Log New build - Looking for a case

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
  • ASRock B650I Lightning (hopefully the AMD 8000G series will start shipping in January 2024 !)
  • NO GRAPHICS CARD
  • picoPSU (external DC supply)
  • Noctua Low Profile NH-L9a-AM5 (if the stock fan does not fit)
  • M.2 NVME
  • 1 - 2.5" HDD (WD Green - those things last forever)

I want as small a case as possible. The real issue is I want at least 1 USB-C and 2 USB-A ports on the front !

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
  • ASRock B650I Lightning (hopefully the AMD 8000G series will start shipping in January 2024 !)
  • NO GRAPHICS CARD
  • picoPSU (external DC supply)
  • Noctua Low Profile NH-L9a-AM5 (if the stock fan does not fit)
  • M.2 NVME
  • 1 - 2.5" HDD (WD Green - those things last forever)

I want as small a case as possible. The real issue is I want at least 1 USB-C and 2 UCB-A ports on the front !
if you're somewhat passable with a dremel (and optionally, magnetic tape), you could just repurpose one of the 3.5" front IO extenders that are floating around the computer hardware shops or amazon. Its my plans for the S400, because I already got said front io extender, which currently is sitting outside of the current case, hold in place with two long strips of magnetic tape.

I'm going to cut a third slot for the PCB / USB socket, next remove it from its original casing, and then attach it to the place where the original USB-A + USB-C was located, instantly giving me a) a 3.2 USB-C and 2x 3.1 USB-A.

So, you just have to find yourself a nice APU case, that has a bit space left where the original IO front PCB is located, and then add yours (if you're lucky, you only need one additional cut-out).

cu, w0lf.

mikejmcfarlane

Average Stuffer
Apr 19, 2022
if you're somewhat passable with a dremel (and optionally, magnetic tape), you could just repurpose one of the 3.5" front IO extenders that are floating around the computer hardware shops or amazon. Its my plans for the S400, because I already got said front io extender, which currently is sitting outside of the current case, hold in place with two long strips of magnetic tape.

I'm going to cut a third slot for the PCB / USB socket, next remove it from its original casing, and then attach it to the place where the original USB-A + USB-C was located, instantly giving me a) a 3.2 USB-C and 2x 3.1 USB-A.

So, you just have to find yourself a nice APU case, that has a bit space left where the original IO front PCB is located, and then add yours (if you're lucky, you only need one additional cut-out).

cu, w0lf.
Such a mod would be really easy in the wood fronted Densium 4 case, and I think I saw in one of the threads about this case that there is some spaces between components near the front panel, so maybe an extender could be mounted (?). Densium 4 APU and the slightly larger Plus case, now in stock with Overtek https://www.overtek.co.uk/collectio...m-apu-case-mini-itx-with-hardwood-front-panel

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
I settled on a MX500-USB3 case.

First look, the case is very well made. I am not sure if I have the "guts" to break out the Dremel and attack the front panel. Front panel USB-C is not the highest priority.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch