• Water

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

MeltedCactus

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 7, 2017
Good afternoon all,

I just ordered the NCASE M1 V5 and I can't wait to my very first SFF build. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on what I want to do, but was looking for some feedback on an idea I had for cooling options.

I've been leaning towards using a 240mm AIO for the CPU, but I've got a question and thought I would see what you'll think about the layout. I'm not super concerned about noise, but I'd like to get a decent overclock and keep temps down, hence the AIO.

In a majority of M1 builds using AIOs I see people configuring the AIO in the M1 as an intake and then using a blower style GPU to keep the hot air from the GPU expelled out the back. My idea was to use a non-reference style GPU, with two intake fans below it in the M1 pushing air up to the top part of the case and then have the CPU AIO configured so the fans are expelling the hot air through the radiator and out of the side of the case.

1. Do you think this is a good idea?
2. Does anyone have an M1 build setup like this and what are your temps like?
3. Is there a perfectly optimized build in the M1 concerning GPU and CPU temps?

Thank you in advance,

MeltedCactus

MrNintend0

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2016
I've got an M1 as well, but unlike you I'm going with a custom setup, including the GPU in the loop as well. While my setup won't be like yours, I can at least give you my opinion on the matter.

First off, yes, it is a good idea (or sounds like it to me anyways). If possible I would try and get matching fans, or at least matching specs for all 4 of them. This should (in my mind) give you a balanced airflow through the case; X amount of air in, X amount of air out. At the same time I do believe configuring the fans on the radiator to pull air INTO the case would cool down the components on the motherboard better, considering the bottom fans would have a GPU in the way of their airflow. However, I am no expert in airflow or case pressurization; perhaps someone else with more experience will chime in on this.

Can't help on the second one, sorry. My setup is different, as stated above; custom loop with a single 240 rad and two fans, cooling the CPU and GPU. I can't tell you what my temps are right now, still working on it; but when I do, I'll let you know. CPU and GPU is an undervolted 5820K and an R9 Fury X, also undervolted.

GPU and CPU temps should be fine in the M1. I haven't really heard of anyone having any problems with temps, although I will admit I haven't actually looked into the matter either. I've seen X99 platforms with power-hungry GPUs in these with no problems whatsoever, so I imagine there aren't any major problems, and any minor ones aren't really worth worrying over.

Hope this helps.

MeltedCactus

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 7, 2017
I've got an M1 as well, but unlike you I'm going with a custom setup, including the GPU in the loop as well. While my setup won't be like yours, I can at least give you my opinion on the matter.

First off, yes, it is a good idea (or sounds like it to me anyways). If possible I would try and get matching fans, or at least matching specs for all 4 of them. This should (in my mind) give you a balanced airflow through the case; X amount of air in, X amount of air out. At the same time I do believe configuring the fans on the radiator to pull air INTO the case would cool down the components on the motherboard better, considering the bottom fans would have a GPU in the way of their airflow. However, I am no expert in airflow or case pressurization; perhaps someone else with more experience will chime in on this.

Can't help on the second one, sorry. My setup is different, as stated above; custom loop with a single 240 rad and two fans, cooling the CPU and GPU. I can't tell you what my temps are right now, still working on it; but when I do, I'll let you know. CPU and GPU is an undervolted 5820K and an R9 Fury X, also undervolted.

GPU and CPU temps should be fine in the M1. I haven't really heard of anyone having any problems with temps, although I will admit I haven't actually looked into the matter either. I've seen X99 platforms with power-hungry GPUs in these with no problems whatsoever, so I imagine there aren't any major problems, and any minor ones aren't really worth worrying over.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! This does help quite a bit. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I posted this at the beginning of a project post:
Immediately after my watercooling loop inside my Ncase M1 started leaking (block seal malfunction), I checked what air coolers have a perfect fit inside the Ncase M1 and perform well. Luckily a day and a half later I was up and running again.

I suddenly remembered how easy air cooling is to install and doesn't need constant monitoring. Air cooling can only really be ruined by a broken fan, which watercooling doesn't like either. You lose sight of these simple things in life, when you have a full-time job you don't want to come home to another few hours of work on a PC because it decided to spring a leak on you. No matter how carefully you installed it.

How did my newly purchased Kabuto II and Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme IV perform ? Extremely well. It was quieter than my watercooling loop and it had close to the same performance. But it was essentially completely silent at idle. Bliss.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I love liquid cooling. It is fun and pretty to look at. Most of my mods use it.

When I get paid to build a PC, I go with air cooling because it is simple, just as effective, quiet, and requires very little maintenance.

If I was building a PC for myself...it would be with a premium air cooler.

Reactions: Phuncz

MrNintend0

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2016
Yep, go with Air for simplicity's sake and ease of mind.

Main reason I did Water in mine was for the Fury X. The X comes with an AIO unit attached, but I didn't like the ridiculous bends the tubing would need to take to make it fit; and THEN I wouldn't have any space for a proper (as in - good enough at a decent decibel level) Heatsink for the CPU. Probably could have made a small loop just for the X (slimmer radiator and fan at least), but decided to go ahead and get a waterblock for the CPU as well instead of trying to source a narrow ILM cooler I actually liked. 'Sides, I had parts leftover from my first water cooled rig that I would have sold anyways and not gotten much out of it.