Motherboard Need some help

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
Hey guys,

Im in the process of building a rig for my girlfriend. Ive been slowly buying parts whenever I can, so far ive managed to grab an r9 nano, a 21:9 29 inch monitor, an e3 1270 v1, a desk, and weve finally decided on what case she wants. (there is no rhyme or reason to why I did things in that order, just when i find good deals i take them, theres no huge hurry on the rig, its one of those things i plan on slowly piecing together as I get the money)

She wants the silverstone ft03 mini itx tower. I was getting ready to click buy on that, however, I decided to look and see what lga1150 motherboards support my specific cpu. In my experience, i had never really had issues with compatibility, but i figured since its an older platform, and im using a xeon, i had better check into which motherboards support my specific cpu. Heres where im running into an issue. Ive searched through the asrock, and msi websites for all the mitx , lga1155
8 motherboards that specifically list support for my cpu. A LOT of then list support for the e3 1270 v2, but not the v1. Ive only managed to hunt down one mini itx motherboard that supports my cpu, and its from asrock, and is going on ebay for 250 bucks. Thats WAY too much money for a mitx motherboard, that i dont even plan to OC on, especially used. I was wondering if some of the kind people in this community could help me hunt down a mitx motherboard that supports the e3 1270 v1, for around 100 bucks. can be a little more, or a little less. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, the ( in the title only happened because I accidentally clicked enter while i was attempting to put motherboard in between ().

Edit: I screwed up ,made this post at like 330 am for me, after i got off work at two, the socket is lga1155. MY bad fellas.

Edit: nevermind i found one . decided to go with the
GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX

thanks for all the help.I was going through each motherboard manufacturer's list of lga1150 mobo list manually skimming through , and it was taking forever. I should have just cross referenced from pcpartpicker's supported mobos in the first place, big derp on my part. Funny because I use pcpartpicker all the time.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think you mean v3 for LGA 1150?

Ivy Bridge (v2) & Sandy Bridge (v1) are LGA 1155, support any E3 Xeon, Haswell + LGA 1150 support any E3 v3 CPU. I use an E3 1231 v3 on a Z97, it also works on B85 boards.

Which board are you thinking to use? I had used a Gigabyte B85N-Phoenix and Asus B85M Gamer, but now use Asrock Z97-Anniversary.

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
In an earlier thread today, you said you had an R9 fury nitro, but now you say you have an R9 nano, which one is it? The fury nitro won't fit in the silverstone ft03 mini itx tower.

Last edited:

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 5, 2017
I think you mean v3 for LGA 1150?

Ivy Bridge (v2) & Sandy Bridge (v1) are LGA 1155, support any E3 Xeon, Haswell + LGA 1150 support any E3 v3 CPU. I use an E3 1231 v3 on a Z97, it also works on B85 boards.

Which board are you thinking to use? I had used a Gigabyte B85N-Phoenix and Asus B85M Gamer, but now use Asrock Z97-Anniversary.
my bad i should have paid closer attention, was out of it when I made this post, its the lga1155 e3 1270 cpu. I really dont care which brand as long as it lasts. Im not overclocking or doing anything special.(also MY rig uses an lga1150 4790k, so i think thats how i got mixed up last night)
In an earlier thread today, you said you had an R9 fury nitro, but now you say you have an R9 nano, which one is it? The fury nitro won't fit in the silverstone ft03 mini itx tower.
I traded my friend the r9 fury nitro i just bought for a r9 nano. He has a haf xb evo, and im doing a small form factor build. Im aware the nitro wouldnt fit inside the ft03.
http://ark.intel.com/products/52276/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1270-8M-Cache-3_40-GHz confirms LGA1155 for the vanilla E3-1270.

PcPartPicker indicates B75, Z77, H61, H67 are compatible chipsets (newer 1155 chipsets should also work, I'd imagine).
ok ill double check with pcpartpicker, however , I did visit several boards sites and skim through the specific cpus supported to check for the e3 1270. My fear is that, though yea the chipset can support the e3 1270 v1, is that for some reason proper support in the bios isnt included, or was omitted for some reason because its an older chip. I see a lot of boards include support for the e3 1270 v2, but not v1. Just seeking clarification on that.

Anyway guys, sorry for the confusion, could still use some more help hunting down a good mitx motherboard for lga1150 that supports the e3 1270.

Edit: nevermind i found one . decided to go with the
GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX

thanks for all the help.I was going through each motherboard manufacturer's list of lga1150 mobo list manually skimming through , and it was taking forever. I should have just cross referenced from pcpartpicker's supported mobos in the first place, big derp on my part. Funny because I use pcpartpicker all the time.

Last edited: