Suggestions for ncase m1 build

warney23

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
Hi all, about to attempt my first sff build, so i'm a bit of a newb when it comes to this, curently gathering parts together and eagerly awaiting for the ncase m1 to go on order.

So far I've got or considering

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X with Wraith Prism
Corsair SF600 Platinum 600W SFX Power Supply
Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
Gigabyte Aorus M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 SSD 1TB
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Black Edition Gaming, 8GB

Any suggestions on cooling, is an 240mm AIO the way to go? I will not be overclocking. And what other fans will I require?

Last edited:

CudB

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2019
A 240mm AIO is indeed the best cooling for your CPU. The performance trade-off vs a good air cooler is that an AIO is louder during low cpu usage because the pump is always on.

As you've probably heard, Noctua PWM fans are fantastic. You can replace your CPU cooler fans with them for better noise and temp performance. An additional 92mm for rear exhaust is popular as well. They are expensive though so you can always get them after the initial build if noise or temps are too high.

Reactions: warney23

warney23

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
A 240mm AIO is indeed the best cooling for your CPU. The performance trade-off vs a good air cooler is that an AIO is louder during low cpu usage because the pump is always on.

As you've probably heard, Noctua PWM fans are fantastic. You can replace your CPU cooler fans with them for better noise and temp performance. An additional 92mm for rear exhaust is popular as well. They are expensive though so you can always get them after the initial build if noise or temps are too high.

So the Noctua fans will cool the 3700x sufficently in the ncase m1? was just concerned about overheating in such a small case?

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
So the Noctua fans will cool the 3700x sufficently in the ncase m1? was just concerned about overheating in such a small case?
Ncase m1 has better thermals than most bigger cases, so dont worry about it for the cpu. The gpu gets a bit warmer if you dont have proper set up. I don't like AIO's and the noctua c14s will keep this cpu very cool and whisper quiet.
Why are you buying the x570 itx? It's very expensive and you won't get any benefits in the system you are building. Go with the b450 or maybe x470. B450 and x470 itx are mostly the same boards (thats why i bought the Asus strix b450-i). Asus bootkit is coming soon!

warney23

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Sep 3, 2019
Ncase m1 has better thermals than most bigger cases, so dont worry about it for the cpu. The gpu gets a bit warmer if you dont have proper set up. I don't like AIO's and the noctua c14s will keep this cpu very cool and whisper quiet.
Why are you buying the x570 itx? It's very expensive and you won't get any benefits in the system you are building. Go with the b450 or maybe x470. B450 and x470 itx are mostly the same boards (thats why i bought the Asus strix b450-i). Asus bootkit is coming soon!

I havent got the x570 yet so I like your idea of using the b450i, my only concern was how hard is it to update the bios to make it compatatible with ryzen 3? I'm assuming it has something to do with the bootkit you mentioned?

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
Usually when you buy a new motherboard from a specialized shop, the shop offers a bios update service (for like 10$ or so).

That can be an easy solution

Last edited:

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
I havent got the x570 yet so I like your idea of using the b450i, my only concern was how hard is it to update the bios to make it compatatible with ryzen 3? I'm assuming it has something to do with the bootkit you mentioned?
As mentioned above, pay for it or request the bootkit. Takes about 2 weeks and 2-3 mails. You submit the request you can find on Google, contact your vendor and also mobo maker (they will tell you to get the bootkit at least in my case), mail the responses and pictures of your mobo and cpu to amd. And you are done! Could safe you 50-100 bucks.

remig

Efficiency Noob
Aug 21, 2019

I ordered my N1 V6 a few days ago and am planning to build myself the quietest possible config because I'll be sleeping near the PC. I was going to go for a Corsair H100 Pro AiO system (with 2x A12-25 on the radiator) cause I thought it would be quieter than an Aircooling (non overclocked 3600X)
So I am mistaken ? Cause my current tower is 100% Aircooled (with numerous decent noctua 12cm fans from 7 years ago), and it's a freaking airplane taking off :p

PS : sorry for hijacking the thread :)

CudB

Chassis Packer
Sep 3, 2019
I ordered my N1 V6 a few days ago and am planning to build myself the quietest possible config because I'll be sleeping near the PC. I was going to go for a Corsair H100 Pro AiO system (with 2x A12-25 on the radiator) cause I thought it would be quieter than an Aircooling (non overclocked 3600X)
So I am mistaken ? Cause my current tower is 100% Aircooled (with numerous decent noctua 12cm fans from 7 years ago), and it's a freaking airplane taking off

PS : sorry for hijacking the thread

When I'm sleeping in an otherwise dead silent room even decent fans running at 1200rpm are loud enough to annoy me so there's not much to do about that.

If you're running a significant load, an AIO will be quieter since the fans can run at a lower speed so it really depends on your situation and tolerance. If your system is that loud I'm assuming you're doing something intensive or something is wrong so it might be better to switch to an AIO for you. Could you please clarify?

SuperShires

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2019
So I am mistaken ? Cause my current tower is 100% Aircooled (with numerous decent noctua 12cm fans from 7 years ago), and it's a freaking airplane taking off

PS : sorry for hijacking the thread
I've test built my system and I'm using the H100i Pro with 2 Noctua chromax fans and the whole setup is extremely quiet at idle. Quieter than air cooling? depends what cooler but I presume a Noctua heatsink with a 120mm Noctua fan would most likely be quieter than an AIO with double the fans.

But many tests show that there's no better cooling in the M1 than a 240mm AIO. So you have to ask yourself do you trade off a little bit of noise (imo its silent plus you have to take in account that under load it might be quieter than a air cooler) for better temperatures.

remig

Efficiency Noob
Aug 21, 2019
Thank you both for your replies :)
My setup would pretty much be idle during the night, just downloading stuff, and I don't think I will ever be in a position where cooling temp would be critical. I am not really after performance here, it is more about silence at idle if that answers your question.
Knowing that you might want to tell me your thoughts :)

thanks in advance

SuperShires

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2019
Thank you both for your replies
My setup would pretty much be idle during the night, just downloading stuff, and I don't think I will ever be in a position where cooling temp would be critical. I am not really after performance here, it is more about silence at idle if that answers your question.
Knowing that you might want to tell me your thoughts

thanks in advance
Pros for aircooler vs. AIO:
Aircooler
-cheaper
-quieter (Noctua)
-easier to install

AIO
-better temps
-looks better (imo)
-possibly quieter under load

I've gone an AIO with my build and I'm happy with that.