NCASE M1 V6 info

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
While I agree with your sympathy for @Necere the fact is very few products can endure a 9 month wait time let a lone a 3 month time span in this global economy in 2020 so comparing past experiences doesn't translate. While I agree the NCase M1 is by far the best SFF case, there are a lot of really great SFF cases out there or coming out in 2020. Sliger is throwing out some amazing cases and even at CES I have seen some good ITX cases. I really can't comprehend what Necere is going through as a small business owner but I can can say there is a extreme demand for his cases and in 2020 I think he needs to scale better.

Hey people would pay anything for the demand Necere's cases have so really it's a good problem to have, but as someone who does retail buying for a living seeing the lack of fulfillment on a personal level has me tilted. If this is always going to be a boutique low margin business so be it, there is no reason for him to change his business model but if he ever decides to go more mainstream then his cases have a ton of potential to make a ton of money, while making a lot of nerds like us happy
Just to make something clear: I don't own NCASE. @ wahaha360 does. That was the agreement from the beginning: I would handle the design, he would handle the business side of things. So while I can try to make a case for doing things a certain way, ultimately it's not up to me. And believe me when I say we've had plenty of arguments in the past. He has his reasons for not wanting to use distributors, which do make some sense*. He has some ideas about how to scale up, but it's not trivial. There are certain limitations with production based in Taiwan, so for the past couple of years he's been working towards doing manufacturing and shipping out of China (not necessarily for the M1, but it's an option). That's part of the impetus for his SidearmD project.

*On the topic of distribution, the cofounder of Schiit Audio wrote a lengthy series of posts/book in which he makes the case against using distributors. Quote, "Go direct—distribution is a poisonous remnant of 19th century economics in a disintermediated world."

Reactions: Plaklijm

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
@Necere my order when I go to cancel or edit my order on the NCase website it says:

"Order Not Found. We're sorry, but we couldn't find this order. If you believe this is incorrect, please contact the store and let their support team know you're experiencing issues."

is there something wrong with the website or my order?
W360 had added the "edit order" functionality on the website, but later removed it because it didn't work well.

C_happy

Efficiency Noob
New User
Jan 7, 2020
How many days is average between Origin Post preparing shipment and it showing up at us customs (Los Angeles) for the slowest shipping option?

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
Are there issues between the x570i Aorus and the C14S?

My Ram is the Ballistix AT, which is 44mm. This would have issues with said cooler according to their 40mm height limit. If I remove the heat spreader the ram would be about 35mm, would that be a bad alternative?

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Are there issues between the x570i Aorus and the C14S?

My Ram is the Ballistix AT, which is 44mm. This would have issues with said cooler according to their 40mm height limit. If I remove the heat spreader the ram would be about 35mm, would that be a bad alternative?

I have no direct experience with your components, but recently I was looking into this issue for a different heatsink and RAM combination. The technical drawing of the Noctua NH-C14S shows a vertical distance of 40 mm from the heatsink's CPU contact surface and the bottom of its lower 25 mm thick fan.

I found a thread at Linus Tech Tips that states the top of the CPU's IHS (integrated heatspreader) is 8 mm above the motherboard and the RAM slots are 2 mm above the motherboard. Other posts on other forums (1, 2, 3) indicate the IHS is between 7.3 mm and 9.0 mm above the motherboard. The values from the LTT post have a difference of 6 mm, so RAM that is up to 46 mm tall should fit under the NH-C14S. The actual limit may be slightly less or slightly more. I don't know.

As a last resort you could replace the bottom fan with a thinner one, such as the NF-A12x15 PWM to gain 10 mm more clearance or not use a bottom fan at all.

• Love
Reactions: The_Mad_Madman

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
I have no direct experience with your components, but recently I was looking into this issue for a different heatsink and RAM combination. The technical drawing of the Noctua NH-C14S shows a vertical distance of 40 mm from the heatsink's CPU contact surface and the bottom of its lower 25 mm thick fan.

I found a thread at Linus Tech Tips that states the top of the CPU's IHS (integrated heatspreader) is 8 mm above the motherboard and the RAM slots are 2 mm above the motherboard. Other posts on other forums (1, 2, 3) indicate the IHS is between 7.3 mm and 9.0 mm above the motherboard. The values from the LTT post have a difference of 6 mm, so RAM that is up to 46 mm tall should fit under the NH-C14S. The actual limit may be slightly less or slightly more. I don't know.

As a last resort you could replace the bottom fan with a thinner one, such as the NF-A12x15 PWM to gain 10 mm more clearance or not use a bottom fan at all.
Thanks Qrash, 44mm should fit just fine then. I did not know any of that so it is always good to learn. I am really tempted to buy this case, it seems it could be available for order at any moment.

Edit: What is the benefit on the 2 120x15 fans on the bottom for an over 42 gpu, if you spend 40 bucks for 2 degrees less I don't think it would be worth it. On that note the side fan and exhaust back are worth it?

Last edited:

edamar

Efficiency Noob
Jan 8, 2020
Hello Everyone,
I am new here but have been following the forum since late November and would love any input I could get on a pc build I am building now (first pc build ever). The parts I am using are:
  • Ncase M1 V6.1 ?
  • Ryzen 3950x
  • RTX 2080 Ti fe
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-I
  • Corsair SF 750
  • Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3200 MHz or Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200 MHz
  • (Depending on cooling I end up going with)
My question is how to properly cool the pc? I would like to have comfortable thermals. In the sense that I never want to worry about starting a fire in my case lol, but in all seriousness, I don’t want to have to worry about thermals today, tomorrow, or ever really after the build is done. The configurations I have considered are:

1)I first thought of making a custom water loop in the case, but as this is my first pc build ever the idea of turning on the PSU only to find a water leak ruin all the parts even before I get windows installed gives me nightmares! Thus, I have abandoned the idea of a custom loop.

2)On the other hand, I have seen Optimum Tech’s review on the 3950x in the Ncase M1 and considered using the Kraken X52 as well. But worry the 2080 Ti will overheat which is why I am also considering adding something like the Arctic Accelero III or Raijintek Morpheus II (with some modding as there is an all-black edition that looks amazing) eventually. But then worry about VRM thermals of the motherboard.

3)Instead of using an AIO like the Kraken X52 using a low-profile cooler or small tower cooler preferably all black like the Big Shuriken 3 Low Profile, Be Quite Dark Rock TF, or the Noctua U9S but honestly don’t know much about these coolers (is there a cooler that will cool the 3950x in the Ncase M1 with future ability of overclocking? ) as I was hard-set on the Kraken X52 before I needed to worry about the 2080 Ti thermals. In this configuration I would also add an aftermarket air cooler to the GPU as previously mentioned, two 120mm fans side-mounted where the radiator would have gone, one 92 mm fan in the rear, and (if possible with 3D printed brackets as I have a printing farm readily available to me) 92 mm or 120 mm fans on the top of the case as exhaust.

I am leaning towards option 3 as I think it would be the best configuration, but I cannot say with absolute certainty that it is for this and that reason it’s just my suspicion. I do understand that there are a lot of variables that go into finding the best cooling solution, so I’ll add a few more notes. I would like to eventually get into
overclocking so something that can handle that would be great. I live in Miami, FL where it's pretty much baking all the time. I do believe I’ll be undervolting as Optimum Tech does to keep GPU temps in check initially but don’t think I will have to if I add the aftermarket coolers to the GPU. Also, Software I will be using with the build include:
  • Modeling: Rhino/Grasshopper, Revit, Maya
  • Research: Unity, Grasshopper, Houdini
  • Rendering: V-ray, Rhino Render, Cinema 4D
  • Adobe Suit Programs: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
Again, any feedback at all will be immensely appreciated! ? As I was one of the lucky ones who just happened to try logging into Ncase’s website 30 minutes after it first opened so I received my case in time for Christmas, and just received my 2080 Ti. The only thing that is missing is how I am going to cool the PC. All the parts are piled up ready to go and I am pulling out my hairs wanting to build already lol…

Oh, and even though I would love nothing more than to have a silent pc I am more concerned with maxing out performance than silence. At least until it feels like I have a jet engine next to my ear. Sorry for the super long text I tried to be as detailed as possible. Thanks again!

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
The x570i has 1 Cpu and 1 Sys fan headers, is there a limit on how many splitters (the ones included by Noctua) you can chain safely? Is it also correct or possible to chain the fans of the cpu cooler and the 92 exhaust? Even if they are different size? I suppose the other case fans should use the SysFan header.

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
I read you can have at most 2-3 fans on one header.

If you want more fans on the same header you need to look for an adapter which add extra juice using a sata power connector. You can always try, the worst case scenario is it doesn't spin.

Leinel

Caliper Novice
Dec 19, 2019
The x570i has 1 Cpu and 1 Sys fan headers, is there a limit on how many splitters (the ones included by Noctua) you can chain safely? Is it also correct or possible to chain the fans of the cpu cooler and the 92 exhaust? Even if they are different size? I suppose the other case fans should use the SysFan header.
You got the case fan, too. I am quite sure that with two different fans connected to one header will only give you one curve to adjust. My case arrived today, later this evening I will try to do following setup:
Ryzen 3900x with Kraken X52 and radiator on the side panel with 2 Noctua 12x25 as intake/exhaust
Aorus 1080 ti xtreme deshrouded with 2 12x25 as exhaust / pcb only with Kraken g12 and Asetek Lt645 on the rear side with a Noctua 92mm as exhaust (if it fits in some way) and at least 1 Noctua in the bottom as intake. I am going to post my results here. Maybe there is a chance to get a quite system with 2 AIOs ?

MrSykes

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 23, 2019
I got my Ncase today after a long time back and forth, it was almost destroyed for a fee. Had ordered on December 14th. Nevertheless the case is a phenomenal product, worth every cent.

Background is that it unfortunately ended up at customs, so I had to go there and pick it up and pay import sales tax at the same time. The Ncase is packed and shipped directly at Lianli. But LianLi has given a wrong invoice amount on the import papers (of only a little bit more than 3000 NTD is about 90 Eur). The customs officers weren't happy at all and then there were even more complaints: A printout of the order confirmation which you get after the purchase from the Ncase website was not accepted. So I had to drive back and show an extract from my credit card statement. Then I had to open the case in the presence of the officials. Since the case has the plug for the power supply built in, the case must have a CE-marking according to the EU regulation, but it doesn't. According to the customs authorities, importing the case into the European Union is therefore actually illegal. If the PSU cable could not have been easily unscrewed, the entire case would have been destroyed. I would have had to pay for the disposal, in addition to the value of the case! I explained to the officials that the case in this form is in use hundreds, if not thousands of times worldwide and no one has ever died or the building has been torched because of it. But they did not accept this argument or they simply did not care. But still, one should have imagined that: just because no stupid CE mark was applied, a brand new product would be insanely destroyed. My God, in a world full of insane rules and unnecessary bureaucracy, we just live... ?

So I had to leave the cable there to destroy it and I could take the case with me. Man, what a stress.

Ncase should absolutely get this CE marking, it's probably pure luck that some customs don't check this! Also Lianli should not cheat on the product value.

Now I don't know how to get the power supply elegantly solved, maybe directly through the hole where the plug used to be?
I guess I can't hope for a spare cable, right? And something else that fits doesn't exist either?

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: The_Mad_Madman

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I got my Ncase today after a long time back and forth, it was almost destroyed for a fee. Had ordered on December 14th. Nevertheless the case is a phenomenal product, worth every cent.

Background is that it unfortunately ended up at customs, so I had to go there and pick it up and pay import sales tax at the same time. The Ncase is packed and shipped directly at Lianli. But LianLi has given a wrong invoice amount on the import papers (of only a little bit more than 3000 NTD is about 90 Eur). The customs officers weren't happy at all and then there were even more complaints: A printout of the order confirmation which you get after the purchase from the Ncase website was not accepted. So I had to drive back and show an extract from my credit card statement. Then I had to open the case in the presence of the officials. Since the case has the plug for the power supply built in, the case must have a CE-marking according to the EU regulation, but it doesn't. According to the customs authorities, importing the case into the European Union is therefore actually illegal. If the PSU cable could not have been easily unscrewed, the entire case would have been destroyed. I would have had to pay for the disposal, in addition to the value of the case! I explained to the officials that the case in this form is in use hundreds, if not thousands of times worldwide and no one has ever died or the building has been torched because of it. But they did not accept this argument or they simply did not care. But still, one should have imagined that: just because no stupid CE mark was applied, a brand new product would be insanely destroyed. My God, in a world full of insane rules and unnecessary bureaucracy, we just live... ?

So I had to leave the cable there to destroy it and I could take the case with me. Man, what a stress.

Ncase should absolutely get this CE marking, it's probably pure luck that some customs don't check this! Also Lianli should not cheat on the product value.

Now I don't know how to get the power supply elegantly solved, maybe directly through the hole where the plug used to be?
I guess I can't hope for a spare cable, right? And something else that fits doesn't exist either?

First off, very sad to hear about your trouble. Glad it sort of got sorted though! Secondly, it is very strange. I live in Scandinavia, hence Europe, and I've purchased so far 2 x NCASE M1's and 2 x Dan Case A4 SFX and both uses the extended PSU power cable and never had any issues with customs.

Seems like those custom officials either were plain a-holes, didn't know their job and/or just weren't helpful enough to look it up on Google.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
@edamar With such a powerful CPU and your intention to eventually overclock I would recommend an AIO and stay away from air cooling. There are several good options. The X52 is a great choice as already seen by Optimum Tech's review with the added benefit of flexible tubing. I'm using the Fractal Design S24 Blackout because it has a builtin fan-hub, allowing cleaner cable management inside the case.

@MrSykes I had no issues getting the case in The Netherlands. It passed customs and was shipped via the local courier to a pickup point where I had to pay 40 EUR import fees. I wonder why specifically in your country it had so much trouble. Maybe there are new 2020 rules that did not apply in previous years?

Reactions: edamar and Plaklijm

The_Mad_Madman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 5, 2019
@edamar With such a powerful CPU and your intention to eventually overclock I would recommend an AIO and stay away from air cooling. There are several good options. The X52 is a great choice as already seen by Optimum Tech's review with the added benefit of flexible tubing. I'm using the Fractal Design S24 Blackout because it has a builtin fan-hub, allowing cleaner cable management inside the case.

@MrSykes I had no issues getting the case in The Netherlands. It passed customs and was shipped via the local courier to a pickup point where I had to pay 40 EUR import fees. I wonder why specifically in your country it had so much trouble. Maybe there are new 2020 rules that did not apply in previous years?
More likely that the staff were a bunch of assholes.

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
First off, very sad to hear about your trouble. Glad it sort of got sorted though! Secondly, it is very strange. I live in Scandinavia, hence Europe, and I've purchased so far 2 x NCASE M1's and 2 x Dan Case A4 SFX and both uses the extended PSU power cable and never had any issues with customs.

Seems like those custom officials either were plain a-holes, didn't know their job and/or just weren't helpful enough to look it up on Google.
my box wasnt even opened up, so i dont know how that works out, but im happy it didnt, otherwise this may also had happened to me, i Live in the Netherlands and im lucky they didnt even bother checking

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Hello Everyone,
I am new here but have been following the forum since late November and would love any input I could get on a pc build I am building now (first pc build ever). The parts I am using are:
  • Ncase M1 V6.1 ?
  • Ryzen 3950x
  • RTX 2080 Ti fe
  • Asus ROG Strix X570-I
  • Corsair SF 750
  • Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3200 MHz or Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3200 MHz
  • (Depending on cooling I end up going with)
My question is how to properly cool the pc? I would like to have comfortable thermals. In the sense that I never want to worry about starting a fire in my case lol, but in all seriousness, I don’t want to have to worry about thermals today, tomorrow, or ever really after the build is done. The configurations I have considered are:

1)I first thought of making a custom water loop in the case, but as this is my first pc build ever the idea of turning on the PSU only to find a water leak ruin all the parts even before I get windows installed gives me nightmares! Thus, I have abandoned the idea of a custom loop.

2)On the other hand, I have seen Optimum Tech’s review on the 3950x in the Ncase M1 and considered using the Kraken X52 as well. But worry the 2080 Ti will overheat which is why I am also considering adding something like the Arctic Accelero III or Raijintek Morpheus II (with some modding as there is an all-black edition that looks amazing) eventually. But then worry about VRM thermals of the motherboard.

3)Instead of using an AIO like the Kraken X52 using a low-profile cooler or small tower cooler preferably all black like the Big Shuriken 3 Low Profile, Be Quite Dark Rock TF, or the Noctua U9S but honestly don’t know much about these coolers (is there a cooler that will cool the 3950x in the Ncase M1 with future ability of overclocking? ) as I was hard-set on the Kraken X52 before I needed to worry about the 2080 Ti thermals. In this configuration I would also add an aftermarket air cooler to the GPU as previously mentioned, two 120mm fans side-mounted where the radiator would have gone, one 92 mm fan in the rear, and (if possible with 3D printed brackets as I have a printing farm readily available to me) 92 mm or 120 mm fans on the top of the case as exhaust.

I am leaning towards option 3 as I think it would be the best configuration, but I cannot say with absolute certainty that it is for this and that reason it’s just my suspicion. I do understand that there are a lot of variables that go into finding the best cooling solution, so I’ll add a few more notes. I would like to eventually get into
overclocking so something that can handle that would be great. I live in Miami, FL where it's pretty much baking all the time. I do believe I’ll be undervolting as Optimum Tech does to keep GPU temps in check initially but don’t think I will have to if I add the aftermarket coolers to the GPU. Also, Software I will be using with the build include:
  • Modeling: Rhino/Grasshopper, Revit, Maya
  • Research: Unity, Grasshopper, Houdini
  • Rendering: V-ray, Rhino Render, Cinema 4D
  • Adobe Suit Programs: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
Again, any feedback at all will be immensely appreciated! ? As I was one of the lucky ones who just happened to try logging into Ncase’s website 30 minutes after it first opened so I received my case in time for Christmas, and just received my 2080 Ti. The only thing that is missing is how I am going to cool the PC. All the parts are piled up ready to go and I am pulling out my hairs wanting to build already lol…

Oh, and even though I would love nothing more than to have a silent pc I am more concerned with maxing out performance than silence. At least until it feels like I have a jet engine next to my ear. Sorry for the super long text I tried to be as detailed as possible. Thanks again!
as @Jetpaction already said, you should go with option 2. And with the fans on the inside and blowing into the case, its the best configuration optimum tech found, i wouldnt stress about VRM temps. ANd what you could do for your GPU is just adding some 120 fans under it blowing into the card, and becasue you have the V6.1, the case has lower perforated side panels, so your open air cooler card can blow its hot air out from the side and not overheating. my recommendation is to take a good look at this video and see if you can get something out of there that can help you, but just keep in mind that your sidepanels have better airflow for your GPU than his because his are closed off.
this one takes a look at the temp difference for the closed off side panel and the new v6 and the advantage oiver temps it gives
this video is almost exactly your build, so also take a good look at this one.

Reactions: edamar and Dawelio

msek

Caliper Novice
Dec 21, 2019

Damn, what a story. I wonder just where you live :eek:

MrSykes

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 23, 2019
Damn, what a story. I wonder just where you live :eek:

I'm from Germany.

In my opinion the wrong customs declaration of LianLi is to blame for the misery. On the import documents that were presented to customs (and were attached to the package), the value of the goods was 2000 NTD (60 eur) plus shipping costs. The real invoice value according to the credit card statement (because the order confirmation is not accepted) differed more than twice from the declaration. Here the customs officers became suspicious and I think this was the reason to check the shipment more closely. I could have used the case - in the eyes of customs - as a medium for smuggling illegal goods etc. Just because not many people are willing to spend more than 200 Eur for a case (if you are not involved in the matter, it might seem even more suspicious). In the course of the closer examination the missing CE-mark was found. As far as I'm informed, it's not usual to unpack the complete article at the customs (I even had to open the side panels and the accessory boxes).

If Lianli hadn't written such nonsense on the declaration, I would probably have walked out of customs with the cable like the rest of you. Well, and now I have the cheese ?