CPU Need 12V 200W minimum power brick

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024
The voltage on power bricks starts to go up at more than 150W (12.5A at 12V) because the components (like the barrel connectors) aren't rated for more than about 10A to begin with. A 200W power brick would require almost 17A at 12V. Even if you do find one, I wouldn't trust it for very long.

Edit: Looking at your previous posts, you'll be using an APU with not GPU. Why do you need 200W minimum? A Ryzen 8000G only uses 88W at full load. So with 35W or so of overhead for the rest of the system, you should be just fine with a 150W power brick.

Last edited:

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Jul 6, 2023
That aside, most gaming laptop/standard laptop power adapters rely on 19.5V for power transfer specifically for amperage reasons. You may be able to wire yourself a buck converter if you strictly need 12V.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure there are 12v dell bricks in the 200-250w range like the Dell DA-2, which uses a funky 8 pin output however to get around the limitations of the dc barrel.

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
I'm pretty sure there are 12v dell bricks in the 200-250w range like the Dell DA-2, which uses a funky 8 pin output however to get around the limitations of the dc barrel.
Yep ! The Dell DA-2 is the answer !!

12V @ 18A = 216W

As for the connector, I performed surgery. 3 white wires (+12VDC), 3 back wires (Ground), red (remote voltage sense, not required) and blue (connect to ground to turn on).

Luckily, I found a DC5521 (5.5mm OD, 2.1 pin) barrel connector on Amazon with 14 AWG wire attached. It made the connection "do-able".

Animag771

Caliper Novice
Feb 24, 2024
Yep ! The Dell DA-2 is the answer !!

12V @ 18A = 216W

As for the connector, I performed surgery. 3 white wires (+12VDC), 3 back wires (Ground), red (remote voltage sense, not required) and blue (connect to ground to turn on).

Luckily, I found a DC5521 (5.5mm OD, 2.1 pin) barrel connector on Amazon with 14 AWG wire attached. It made the connection "do-able".
The 5.5x2.1mm connector is one of the reasons that most power bricks aren't rated for over 150W. The Dell DA-2 used an EPS connector to get around that and allow it to safely output more power... And you cut off the EPS connector and swapped it for the DC5521?

Most 5.5x2.1mm barrel connectors are only rated for 5A, although some claim to be rated for up to 10A. That little connector is going to get VERY hot and potentially cause problems.

I'd suggest using an EPS connector or XT60 connector instead.

Edit: Actually since you're other post mentioned you would be using an 8700G, it will probably be fine because it'll probably only use about 100W anyway. So this is pretty much just an oversized and overly complicated setup for your power needs. Also why pair a 218W power brick with a 160W PicoPSU? I'd love more details about the future plans for this build to better understand these choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: robbee

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2018
... you cut off the EPS connector and swapped it for the DC5521?
Yep ! I used these beef boys from Amazon DC5521 Power Pigtails Cable,14AWG - $7.19

Most 5.5x2.1mm barrel connectors are only rated for 5A, although some claim to be rated for up to 10A. That little connector is going to get VERY hot and potentially cause problems.
I agree 100% ! The problem is the PicoPSU comes with a female DC5521 barrel jack and the MITXPC MX500-USB3 Mini-ITX Case comes with a pre-punched hole for a barrel jack. I decide to "go with the flow" !

Technically the case is for a "fan less" CPU and for such a low power CPU a Pico-PSU 80W or 90W would be adequate.

I am using a Noctua NH-L9a-AM5 Low-Profile CPU. It fits in the case, but there is no room for the HDD bracket and drives.

Actually since you're other post mentioned you would be using an 8700G, it will probably be fine because it'll probably only use about 100W anyway. So this is pretty much just an oversized and overly complicated setup for your power needs.
Concur !

Also why pair a 218W power brick with a 160W PicoPSU? I'd love more details about the future plans for this build to better understand these choices.
Because that was the quickest thing I could find and it was cheap !