Ncase M1 v6.1 build log (X570, 3950x, 2080Ti, semi-water cooled)

T4iga

Chassis Packer
Jun 21, 2019
Came out much much cleaner than mine. Congrats! Hope everything works as expected. Some cable appear kinked as hell.

Please report back on the fan noise.
I am still unsure if the board would fit. How thick is the motherboard below the PCIe slot?

Reactions: MultiDoc

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Update and help needed!

I powered the system up last night, updated the bios and only set the fans and enabled xmp for the ram. Didn’t have much time me afterwards.

But I have a problem and any help would be greatly appreciated: only one of the nvme drives appears as detected/present in the bios (plus the 2 ssd drives). Both NVMe drives are Corsair MP600 2TB, but in the bios it appears as only the M.2_2 is present.

I tried briefly to google for others with similar problem but couldn’t find an answer.
Any ideas ?

P.S: @T4iga I’ll measure the bottom part of the DTX board for you tonight

T4iga

Chassis Packer
Jun 21, 2019
Update and help needed!

I powered the system up last night, updated the bios and only set the fans and enabled xmp for the ram. Didn’t have much time me afterwards.

But I have a problem and any help would be greatly appreciated: only one of the nvme drives appears as detected/present in the bios (plus the 2 ssd drives). Both NVMe drives are Corsair MP600 2TB, but in the bios it appears as only the M.2_2 is present.

I tried briefly to google for others with similar problem but couldn’t find an answer.
Any ideas ?

P.S: @T4iga I’ll measure the bottom part of the DTX board for you tonight
After I updated my Asus BIOS I found virtually every device disabled in BIOS, including wifi, Bluetooth, network NIC and NVMe slots. Check if the slots are explicitly disabled in BIOS.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
After I updated my Asus BIOS I found virtually every device disabled in BIOS, including wifi, Bluetooth, network NIC and NVMe slots. Check if the slots are explicitly disabled in BIOS.

It wasn’t detected even before the bios update, and yes I checked again within the bios if there’s such an option but couldn’t find one

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
@T4iga from middle of pci slot (where the GPU‘s pcb sits, to the bottom of the motherboard is 40mm. But from the bottom of the case to the bottom of the motherboard is 24mm. For these measurements please allow +/- 1mm due to the difficulty measuring with all the parts already built/in situ.

Still trying to find a solution on the 2nd nvme not being detected in bios ☹

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
@T4iga from middle of pci slot (where the GPU‘s pcb sits, to the bottom of the motherboard is 40mm. But from the bottom of the case to the bottom of the motherboard is 24mm. For these measurements please allow +/- 1mm due to the difficulty measuring with all the parts already built/in situ.

Still trying to find a solution on the 2nd nvme not being detected in bios ☹
Did you try switching the SSDs to the opposite slots, wonder if it might just be a bad SSD?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
After spending a couple of hours trying to figure out what was wrong (bios settings, swapped slots, swapped drives, disconnected sata ssd’s etc), I finally found that it was indeed a bad/faulty drive ?. I initiated an exchange through Amazon, will drop of the faulty one tomorrow and the new one should be here on Sunday.

Thanks again for the input and suggestions gents.

Now any specific tips on what and which order to install after windows ? ?

veisheng

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 19, 2020
May I know ur gpu Asus ROG Strix 2080 TI is the triple fan one right?

Your bottom can fit in the noctua NF-A12x15 PWM fan?
The additional fan wont crash the gpu fan?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
May I know ur gpu Asus ROG Strix 2080 TI is the triple fan one right?

Your bottom can fit in the noctua NF-A12x15 PWM fan?
The additional fan wont crash the gpu fan?
No, they fit snuggly but with no conflicts with the fans. There zero clearance between the bottom fans and the GPU shroud but that’s absolutely fine

veisheng

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 19, 2020
Can share more pics on the bottom fan + the gpu installation parts (if have it) so i have a better idea which part of my installation is wrong cause the crash between gpu fan and bottom fan

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
You using noctua A12x15pwm (https://noctua.at/en/nf-a12x15-pwm) right? So weird mine conflicts with the bottom fan.. ur noctua fan you dont remove every edge of the vibration pads right?

Yes, those are the fans I use, mine are the chromax black ones but literally the same.

Can share more pics on the bottom fan + the gpu installation parts (if have it) so i have a better idea which part of my installation is wrong cause the crash between gpu fan and bottom fan

It’s an extremely close fit with virtually no space between the bottom fans and the GPU shroud but it works fine. If you have trouble with bottom fans conflicting with the GPU fans, I’d suggest you move your bottom fans a bit to the left or right and see if it helps. Also try using bolts for the bottom fans instead of the rubber anti-vibration Noctua mounts so the fans are as snuggly as possible on the bottom.

your gpu is triple fan or dual fan?

triple fan, it’s the Strix OC version.

Hi, do you know if the Apogee Drive II can be placed in a vertical orientation (two ports on the top and bottom)?

Unfortunately not possible. I tried it myself but cannot be done.

yuserinterface

Chassis Packer
Feb 9, 2020
Final pics, still haven’t powered it up (wife works from home so I’m at the moment banned from the PC since she uses it for her work, maybe late tonight I can install windows, fingers crossed, and maybe finish the setup).

will update again with performance, temps etc as soon as I have them.
Wow. I can't even imagine managing all those cables. Just my 4x 3.5" HDDs are a pain. (Thanks again for the spare drive brackets)

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Wow. I can't even imagine managing all those cables. Just my 4x 3.5" HDDs are a pain. (Thanks again for the spare drive brackets)

Well it was much better than my previous Ncase build. Two things made cable management actually a non-issue, the J-Hack cable mod and also the elimination of HDD's (only NVMe and SSD's).

dragos

Cable Smoosher
Apr 17, 2020
yes, installed 2 x NF-A12x15 chromax under the GPU (intake) and an NF-A9x14 chromax at the rear of the case as exhaust. Also 2 x NF-F12x25 chromax fans on the radiator (pull).
i had to remove the rubber feets on my nf a12x15 in order to have 2-3mm in between the strix 2080ti fans and the noctua fans, how did you managed to do it with the rubber feets on the fans?

XM1014

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 6, 2019
Just curious. Why did you decide to go the route of a12x15's under the GPU rather than deshrouding the Strix GPU and using a12x25's?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Just curious. Why did you decide to go the route of a12x15's under the GPU rather than deshrouding the Strix GPU and using a12x25's?

Update after a GPU Odyssey:

I RMA’ed the GPU after discussing the issue with ASUs support first and they authorised an RMA (problem was that the GPU fans would go out 100% rpm as soon as there was any load on the card, and wouldn’t respond to any settings I tried, any fan curves etc and believe me I tried everything I know).
Today, a month later I received the parcel, thinking it would be a replacement card, only to find my original card was sent back with a sticker on it saying “No trouble found” and “RMA rejected” ??...

I contacted the store I bought it from and to their credit, they were as baffled as I am... they went ahead to offer store credit or to cover the cost of an aftermarket cooler after I explained in detail (again) the issue.

Long story short: I just finished deshrouding the card (removed the stock fans and the oem top of the shroud only) and installed 2 x NF-F12 Noctuas. I’m dead tired so I’ll set up the system tomorrow and update accordingly.

Reactions: threestripevida