Log First Time Builder Advice

new11

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 6, 2023
Hi guys,
I've just discovered this community and since have found some really amazing builds and learnt quite a few things too.
I'm planning on a new build and would love to hear any feedback or pointers you all might have for this first-time PC builder, 😊 or any thoughts you may have on the build list. :)
The PC will be used as an everyday workstation, web browsing, large Excel workbooks, occasional C++, python & .net coding, photo editing.​
I thought I'd skip getting a GPU for now, as I don't do video editing or gaming, but I've got a GeForce RTX (a few years old) lying around somewhere if need be. The PSU might be a little overkill, especially considering I doubt I’ll ever put in a GPU..​
I plan to attach the PC under my desk, so I'm a little limited in space, hence I decided to go with the really cute little Dan A4 case, that'll fit perfectly. I did also like the; Lian Li A4H2O & both the Fractal Terra & Ridge.
I was so torn between the; Asus ROG STRIX B660-I or the MSI MEG Z690I UNIFY with its Thunderbolt type C with alt mode, but the price of the Asus won me over.​

Many thanks in advance for any and all guidance!!

PC Parts List from PC Part Picker

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
The list looks good. I would make sure those 92mm fans are slim, just to save yourself some challenge.

Also, another cooler to consider is the AXP-X36. It can outperform the L9i and is low enough to avoid any turbulence. A fan duct would also boost performance.... or you can pick a bigger cooler and live with a bit more noise under stress.

If you are going to use integrated graphics for a time, it would be good to get a faster ram kit. IGPU's like the fast ram.

new11

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 6, 2023
The list looks good. I would make sure those 92mm fans are slim, just to save yourself some challenge.

Also, another cooler to consider is the AXP-X36. It can outperform the L9i and is low enough to avoid any turbulence. A fan duct would also boost performance.... or you can pick a bigger cooler and live with a bit more noise under stress.

If you are going to use integrated graphics for a time, it would be good to get a faster ram kit. IGPU's like the fast ram.
Thanks for the tips :)
I'm thinking of having the front drive fan as an intake, and the motherboard fan, an exhaust as suggested. from reading other forums.
I was surprised by the results of the reddit post comparison, I looked into the Thermalright X36, and I then saw the AXP90-X47 FULL. who doesn't love a hunk of shiny copper haha. I don't mind too much about the noise.

For the RAM, would something around DDR5-6000-6400 with a CAS of 30-28 be suitable?
Do you reckon a 450W PSU would be fine for the build?

Cheers

new11

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 6, 2023
Oops I've just realised I accidentally put the post in the "Logs" section instead of the "Advice" section. My mistake.... sorry