Choosing right power supply for 160W PSU

badformat

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Hi guys,

I know that I'm not the only one who asked that question. But I still didn't find the right answer.

I want to make a mini-ITX hackintosh build:
  • Intel Core i7-8700 (non k)
  • ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX Schwarz 32GB DDR4 Kit (2x16GB) RAM
  • Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe 250GB
  • Samsung 860 QVO SSD MZ-76Q2T0BW 2TB (additional SSD)
  • Noctua L9i CPU Cooler
  • Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX x2 - case fans, one to let air in, and another to let air out
  • Streacom F1CWS Evo
There will be one 24' monitor and 2 always using USB 2.0 ports, one with audio-interface and the second with midi-keyboard.

To power up all this I chose picoPSU 160W, cause I saw a lot of builds with pretty the same specs powered with this one.

So, I've got 2 questions:

1) Is this PSU enough to power up my system?
2) What power supply do I need to choose? I really don't want to take large brick. Is 12V 150W enough?

Thanks.

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
The 160-XT should be plenty for that build and so will a 150w brick. Problem is that 12V bricks tend to be really big. The 192w AC-DC that mini-box sells is comparable in size to a flex ATX psu, so it's really only handy if you manage to hide it well enough.

There are some smaller 19V bricks though, specifically the 'slim' lineup by Dell is really tiny. You will have to go with an DC-ATX unit that supports 19V then though. HDPlex and @Kmpkt both sell plugin units that support up to 200 watts.

badformat

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
There are some smaller 19V bricks though, specifically the 'slim' lineup by Dell is really tiny. You will have to go with an DC-ATX unit that supports 19V then though. HDPlex and @Kmpkt both sell plugin units that support up to 200 watts.

Hi robbee.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I think DC-ATX solution is not for me, because it's not compatible with my small case. So, I'll try to find something less large. I saw KFD 150w power adapter and it doesn't look like a real brick :)

Am I understand it right? if I'll get power adapter with 150 watt, my PSU won't give me more than 150 watt?

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Should do fine, running a ryzen 2400g system 65w chip m.2 2 sticks of 8gb at 2933mhz on 160w 12v dc, with a 144w brick works great never any issues. You should have plenty of overhead.

badformat

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 27, 2019
Ok, guys, thanks.

I’ll build my mini and will share my results and tests here.

I’ll start to buy components in August.