design the case to support a bottom rad, as is probably obvious from the hoops you had to jump through to get it to fit. Adding a 92mm rad to the back will help temps some, though it's still not likely to compare to a proper side-rad setup. "

My goal is to dual rad the Ncase M1 V6 when it comes out and overclock my gpu. Just curious if you believe(and why if you are willing to speak on it) the design changes will benefit users with the rad on the floor of the case.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere You said in one of your previous post that you improved airflow in the bottom of V6. Did you improve airflow to target users who place 240mm radiators in the bottom? I remember reading this post you made a year or so ago on another site. Just curious since the update listing isn't out yet for V6.

"A bottom-only rad setup is more for show than performance in the M1. I didn't design the case to support a bottom rad, as is probably obvious from the hoops you had to jump through to get it to fit. Adding a 92mm rad to the back will help temps some, though it's still not likely to compare to a proper side-rad setup. "

My goal is to dual rad the Ncase M1 V6 when it comes out and overclock my gpu. Just curious if you believe(and why if you are willing to speak on it) the design changes will benefit users with the rad on the floor of the case.
I don't think the added ventilation will make a big difference to bottom-mounted rads. The problem is simply the lack of vertical space under the GPU, which is only barely enough for a slim rad and slim fans. So not only do you have the inferior performance of slim fans, but the fans are also right up against the GPU waterblock, considerably restricting airflow. There's not any way around this without increasing the dimensions of the case.

Reactions: ncook06

Nitpicky

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 3, 2018
Hi again @Necere.
What is the status on the grey version of the Ncase M1 that someone talked about earlier in this thread?
Is the prototype you are supposed to get this week grey?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hi again @Necere.
What is the status on the grey version of the Ncase M1 that someone talked about earlier in this thread?
Is the prototype you are supposed to get this week grey?
Yes, and in fact the first two prototypes were grey as well (different shades though).

No word from LL yet, so doesn't look like the prototype will be coming this week.

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
Hello,

Sorry if I missed the info, but the USB type C on the front of the case will be 20 pin gen 2 isn't it?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hello,

Sorry if I missed the info, but the USB type C on the front of the case will be 20 pin gen 2 isn't it?
Yeah, the Type C will use the new 20 pin motherboard header (sometimes called Type E). The two Type A ports will continue to use the old 19 pin header.