Advice NR200 - C14S x 5800x - RTX 3090 FE - Optimize Temperature

SteveTheThief

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 17, 2021
Hello everybody!

I am running my fairly simpe build for quite some time now and I am happy with the raw power.

Photo of my build

I knew I had to do some undervolting to get atleast decent temperatures. Now I am thinking about what I can optimize to get better temperatures.

The C14S is doing a good job on my 5800x and I never get temperatures above 80 degree even under heavy load but I think this cpu cooler is a bit counterproductive for this combination because the hot air from the gpu is heating up the case. A slim fan above the cpu cooler did not improve the temperatures. A second 25mm intake fan at the rad panel also did not change anything.

My idea is to change the C14S for an AIO like a Kraken X63 to get more space above the gpu. The rad could be mounted as intake on the rad panel. Additionally I can add another 25mm top case fan as exhaust to transport the hot air faster out of the case. I tried to find some setups so I can do some research before I start changing components but sadly I could not find any.

What do you think? Could this lower temperatures enough to be a reasonable step to take? Or maybe another air cooler would fit this situation better?

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
SteveTheThief

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Have you tried either moving the fan above the CPU cooler forward so that it's at the front of the case and setting it to exhaust, or installing a second fan in that location, set to exhaust?

I'd also try setting all the fans to exhaust, except for the 2 under your 3090. That would be the best way to get that heat out ASAP.

From the picture, it doesn't look like you have a fan on the C14S itself, or am I just not seeing it?

SteveTheThief

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 17, 2021
Have you tried either moving the fan above the CPU cooler forward so that it's at the front of the case and setting it to exhaust, or installing a second fan in that location, set to exhaust?

I'd also try setting all the fans to exhaust, except for the 2 under your 3090. That would be the best way to get that heat out ASAP.

From the picture, it doesn't look like you have a fan on the C14S itself, or am I just not seeing it?
Thanks for your response. Here is a picture from above.

I mounted one 140mm fan as intake on the rad panel and a 120mm as intake between cooler and cpu.

From what I heard is that the C14S as exhaust will performance really bad. Source

My current configuration is:
  • Bottom slim fans intake
  • Top fan exhaust
  • CPU cooler fans as intake
I will add a second fan on the rad panel set to exhaust and check the temperatures. I am a bit concerned about exhausting the warm air out of the case right next to the cpu cooler. Wouldn't this mean that the cpu cooler will intake the warm air into the case again?

I only tested it as intake to get more cool air into the case but I will try this configuration. If this does not change anything I will try to set everything to exhaust except the bottom fans.

I agree with @AlexTSG. I would add another 120mm at the top and a 92mm at the rear and all set to exhaust.

I tried it with a second slim fan at the top as exhaust. The temperatures were the same. I do not know if a 92mm really matters then.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
So, the max temp of the 5800X is below 80C. May I ask, how much would you hope to improve on?

Also, may I suggest, (if you have not done so already), remove the side panel and do some thermal test. See what kind of temp would you get to confirm that there is a potential ventilation problem/issue.
Also, do a CPU thermal test (ie no GPU load so to eliminate the 3090's hot air contribution out of the equation) and see if the current ventilation is OK. Once this portion is confirmed to be OK, then do some gaming benchmark tests and that will introduce the 3090 into the equation.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I am a bit concerned about exhausting the warm air out of the case right next to the cpu cooler. Wouldn't this mean that the cpu cooler will intake the warm air into the case again?

I would worry too much about that, there may be some warm air pulled back into the case, but it should be marginal.

With your CPU running at 80 degrees, you have some headroom for your CPU temp to increase slightly, which is still going to be a win overall if you can get a reasonable reduction in GPU and overall system temperature.

SteveTheThief

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 17, 2021
So, the max temp of the 5800X is below 80C. May I ask, how much would you hope to improve on?

Also, may I suggest, (if you have not done so already), remove the side panel and do some thermal test. See what kind of temp would you get to confirm that there is a potential ventilation problem/issue.
Also, do a CPU thermal test (ie no GPU load so to eliminate the 3090's hot air contribution out of the equation) and see if the current ventilation is OK. Once this portion is confirmed to be OK, then do some gaming benchmark tests and that will introduce the 3090 into the equation.
Removing the side panel result in the same temperatures for all tests. My main focus is to drop the temperatures of all components if possible - not only the CPU.

Running Prime 95 for 30 minutes
  • CPU temperature: about 76 degree
Running Prime 95 together with Furmark for 30 minutes
  • CPU temperature: about 81 degree
  • GPU temperature: about 65 degree
  • Memory Junction: about 100 degree
I would worry too much about that, there may be some warm air pulled back into the case, but it should be marginal.

With your CPU running at 80 degrees, you have some headroom for your CPU temp to increase slightly, which is still going to be a win overall if you can get a reasonable reduction in GPU and overall system temperature.
I tested it with a second side exhaust fan. Sadly the temperatures do not change. Next step will be to try everything as exhaust except the bottom fans.

I have a feeling that I cannot really optimize this setup anymore beside going for water cooling.

trankillity

What's an ITX?
New User
Aug 16, 2021
Did you ever get any further with this? I am experiencing similar, but opposite problem, where my GPU (deshrouded) is getting up to 80c, while my CPU is staying around 70c.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Being that GPU "exhaust-inside-the-case-fan" a source of concern you could deal with it by creating a separate chamber inside the case. Using some thick plastic sheet (like the ones used on sandwitch style cases behind the GPU you could make a wall between the motherboard space and the PSU / Dumping GPU exhaust for the top fan to pull it outside the case.

Couple pictures may help:

Top view

Side view

If the top fan is strong enough you shouldn't need any side fans as all the hot air coming from the gpu will just follow upwards.

On the other hand, maybe a top fan on the cpu area and also a rear one as @rfarmer suggested would be required, being the created wall a limitation for the hot air from the CPU to "scape" inside the case.

Since we are brainstorming, and before invest on an AIO, could'n hurt to spend some cents and minutes with a plastic sheet 😁

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer