Ncase M1 V6.0 C14S Temperature Results

M1AF

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2019
I posted this on reddit yesterday and figured some folks here might like to see the data. I consolidated everything in hopes that it would make it easier to read.

For clarification, this is what "Right Panel Intake - Left Panel Exhaust" means.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-d8sNB6K4OPIEkkhV7qesiyOyasTgUW_Iwl7PHzXi14/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Reactions: secure-address

osff

Chassis Packer
Aug 22, 2019
does I read the table correct? The 120x25 at C14S exhaust configuration performs as best with respect to the CPU?

M1AF

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2019
does I read the table correct? The 120x25 at C14S exhaust configuration performs as best with respect to the CPU?
Best CPU temps are on row 19.

PSU with the ATX/Front mount, one 120 slim on the side panel above the C14S as intake.
One 140mm fan under the C14S blowing towards the motherboard.
One 120mm slim fan wedged between the PSU and right panel as exhaust.
One 92mm rear fan as exhaust.
Two 120mm fans under the PSU as exhaust.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
@M1AF Interesting results. Few things that come to mind when seeing this:

• What would the LLC3 refer to on Gigabyte motherboards? They use names like low, normal, medium, high, turbo, extreme.
  • What was your reasoning for using the LLC values instead of defining a fixed voltage or voltage offset in the BIOS?
  • Would Conductnaut (liquid metal) help lower the temps even further?
  • Have you considered the Noctua L12S with a 120 slim under the heatsink blowing towards the motherboard and a regular 120 on the side panel above the L12S as intake? This would allow you to keep the PSU in the stock SFX positions with the fan exhausting towards the right panel.
  • With a 9900k running @5Ghz, wouldn't you prefer to use an AIO to get lower temps?
  • I like your solution for the GPU by removing the shroud and using the Noctua fans instead. I have a 2080S FE which has a rather small footprint and takes up only 2 slots. At the moment I have 2 120 slim fans set as intake. I'm debating replacing them with 2 regular 120 fans but fear it could cause turbulence.
  • Have you considered 2 high static pressure fans (NF-F12) under the GPU instead to see if it improves your GPU temps?
  • Undervolting my 2080S has helped significantly. Without it the max temps were around 75c. With 0.906v @ 1920Mhz temps dropped to 67c max.

M1AF

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jan 1, 2019
@M1AF Interesting results. Few things that come to mind when seeing this:

What would the LLC3 refer to on Gigabyte motherboards? They use names like low, normal, medium, high, turbo, extreme.
I would consider it to be medium or high on a gigabyte board.
What was your reasoning for using the LLC values instead of defining a fixed voltage or voltage offset in the BIOS?
I have a pretty OP chip that I'm able to adjust LLC values only and get stable OC's. Stock LLC and voltage I can run 5.0. LLC3 and stock voltage I can run at 5.2. LLC3 and 1.45V and I can run 5.4/5.5 for cinebench runs etc. I let the system adjust the voltages because when I tested fixed or offset voltages I would get higher temps.
Would Conductnaut (liquid metal) help lower the temps even further?
A delid and liquid metal would likely reduce temps further.
Have you considered the Noctua L12S with a 120 slim under the heatsink blowing towards the motherboard and a regular 120 on the side panel above the L12S as intake? This would allow you to keep the PSU in the stock SFX positions with the fan exhausting towards the right panel.
No. I've found that the sinks cooling ability is directly in line with the size(weight) of the cooler. More sink area means more to soak. The L12S weighs less than a D9L, so I would expect it to perform worse than a D9L. Obviously throwing two 120's on it would help, but there are better options. I'd take a U9S over a L12S any day.
With a 9900k running @5Ghz, wouldn't you prefer to use an AIO to get lower temps?
Yes. AIO all day for a 9900K or any of the new high core count Ryzens. You'll get way better temps.
I like your solution for the GPU by removing the shroud and using the Noctua fans instead. I have a 2080S FE which has a rather small footprint and takes up only 2 slots. At the moment I have 2 120 slim fans set as intake. I'm debating replacing them with 2 regular 120 fans but fear it could cause turbulence.
The full size 120mm fans as intake into a FE card is a common configuration and I haven't heard any reports of turbulence, so you should be safe.
Have you considered 2 high static pressure fans (NF-F12) under the GPU instead to see if it improves your GPU temps?
I used to run two NF-F12's as intake on a 1080ti EVGA XC Black as intake, then as exhaust on the same card with an Accelero. I'll take the NF-A12x25's all day. They're way quieter and cool just as well.
Undervolting my 2080S has helped significantly. Without it the max temps were around 75c. With 0.906v @ 1920Mhz temps dropped to 67c max.
RIght now I run +49 core +1008 mem, 100% voltage and 125% power target. While gaming I'm at 1980mhz @ 1.069v 69C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetpaction

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
Good stuff. It's a lot of fun playing with all the possible layouts and setups to achieve the best thermals. Currently I am using a Noctua U9S with an exhaust layout (2x NF-A9) and until tonight I was getting 68c under load on my 9700KF @4.8Ghz / 1.275v. It made me think about the airflow some more and I realized that I'm actually pushing warm air from the 2080S up in to the case with the 2 120 slim fans in the bottom. So I decided to switch the fans on the U9S to intake in order to pull fresh air into the case instead of pushing the warmer air coming from the GPU through the CPU heatsink and out of the case.

Lo and behold my CPU temps dropped from 68c under load to 58c, a 10 degree drop! My GPU has decent temps with 67c under load but next I'm going to play with changing the fans from slims to regular fans and switching from intake to exhaust to see what happens. I also have a Fractal Design S24 AIO at hand that I want to give a try. It's one of the more quiet AIO's out there so let's see what happens. Still, it's pretty amazing we can achieve such good thermals in such a small case.