Motherboard Need help with ITX Z390 Boards

Drue

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
I just bought an NCASE M1, and I am planning on putting a 9600k in it.

I am stuck between the Gigabyte - Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard or Asus ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING. I don't know if the $50 is worth the difference between the two of them. I also really dislike the writing on the Asus board. I also see that the Gigabyte board has no heat sinks on the VRMS. I would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable than I am. I appreciate the help.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Is there a reason the ASRock board isn't in your list? Would be useful info as to where your priorities lie and lead to the final decision:)

BioClue

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2018
I usually would suggest ASUS, but Gigabyte build the best mobo this time!
If you are looking for a cheaper yet a better option than ASUS, then ASRock is worth looking in to... Only downside it comes with 1 nvme and the BIOS.

Last edited:

Drue

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Is there a reason the ASRock board isn't in your list? Would be useful info as to where your priorities lie and lead to the final decision:)
My reasoning for the ASRock board not being there is because I don't think the board looks that nice for $190. I actually like the Gigabyte board the best, but my only experience has been with Asus boards.

Reactions: confusis

Drue

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
I usually would suggest ASUS, but Gigabyte build the best mobo this time!
If you are looking for a cheaper yet a better option than ASUS, then ASRock is worth looking in to... Only downside it comes with 1 nvme and the BIOS.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If Gigabyte built the best mobo why would I look into Asus and ASRock. I like the Gigabyte board the most as well. I will be pairing with G.Skill Ram and a 9600k with an NH-U9S cooler.

BioClue

Chassis Packer
Oct 26, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If Gigabyte built the best mobo why would I look into Asus and ASRock. I like the Gigabyte board the most as well. I will be pairing with G.Skill Ram and a 9600k with an NH-U9S cooler.

I think each have their advantage. However, I can't think of any for ASUS over the others except it's BIOS/software.

I would be interested to see which Z390 itx motherboard will maintain better temperature specially in a small case like ncase m1.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Thanks for the correction! There are two version, ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming have two M.2 NVMes and ASRock Z390M have one M.2 NVMe.
I think I am going to pick up the ASRock board then if it is so well received. I will be using a NH-U9S with a 9600k in an NCASE M1 if that matters.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Looks good, without a dedicated gpu you don't need 600w (unless you are planning to upgrade in the future). You can get the 450w version from crosair instead.
Best of luck with your build.
I'm using a GTX 1060 right now, and I will be upgrading my gpu next year. I already bought a 1060 in 2016, so going to hold onto it for a bit longer. Sorry about that.

Reactions: BioClue

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Question!

So for the ASROCK Z390 it says
  • 4 SATA3, 2 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)
Does that mean I can place an NVME drive and a M.2 SATA drive?

That's what my understanding is from the manual