Memory hunting down the right ram

Bambam625

Trash Compacter
May 5, 2017
49
18
Illinois
(solved)

Hey guys,

Ive run into some conflicting information about specifics on ram support for a motherboard:

I just snagged a DBS1200KP for an ITX build im doing.
Should I trust pcpartpicker on what ram it supports?
Because I really dont need ECC.
Also, intel's page for this motherboard says it only supports 16gb total ram.
But, pcpartpicker is telling me I can put 16gb kingston registered dimms on this board.
I am a little lost, as going through google hasnt cleared this up any for me.
The cpu I will be using is the e3 1270 v1.
The only reason I got this motherboard is because its the cheapest lga1155 mini itx motherboard I could find, that supports the e3 1270,i had a e3 1270 laying around, and im throwing together a pc with it.
Ive looked through a few sites that tested different ram modules, and they really werent that helpful either, only a few were listed, while pcpartpicker had a huge list.


Will I be able to use regular ddr3 dimms?
Can this board support 32gb of ram ?
Is pcpartpicker wrong?
Will this server motherboard newbie ever figure out which ram to use on his motherboard?
Find out on the next episode, of dragon ball z.
 
Last edited:
Mar 6, 2017
501
454
Hey guys,

Ive run into some conflicting information about specifics on ram support for a motherboard:

I just snagged a DBS1200KP for an ITX build im doing.
Should I trust pcpartpicker on what ram it supports?
Because I really dont need ECC.
Also, intel's page for this motherboard says it only supports 16gb total ram.
But, pcpartpicker is telling me I can put 16gb kingston registered dimms on this board.
I am a little lost, as going through google hasnt cleared this up any for me.
The cpu I will be using is the e3 1270 v1.
The only reason I got this motherboard is because its the cheapest lga1155 mini itx motherboard I could find, that supports the e3 1270,i had a e3 1270 laying around, and im throwing together a pc with it.
Ive looked through a few sites that tested different ram modules, and they really werent that helpful either, only a few were listed, while pcpartpicker had a huge list.


Will I be able to use regular ddr3 dimms?
Can this board support 32gb of ram ?
Is pcpartpicker wrong?
Will this server motherboard newbie ever figure out which ram to use on his motherboard?
Find out on the next episode, of dragon ball z.



The spec sheet I found also says 16GB. You could always try 32 though and see what happens.
 
Mar 6, 2017
501
454
I just wonder if i can do a single stick of 16gb dimm, if itll work, or if i have to get two 8s in order to get 16 to work
I would do 2x8 because that's what the spec sheet says to do, but it doesn't say not to do 1x16 so if you can/want to, I'd test 1x16