NCASE M1 (i9-7940X X299 + Zotac GTX1080i Mini) Build

nyllo

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Jul 10, 2018
I'm a videographer, so I work with 4K/UHD footage, need real-time playback, colour grade, design 3D graphics, and have most of the Adobe CC suite open at once.

I need to build a new PC, ideally as small as possible (so I can carry it in a backpack) whilst also being quiet-ish at high load—38-45dB max—without disturbing people in offices and film sets. I tend to upgrade my workstations every 5-6 years, so this is built with some future proofing in mind.

So I've settled on the NCASE M1, the reason being it can (I think) accommodate the cooling required of the i9's TDP requirements (165W).

My build:
PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel - Core i9-7940X 3.1GHz 14-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - X299E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2066 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance Performance 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: 3x Samsung - 970 Evo 2.0TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Mini Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Under GPU Bottom Case Fan: 2x Noctua - NF-S12A PWM 120mm Fan
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste

Is this build possible with an i9, or will the processor melt through the mobo?
Are there better: cooling solutions, fan positions, intake / exhaust positions, GPU variants?
Is there a similar build out there I could compare too?

Thanks!

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
With the ncase me, you can go with a full length GPU instead of the shorter zotac 1080ti mini.
The case is huge enough for a full sized card.
Much smaller cases such as the S4M cannot house such a large card, thus the readre the zotac 1080ti mini exists .

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
IIRC you can fit a BeQuiet! Dark Rock TF in the Ncase. I remember doing a ton of digging before it was released on if it fit + seeing people later on using it.
Ah yeah
here we go