NCASE M1 - product improvement suggestions

Myk

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 29, 2020
Hi NCASE M1 team,

Hope you and your families are well.

Just a couple of suggestions for your future NCASE M1 product development.

Please increase thickness of all aluminium panels to 2.5 - 3 mm. This will significantly improve the overall build quality and premium feel of your product and will bring it in line with Louqe Ghost S1 and Dan cases.

Also, please make a modification (v 7.0. ?) which will allow:

1. 280 mm Water Cooling system to be installed.

2. Two bottom case 140 mm Noctua fans to be installed.

3. One 120 mm extractor fan to be installed.

4. Noctua NH-U12A 120 mm compact CPU cooler to be installed for those who prefer Air cooling.

I strongly believe these changes will transform an already good product into an absolutely fantastic NEXT LEVEL one!

The very small / insignificant incremental increase in dimensions (couple of millimetres here and there ) will be outweighed by the greatly improved thermal effects and versatility.

Many many thanks for listening to your audience and bringing such a great product to the market.

God bless you all.

Myk

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
You might as well ask for ATX and EATX motherboard support as well, what your proposing would add quite a bit of size to the Ncase. Perhaps you’d be better suited by looking at different cases with larger dimensions.

Unless you’re just trolling then I’ll say job well done.

Reactions: haroldngkh

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, you're really talking about an entirely different case.

Please increase thickness of all aluminium panels to 2.5 - 3 mm. This will significantly improve the overall build quality and premium feel of your product and will bring it in line with Louqe Ghost S1 and Dan cases.

The A4 and M1 use exactly the same 1.5mm aluminum. While it would be nice to just use thicker sheet metal, it would introduce problems to do so. Punching holes in thicker sheet causes more wear on the tools (=higher cost) and increases the probability of panel warping (=higher reject rate=higher cost). You also have to increase the bend radius on the front panel bends when using thicker sheet or else you end up with bulges on the inside of the bend and stretching on the outside, which isn't a good look. Then your minimum flange length also increases with the increased bend radius, so you need to change the design to accommodate for that. Point is, it's not at all a straightforward change like you might think.

This would require an extra 15-20mm of length added to the case, plus some extra height.

4. Noctua NH-U12A 120 mm compact CPU cooler to be installed for those who prefer Air cooling.
For this you're looking at 30mm added to the width, at a minimum, from 160 to 190mm.

These aren't exactly small changes of a "couple of millimeters here and there." Stuff like this is out of scope for an M1 revision.

I do have a design for case - still in the early stages - that addresses some of what you're asking for and that I think could be a compelling option for some people, but it is quite a bit bigger than the M1 (though still SFF, by whatever definition you'd normally apply).

br1p

Caliper Novice
Apr 14, 2020
Yeah, you're really talking about an entirely different case.

The A4 and M1 use exactly the same 1.5mm aluminum. While it would be nice to just use thicker sheet metal, it would introduce problems to do so. Punching holes in thicker sheet causes more wear on the tools (=higher cost) and increases the probability of panel warping (=higher reject rate=higher cost). You also have to increase the bend radius on the front panel bends when using thicker sheet or else you end up with bulges on the inside of the bend and stretching on the outside, which isn't a good look. Then your minimum flange length also increases with the increased bend radius, so you need to change the design to accommodate for that. Point is, it's not at all a straightforward change like you might think.

This would require an extra 15-20mm of length added to the case, plus some extra height.

For this you're looking at 30mm added to the width, at a minimum, from 160 to 190mm.

These aren't exactly small changes of a "couple of millimeters here and there." Stuff like this is out of scope for an M1 revision.

I do have a design for case - still in the early stages - that addresses some of what you're asking for and that I think could be a compelling option for some people, but it is quite a bit bigger than the M1 (though still SFF, by whatever definition you'd normally apply).

hopefully that new casing allows to install micro atx ;)

Reactions: axulsr

ARDIZ

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 6, 2021
Hi NCASE M1 team,

Hope you and your families are well.

Just a couple of suggestions for your future NCASE M1 product development.

Also, please make a modification (v 7.0. ?) which will allow:

2. Two bottom case 140 mm Noctua fans to be installed.

3. One 120 mm extractor fan to be installed.

I strongly believe these changes will transform an already good product into an absolutely fantastic NEXT LEVEL one!

The very small / insignificant incremental increase in dimensions (couple of millimetres here and there ) will be outweighed by the greatly improved thermal effects and versatility.

Many many thanks for listening to your audience and bringing such a great product to the market.

God bless you all.

Myk
I'll prefer number 4

SignedEcho

Case Bender
New User
Mar 2, 2021
Simply making top hats for the case for extra cooling would be a nice feature. Like all air cooled there’s plenty of room. But not a lot of air flow around vrms when you make a dual Rad set up.

flyyeast

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 23, 2021
As a V5 user, I think the current ncase size design is already come to extreme for RTX 30 series and may not work for future 40 series. I hope the next generation can be redesign and have larger GPU space.

Heli456

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Mar 24, 2021
I just built my v6, and have a couple things I noticed, that I would like at least to point out.
  1. The removable front panel connectors could make it super simple to make a customizable setting, ie. someone removing the usb-c and audio jack in favor for usb 2.0 ports. Getting the front plate would be tricky, but having the option to order the cables would be pretty slick
  2. The front panel connectors would be almost better at a right angle to either go to the right side, or upwards. I feel that would help allow for smoother routing. I ended up removing them all entirely, as they were too much of a pain to do currently. Will probably modify later.
  3. The front panel has almost enough room to fit a full 3.5" drive behind it. I'm going to try to mod behind the front panel at some point to accommodate it, but would be a neat addition. I'm thinking something along the lines of a cutout with an optional plate (similar to what comes on the front already) and a bracket. The bracket could allow for 3.5, while the plate could work like the optical drive plate, but with the option for 2.5s on it.