Need advice for first time SSF-build: CPU-Fan spikes and memory too slow

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
I just finished assembling my build in the v3 of the Dan Case.

GPUGeforce NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
CPUAMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAMRAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
StorageA-Data XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 SSD - 1TB
MotherboardAsus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming
CPU-CoolerAlpenföhn Black Ridge
PSUCorsair SF750 Platinum

I observe two things:

First: Windows does not recognize that my RAM is 3200 MHz (XMP is turned on in BIOS). How can I teach my system to make use of the 3200 instead of the 2133 MHz?

Second: The CPU-fan is spiking every couple of seconds even though I am only browsing the net. Is there some configuration option to reduce the noise and making the fan behave more smooth?

Syncro

Caliper Novice
Nov 13, 2019
Hi, nice build

Does the motherboard take a long time to POST? That might point to your memory having some issue, and it fails training or boots in safe mode. I would suggest manually setting your memory frequency, your primary timings (exactly as they would be according to XMP/DOCP) and voltage. Also under memory timings set ProcODT to 36.9Ω, I've seen that setting cause a bunch of issues.

Also make sure your BIOS is up to date (version 3004 is still the latest I think)

For your Processor temperature etc I can recommend looking for the "Global C-State Control" setting in the BIOS (don't know its location rn) and enabling it. That can reduce your idle temps and that should make your fans more silent.
In the fan control settings in your BIOS (under the Monitor header), there is a fan smoothing option. If you prefer doing that sort of stuff directly in your OS, I found the program AI Suite 3 is a great choice for all that too.

hummingwhale

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Thank you, @Syncro.

My Bios is up to date. Your hints together with this awesome post helped me fix the memory speed problem and it was weird - to say the least.

In the BIOS (XMP-Support was already enabled) I had to increase the voltage manually for my DRAM from 1.35 to 1.4. Than I saved and rebooted et voila, 3200 was shown in the overview. Just out of curiosity, I decreased the voltage to 1.39, 1.38, 1.37, 1.36 and 1.35 - where I started (of course I saved and rebooted everytime I made one of these incremental changes). And it kept showing me 3200. Than I dared to switch over back to auto mode again and - surprise - still 3200. The configuration seems to be buggy. Nevertheless, I have now what I needed and I hope it stays that way.

I will check out your other suggestions as well.