NCASE M1 V6 info

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
@Necere Any update on glass side panels? I'm sure its been asked, haven't been able to find an answer skimming through thread.

Apparently they are unable to source the thin tempered glass required with all the supply chain disruptions at the moment. I believe it's @Wahaha360 who handles the TG panels, and just from looking at the forums he has at least 3 different case projects in the works at the moment. Certainly has his hands full and I imagine these panels understandably aren't his top priority.

I will say that I am also very interested in buying a glass panel if/when they become available, and would be grateful is he's able to look into it again to provide an update (even if it's not really the update we want to hear).

Reactions: tsmax and Qrash

bigtoe

Case Bender
New User
Aug 24, 2020
After installing 2x140mm fans in the bottom of my v6 I felt like, this case needs more huge fans.
Obviously the side bracket doesn't have 140mm holes. But after taping 2x140mm fans to it, it looks to me that it would actually fit.
At least with my NH-C14 and the PSU located to the side.

@Necere Is there something I am missing or why doesn't the side bracket allow for 140mm fans? I feel like it would be a nice option similar to the bottom mounted 140 fans, which also require some tinkering.
Wow, I didn't know v6 can hold 140 mm fans at the bottom. Would you be able to provide some pictures on this? I am also seriously considering replacing my 120 mm bottom fans with 140 mm ones.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
Wow, I didn't know v6 can hold 140 mm fans at the bottom. Would you be able to provide some pictures on this? I am also seriously considering replacing my 120 mm bottom fans with 140 mm ones.

This is all based on research not first hand experience... While the mounting holes for 140mm fans are there apparently the panel retention clips will interfere with a standard/square 140mm fan. There are rounded 140mm fans with 120mm mounting holes that might fit.

I can't recall the video but I saw someone test a collection of 140mm fans vs the nf-a12 on a 280mm rad and the only 140mm fan that outperformed it was the arctic p14. The bottom of the case is pretty obstructed so I think the static pressure comparison is fair (thoughts?). Assuming it is, if you are willing to mod a p14 to fit you might get some benefit, otherwise the nf-a12 or other similarly performing 120mm fans (arctic p12, nidec gentle typhoon) will likely outperform any 140mm fan with non-standard mounting holes.

Then again, I'm not sure if you are using the bottom fans on a de-shrouded gpu or as intakes. If you're using them as intake maybe the extra width going past the sides of the gpu would push gpu exhaust upward and help keep the bottom of the case from being a pool of hot air?

That's... less helpful than I thought I was going to be lol. If you do try it let us know your results!

HansWursT619

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2016
@bigtoe
I made a post here in the past with some pictures of the bottom 140mm fans: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ncase-m1-v6-info.10687/post-174592
@BeerNsoup
The Panel Clips might get in the way with some fans indeed. But they work fine with my Noiseblocker PK2. The frames just perfectly line up under the clips.
I wouldn't feel bad about shaving of a fraction of a mm at the clip position on fans that don't fit by default though either.

Concerning the side mounted 140mm fans I mentioned earlier. Well I just drilled some holes in my side bracket and can confirm that this works just fine:

It fits just perfectly in the front and back and has about 5mm of play up and down between the top support beam and the back of the graphics card. The lower mounting position for the side bracket kind of saved me, as the power plug would have gotten in the way on the upper position.

Not sure how practical this is, depending on the CPU cooler. My classic NH-C14 allows me to use 25mm fans.With the NH-C14s only slim fans would fit, but there arent really ans 15mm 140 fans :-/
Also having the PSU in the side position, won't allow me to use a 140mm fan below the CPU cooler. Temps would probably be better with both 140mm fans directly on the CPU cooler. But 140mm side panel fans could be viable with a 120mm under the CPU cooler I guess.

Still more options are better so maybe this could be an addition in the next version of the M1 :-p

Last edited:
Reactions: BeerNsoup

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
This is all based on research not first hand experience... While the mounting holes for 140mm fans are there apparently the panel retention clips will interfere with a standard/square 140mm fan. There are rounded 140mm fans with 120mm mounting holes that might fit.

I can't recall the video but I saw someone test a collection of 140mm fans vs the nf-a12 on a 280mm rad and the only 140mm fan that outperformed it was the arctic p14. The bottom of the case is pretty obstructed so I think the static pressure comparison is fair (thoughts?). Assuming it is, if you are willing to mod a p14 to fit you might get some benefit, otherwise the nf-a12 or other similarly performing 120mm fans (arctic p12, nidec gentle typhoon) will likely outperform any 140mm fan with non-standard mounting holes.

Then again, I'm not sure if you are using the bottom fans on a de-shrouded gpu or as intakes. If you're using them as intake maybe the extra width going past the sides of the gpu would push gpu exhaust upward and help keep the bottom of the case from being a pool of hot air?

That's... less helpful than I thought I was going to be lol. If you do try it let us know your results!

There was a photo from someone in the past year (or two?) with dual 140 mm fans on the bottom. I think they were the standard square fans.

UPDATE: I found the post quite easily: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/ncase-m1-v6-info.10687/page-92#post-174592
The author wrote that the thickness of the square 140 mm fan frames has to be 3.5 mm (or less) to fit underneath the side panel clips and that the screws for the bottom panel and case feet needed to be slightly shorter so that they did not interfere with the fans. With those issues taken care of, both fans fit and there's even room for the front I/O to remain in place.

In revisions 1 to 5 you could fit the "round" 140 mm fans that have the same mounting holes as 120 mm fans. I did that for a while to cool my GPU with its third-party heatsink and it worked fairly well, though the bottom of the case was much less open than in revision 6.0 and later.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeerNsoup

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
After installing 2x140mm fans in the bottom of my v6 I felt like, this case needs more huge fans.
Obviously the side bracket doesn't have 140mm holes. But after taping 2x140mm fans to it, it looks to me that it would actually fit.
At least with my NH-C14 and the PSU located to the side.

@Necere Is there something I am missing or why doesn't the side bracket allow for 140mm fans? I feel like it would be a nice option similar to the bottom mounted 140 fans, which also require some tinkering.
The bracket isn't large enough to accommodate mounting holes for 140mm fans.

FredBkevin

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2020
Hi All, full on watercooled will the 3090 fit in the ncase m1v6, lenght wise i think it will work , is the only other consideration the width ? The waterblock will make the 3090 a 2 slot card?

simkev

Chassis Packer
Sep 11, 2020
Not sure if this has already been discussed but if you were to remove, not only the front IO but also the bracket that mounts said IO would you be able to fit a triple slot GPU up to 320mm in length? Consequently is it possible to rotate the front panel 180 degrees to get the opening for the IO at the top of the case instead? I realize that there won't be mounting points for the IO at the top however I feel confident in my ability solving that problem if the front is indeed rotatable. I am currently running a 2080 TI Windforce in a SG06 but I have planned to upgrade to a RTX 3000-series card because I want HDMI 2.1 to get 120hz 4K to my TV. I will try to make a EVGA XC3 fit but if that proves to be impossible (which it very well might prove to be considering that the Windforce is just barely fitting) I started looking at other small cases that can accommodate bigger graphic cards and came to the conclusion that the M1 is the most appealing of them all. Since it is a step up in volume from my SG06 (12.7L. vs 11.1L) I would like to utilize a GPU with a triple slot design if I where to go the M1 route in order to satisfy my appetite for cramming as much hardware as possible in the smallest case possible and it seems that the front IO bracket in the M1 is the limiting factor for many of the upcoming aftermarket Nvidia cards.

Emerald9966

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2019
Will the asus rtx 3080 tuf graphics card fit into the ncase m6? In general, what is the best rtx 3080 to take to fit in and have good cooling?.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Not sure if this has already been discussed but if you were to remove, not only the front IO but also the bracket that mounts said IO would you be able to fit a triple slot GPU up to 320mm in length?
Yes, but the height is limited to 119mm over 304mm in the bottom slot. You'd have to cut away part of the frame to allow any more than that.

Consequently is it possible to rotate the front panel 180 degrees to get the opening for the IO at the top of the case instead?
Yes, but it sits lower by 1.5mm in the flipped orientation, so it doesn't line up perfectly with the sides.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Is there an ETA on vented side panel restock? I just ordered the new front panel I/O module for my M1 v1 and looking to update the side panel while I'm at it.

Was hoping to also get an RTX 3080, but, well...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Hey, do your shop accept every mastercard? My was declined.
Yes. I don't know why your card was declined, though. Your card might be triggering either your bank's or or our payment processor's fraud detection, or there's a problem with the payment method. There's a few things you can try:

1. Cards that require a PIN number (most debit cards) cannot be used.
2. Make sure your billing address matches the address attached to the card.
3. Make sure the billing and shipping addresses are the same, and that both are correct.
4. Contact your bank to tell them to authorize the transaction.
5. Try a different card.

Maik04

Chassis Packer
Feb 15, 2020
Thanks for the help! The most understandable reason for the rejection of my card is, that my bank is blocking transactions into foreign countries (im from Germany). I will contact my bank to unlock or authorize transactions into the usa.

Theai

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2020
Seems like the Video cards are getting bigger and the standard is becoming 3 slots and > 300mm . will you consider making some changes to this case or release a new one that will accommodate the upcoming new generations 3 slots and > 300mm length?

Reactions: al007

Dustbunnyck

Caliper Novice
Nov 10, 2019
FAQ

Q: When/where can I order the M1 V6.1?

A: M1 V6.1 may be ordered directly from ncases.com.

See the Ordering and Shipping tabs on the M1 product page for any other order-related questions you may have.

Q: What other parts will be available?

A: Panel kits, top panels with ODD slot, and front I/O kits are available now. Other parts are TBD.

Q: Will there be a window option?

A: Currently planned as a separate item available through w360mod.

Q: Will x fit?

A: See the specs towards the end of this post. Also see the GPU compatibility list.

Q: Which parts are backward compatible?

A: The following parts from V6 are backward compatible with older versions:
  • Exterior panels
  • Front I/O bracket w/ports
  • Side fan bracket
  • 3.5"/2.5" and ODD drive brackets
  • Motherboard tray

M1 V6 User Manual - see end of this post

M1 V6 changelog

V6.1

Chassis
-Adjusted front SFX mount position
-Adjusted 2.5" mounting holes
-Adjusted 2.5" drive SATA connector cutouts
-Added threaded standoffs to fan bracket mounting holes

Front I/O
-New punch tooling for smoother edges

SFX bracket
-Added/modified flanges to mitigate possible PSU movement

ODD bracket
-Adjusted 2.5" drive mount screw holes for improved stacking bracket support
-Added chassis mounted 2.5" drive screw access holes
-Adjusted aux chassis 2.5" drive screw access holes

Parts box
-Removed 120mm fan filters
-Fan grille count changed to 2
-Adjusted screw counts

Power cable
-Changed to right angle

V6

Front I/O
-Added USB Type C port (requires motherboard 20 pin Key A header, see list)
-Changed headphone and mic ports to single combo jack
-All ports use new molds
-Redesigned I/O bracket with swappable no-I/O faceplate (ports can be removed for cleaner look/slightly better 2.2+ slot GPU compatibility)

Chassis
-Redesigned ventilation holes on bottom and rear to improve airflow
-Added longer fan mounting slots on the bottom
-Bottom vents moved to separate steel floor plate attached to underside of chassis
-Added bottom magnetic dust filter
-Threaded inserts on PCI bracket
-Added M4 screw holes for window mounting to chassis
-Front-right chassis flange reduced, SFX PSU can now be installed from the right side
-Reduced rear-left chassis flange to facilitate GPU installation
-Enlarged chassis front GPU passthrough to facilitate GPU installation and provide more room for oversized GPUs
-Removed four panel mounting clips from side flanges to reduce incidence of oversized GPU conflicts
-Changed front 2.5" drive mounting to use screws instead of rubber grommets to save space/reduce complexity
-Integrated fan bracket mount into chassis flanges
-Added inside-front mounting for SFX PSU
-Added Kensington slot to rear

Fan bracket
-Added more and longer 120mm fan mounting slots for greater range of mounting

Motherboard tray
-Changed to removable standoffs

ODD bracket
-Redesigned to single piece, now supports 9.5mm and 12.7mm ODD drives

HDD cage
-Redesigned to two pieces, now supports 2x 3.5" drives *or* 3x 2.5" drives; now allows mounting to inside front 2.5" mount (3x 2.5" configuration only)

Top panel
-Changed to 2mm thick

Side panels
-Extended ventilated area adjacent to GPU

Other
-New 15mm tall molded rubber feet
-New adjustable GPU support bracket (adjustable for 2-2.5 slot cards)

Renders

Full Specs

Volume
  • 12.7L
External Dimensions
  • Including feet & protrusions: 338 x 160.6 x 255.5mm
  • Excluding feet & protrusions: 328 x 160.6 x 241.7mm
Materials
  • Exterior panels: brushed anodized aluminum, 1.5mm front and sides, 2mm top panel
  • Interior frame: 1.5mm matte black painted aluminum
  • Interior fan bracket and vented undercarriage: 1.2mm black steel
Front I/O
  • Power button with dual-color LED backlight (power on/HDD access)
  • Two USB Type A ports (to 19 pin USB header)
  • One USB Type C port (to 20 pin Key A header - see list of compatible boards)
  • One 3.5mm headphone/mic combo jack (to HD Audio header)
  • Blank no-I/O face plate included
Motherboard Support
  • Mini-ITX, Mini-DTX
CPU Cooler Support
  • Maximum height: 130mm with side fan bracket installed, 135mm without
  • CPU Heatsinks must not extend past the top edge of the motherboard by more than 10mm.
  • CPU Heatsinks that extend beyond the front edge of the motherboard may interfere with the 3.5" HDD cage and/or power supply (in the default right-side mounting location).
Graphics Card Support
  • Cards up to 280mm long (up to 290mm with front I/O ports removed):
    • Height: up to 140mm at mid-card, 130mm at rear corner
    • Thickness: up to 3 slots (60mm)
  • Cards over 280mm long:
    • Height: up to 140mm at mid-card, 130mm at rear corner, 125mm at front corner
    • Thickness: up to 2.2 slots (45mm)
  • Note on height limits: please allow 15-20mm for PCIe power connectors
  • Also see GPU compatibility list
Drive Support
  • Optical Disc Drive (requires optional top panel with ODD slot)
    • ODD bracket supports slim slot-loading optical drives in 9.5mm or 12.7mm sizes
    • Alternatively, bracket may be used for a single 2.5" drive (up to 14mm thick)
  • 2x 3.5" HDDs supported via removable brackets attached to the fan bracket (uses up one side 120mm fan location)
    • Alternatively, brackets can support 3x 2.5" drives (up to 15.5mm thick)
  • 1x 2.5" drive mount on inside-front of chassis (any thickness); also supports mounting of the HDD brackets in 3x 2.5" drive configuration in place of a single 2.5" drive
Fan Support
  • Side (fan bracket): 2x 120mm
  • Bottom: 2x 120mm
  • Rear: 1x 92mm
Liquid Cooling Support
  • 1x 240 radiator or up to 2x 120 radiators are supported on the side fan bracket
  • Radiators less than 35mm thick are recommended
  • 1x 240 or 2x 120 radiators precludes use of the HDD brackets attached to the fan bracket
Power Supply
  • SFX, SFX-L
M1 V6 User Manual

Other resources
Thank you I just ordered one with the ODD top plate! Going to replace my Sentry 2.0 as my main rig while the sentry transitions to my TV console box. I have a request for an update to the top ODD panel. I cannot for the life of me find a slot loading UHD blu ray drive yet I can find many that are tray loading. Is it possible to create a top piece that accommodates the tray loading design? Thank you for this case it is amazing!!!

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Thank you I just ordered one with the ODD top plate! Going to replace my Sentry 2.0 as my main rig while the sentry transitions to my TV console box. I have a request for an update to the top ODD panel. I cannot for the life of me find a slot loading UHD blu ray drive yet I can find many that are tray loading. Is it possible to create a top piece that accommodates the tray loading design? Thank you for this case it is amazing!!!

Slot-loading blu-ray drives have always been fairly scarce and expensive. I did a search on eBay for "blu-ray internal slot drive" and found bare drives from $70 (US) and higher. These are listed as New and "Buy it Now", and yes many ship from China. You did not say if you want a blu-ray writer (burner) drive or one that is read-only. Blu-ray read-only drives that are also DVD writers are often listed as "BD Combo" drives. A Blu-ray read-only drive will be less costly than a blu-ray writer.

Another option is to buy a USB external drive and disassemble it to extract the optical drive from the shell or case. These drives are often available at local business supply stores like Staples. Of course, the drive would work fine as an external optical drive using its USB connection, but unless you are unlucky, the drives inside are usually standard bare drives. You will not need a bezel for the front of the drive since it will not be visible underneath the M1 top and front panels. Just be careful taking the shell off so that the drive inside is not damaged.

The important thing is to make sure the drive you get has Slimline SATA connectors. This is the standard SATA data connector, but with a narrower power connector. You will likely need a Slimline SATA to SATA adapter since most power supplies do not come with a Slimline SATA power plug or adapter. In some instances, the drives inside external USB optical drive shells have a non-standard power and data connector. Good luck!

Dustbunnyck

Caliper Novice
Nov 10, 2019
Slot-loading blu-ray drives have always been fairly scarce and expensive. I did a search on eBay for "blu-ray internal slot drive" and found bare drives from $70 (US) and higher. These are listed as New and "Buy it Now", and yes many ship from China. You did not say if you want a blu-ray writer (burner) drive or one that is read-only. Blu-ray read-only drives that are also DVD writers are often listed as "BD Combo" drives. A Blu-ray read-only drive will be less costly than a blu-ray writer.

Another option is to buy a USB external drive and disassemble it to extract the optical drive from the shell or case. These drives are often available at local business supply stores like Staples. Of course, the drive would work fine as an external optical drive using its USB connection, but unless you are unlucky, the drives inside are usually standard bare drives. You will not need a bezel for the front of the drive since it will not be visible underneath the M1 top and front panels. Just be careful taking the shell off so that the drive inside is not damaged.

The important thing is to make sure the drive you get has Slimline SATA connectors. This is the standard SATA data connector, but with a narrower power connector. You will likely need a Slimline SATA to SATA adapter since most power supplies do not come with a Slimline SATA power plug or adapter. In some instances, the drives inside external USB optical drive shells have a non-standard power and data connector. Good luck!
Yeah I am specifically looking for UHD (4k Blu Ray) capable drives. None that are slot loading exist currently. I am considering the external one but I need to see inside Pioneer makes some but can be pricey.