Discussion New build, no POST

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Not my first rodeo. I have probably built/upgraded a dozen or more PCs in the past 20 years (Biggest change is NVME SSD.)

MITXPC MX500-USB3 Mini-ITX USB 3.0 Case
Mini-Box picoPSU-160-XT Power Supply
Noctua NH-L9a-AM5 Low-Profile CPU Cooler
ASRock B650I LIGHTNING AM5 B650 Mini-ITX
AMD 8700G
Kingston Fury Beast 16GB (2x8GB) 6000MT/s DDR5
SAMSUNG 1TB 990 PRO SSD, 1TB, M.2 NVMe 2280

I validated the PSU voltage (3.3, 5, 12) before I even plugged it into the mobo.

Press the power button, the power light comes on, the CPU cooler fan spins and nothing happens. I tired 2 different monitors.

Removed memory, SSD and cooler. Re-seated the CPU. Still nothing !!

Suggestions on what to try next ?

Which would RMA first ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Indeed, you need to make sure the BIOS is updated stating support for the CPU.
Be aware that the first time the system boots, it takes an increased amount of time to pass the POST (Power On Self Test), testing the RAM (called "training"). This might take up to a minute or two with 16GB.

Reactions: rfarmer

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
Did you check if that board needs a BIOS update for the 8700G?
According to ASRock there is supposed to be a sticker on top of the BIOS Flash, but there is no sticker on any chip on the board, so I don't know what version the BIOS is.

ASRock list no updated for that motherboard.

Left it powered up for over an hour.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
According to ASRock there is supposed to be a sticker on top of the BIOS Flash, but there is no sticker on any chip on the board, so I don't know what version the BIOS is.

ASRock list no updated for that motherboard.

Left it powered up for over an hour.
Your motherboard has the BIOS flash back option, check your manual on how to use it. I would load the most current BIOS available. Looking at Asrock's site there are a couple earlier BIOS that might be on the board.