NCase M1 v6 Build (Crosshair Impact, STRIX 2070 Super, NH-C14S, stock Corsair cables)

oCNoOb

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
Hey all, finished my build this weekend and thought I'd share. Thanks to HyperActive for pointers on fitting the strix!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact Mini DTX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB STRIX GAMING Advanced Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Since the initial build, I've installed a Noctua 92 mm slim fan at the back. At stock clocks, but with PBO enabled and AOC at +200MHz, I'm seeing idle temperatures at 44 degrees according to Ryzen Master. Temperature at load is 82 degrees with average CPU clock at 3966 MHz and peak at 4492 MHz in AIDA64. Probably seeing some thermal throttling here, as there seems to be an improvement of clock speeds as the temperature goes down.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can get my CPU temps down further, please share!

GPU idles at 36 degrees. The CPU fan is running at 800 RPM or so exhausing out of the case. The GPU fans are running a tad under 1000 RPM.

A few assembly notes:

Cables:
The entire build is done with the stock cables that came with the SF750. The 24 pin and CPU headers are right next to each other on the Impact, which makes for some clean cable routing. The PCIE cables unfortunately have pigtails which take up some extra space and don't look so neat at the GPU. There is barely enough space to route them around the GPU and get the case to close. The spaces underneath and on the motherboard side of the power supply are just sufficient to bundle all the cables up and squeeze them in place. It's not shown, but I also have the SATA cables routed to the front so I can add secondary storage later.

Headers:
If you're planning on using the C14S, plug in all your headers before you install the GPU. If using the RGB headers on the motherboard, make sure you plug the cable in before you install the GPU because they're right underneath. Otherwise, you can use the other RGB header on the SO-DIMM. Also be aware that the CPU fan header is in between the CPU and GPU. This was very hard to plug in since I decided to install the fan after the GPU and cooler were already in place.

Last edited:

lordzorg

Trash Compacter
Oct 27, 2019
Hi! Could you measure the horizontal space from the top of the m.2 add-on card to the side of the case for me, please? - I am wondering if a 240mm AIO + 2x standard fans will fit with that m.2 add-on card. Thank you! :) - Great clean build btw :cool:

oCNoOb

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
Hi! Could you measure the horizontal space from the top of the m.2 add-on card to the side of the case for me, please? - I am wondering if a 240mm AIO + 2x standard fans will fit with that m.2 add-on card. Thank you! :) - Great clean build btw :cool:

I get about 65mm from the top of the card to the edge of the frame. You'll lose a few mm because the bracket for the cooler is a little offset into the case.

Reactions: lordzorg

secure-address

Chassis Packer
Dec 15, 2019
Hey all, finished my build this weekend and thought I'd share. Thanks to HyperActive for pointers on fitting the strix!

Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Fantastic job! Were you able to connect the front panel USB C? I read that another user had trouble routing the cable from the header to the front panel.

oCNoOb

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
Yes. All the ports for the front are connected, including the usb C. It’s not a long distance from the front panel to either of the usb headers, so it’s more an issue of taking up the slack without creating too much tension.

You can see the cables for the header in the picture. I think the paired cables going up are the regular USB ports and the single cable going down is the cable for usb c.

secure-address

Chassis Packer
Dec 15, 2019
Thanks for the quick response. Great photos, BTW. It's really helpful to see how the NH-C14S fits with the SO-DIMM and memory cards. Looks like everything fits well. BTW, what were pointers that HyperActive provided on fitting the strix?

Last edited:

oCNoOb

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 19, 2019
I don't remember specifically what he told me, but recall that fitting the strix wasn't too bad. That's the stock 140mm NH-C14S fan in the picture.

Cecom

Efficiency Noob
Dec 6, 2017
Almost the build i want to do. But why did you use a slim version of the 92mm at the back? The normal one does not fit?

sunrainsky

Trash Compacter
Dec 20, 2019
I am thinking would it be possible to forsake the 92mm fan at the back and install 2 x A12x15 fans to exhaust the heat?
Would that help in bringing down temp?

I am planning to do a similar build. My motherboard will only have 3 fan headers, so it's probably going to be
140mm fan for CPU header. 2x A12X25 for below on one header, and 2 x A12X15 for the side on the last header.

smog4ik

Case Bender
Nov 15, 2019

Since the initial build, I've installed a Noctua 92 mm slim fan at the back. At stock clocks, but with PBO enabled and AOC at +200MHz, I'm seeing idle temperatures at 44 degrees according to Ryzen Master. Temperature at load is 82 degrees with average CPU clock at 3966 MHz and peak at 4492 MHz in AIDA64. Probably seeing some thermal throttling here, as there seems to be an improvement of clock speeds as the temperature goes down.

If anyone has any ideas on how I can get my CPU temps down further, please share!

GPU idles at 36 degrees. The CPU fan is running at 800 RPM or so exhausing out of the case. The GPU fans are running a tad under 1000 RPM.

A few assembly notes:

Cables:
The entire build is done with the stock cables that came with the SF750. The 24 pin and CPU headers are right next to each other on the Impact, which makes for some clean cable routing. The PCIE cables unfortunately have pigtails which take up some extra space and don't look so neat at the GPU. There is barely enough space to route them around the GPU and get the case to close. The spaces underneath and on the motherboard side of the power supply are just sufficient to bundle all the cables up and squeeze them in place. It's not shown, but I also have the SATA cables routed to the front so I can add secondary storage later.

Headers:
If you're planning on using the C14S, plug in all your headers before you install the GPU. If using the RGB headers on the motherboard, make sure you plug the cable in before you install the GPU because they're right underneath. Otherwise, you can use the other RGB header on the SO-DIMM. Also be aware that the CPU fan header is in between the CPU and GPU. This was very hard to plug in since I decided to install the fan after the GPU and cooler were already in place.

Hi there,
Great build! Thanks a lot for sharing. Any chance you could run some CPU benchmark to see what kind of temperatures does 3900x reach in your configuration?

NG-Fidel

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2020
Thanks so much! :) Might still fit a Kraken x52 with standard fans then!
I have his build but with the older ncase M1 V1 and a Kraken X52, it all fits and I am used the SF600 cables since I didnt bother to change them out when I got the SF750.