Completed N0RDR1 Nano EVO - optimized for RTX 4060 Low Profile & HDPLEX GaN

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Just out of curiosity: Would a 500W GaN fit if you remove one front fan? (or use low profile fans)

And broader question: is anyone that showed interest so far actually planning to use HDPlex GaN or a FlexATX PSU? I am definitely more inclined to go HDPlex but it looks like a Flex ATX PSU would fill the case better.

the GaN 500W uses different mounting hole locations and would be really tight, but in theory you could mod it to make it fit...

1698747809567.png

however, the GaN 500W makes not too much sense IMHO, because...
  • same as a 600W FLEX Platinum, it also has a fan
  • it is similar priced as a 600W FLEX Platinum
  • it has a similar Watt/Volume ratio and would not have helped to decrease the case size
I would get a 250W GaN if its a completely new build or just re-use a FLEX if I had one from a previous build.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I just need the inner chassis, no front nor side panel .... just want to make a wooden outer shell to slide it in, like those old Marantz amps 🤤 :

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
Hmm considering price and availability of the HDPlex... what is the noise level on that FSP Flexguru like? Modular, 300W with an 80plus gold rating seems nice... but I have really bad experience with the Silverstone 350G (sounded like a jet engine)

Reactions: thelaughingman

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hmm considering price and availability of the HDPlex... what is the noise level on that FSP Flexguru like? Modular, 300W with an 80plus gold rating seems nice... but I have really bad experience with the Silverstone 350G (sounded like a jet engine)

The Flexguru is loud AF with the stock fan.

I modded mine with one of those and its inaudible now:

also see post #2 in my previous build log:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ustom-build-with-wood-front.18342/post-274407

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
Hmm OK... Fan modding gives me PTSD from my time with the Silverstone 🥲 Guess I'll keep an eye open and hope the GaN appears back in stock in Germany...

Reactions: thelaughingman

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
If you're based in Germany, I could help you out with the fan mod 😉
Thanks for the offer, but it's not a skill issue per se :)
  • I tested multiple fans, but no 40x15mm fans were silent enough, and installing a 40x10mm immediately made the mod feel much less elegant
  • The significantly lower airflow of the more quiet fans made me constantly worry about the PSU overheating (it's probably not an issue, but it just bothers me knowing that I am giving the components less cooling than they were designed for.
  • I ended up settling for a 40x10 Sunon Maglev, which was bearable noise wise, while still providing good airflow. It always bothered me so much there is no 40x15 Sunon Maglev
  • For me to consider Flex ATX I would probably want a PSU that comes with a 40x20mm fan, you have much more fan swap options that way. Or something in the 500-600W range so that I can comfortably run it with a Noctua 40x10 because the system will draw around 200W typically. But 500W Flex PSUs are more expensive than the HDPLex GaN...

On another note, I just realized I can probably try to hide a small power button (and even a USB-C port?) between the slits of the CNC wood panel if I only install 2 fans in stead of 3! Should be fun to experiment with that :)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thanks for the offer, but it's not a skill issue per se :)
  • I tested multiple fans, but no 40x15mm fans were silent enough, and installing a 40x10mm immediately made the mod feel much less elegant
  • The significantly lower airflow of the more quiet fans made me constantly worry about the PSU overheating (it's probably not an issue, but it just bothers me knowing that I am giving the components less cooling than they were designed for.
  • I ended up settling for a 40x10 Sunon Maglev, which was bearable noise wise, while still providing good airflow. It always bothered me so much there is no 40x15 Sunon Maglev
  • For me to consider Flex ATX I would probably want a PSU that comes with a 40x20mm fan, you have much more fan swap options that way. Or something in the 500-600W range so that I can comfortably run it with a Noctua 40x10 because the system will draw around 200W typically. But 500W Flex PSUs are more expensive than the HDPLex GaN...

On another note, I just realized I can probably try to hide a small power button (and even a USB-C port?) between the slits of the CNC wood panel if I only install 2 fans in stead of 3! Should be fun to experiment with that :)

Sure, the most elegant and easy way would be the HDPLEX... no fan / no need to mod anything...

But, I wouldn't care too much about overheating / lower airflow for a modded FLEX as long as you don't run it full throttle 24/7 - also keep in mind that the front fans in the case will give you additional airflow around the PSU...

The most heat sensitive components in your PSU are the caps and in the HDPLEX they are not cooled at all. At around 75C they still would (theoretically) last 5 years if you run it 24/7.

For a 4060LP & 65W CPU build, a (good) 300W FLEX with silent fan mod should be feasible without issues IMO. If you get a 500-600W Platinum for that setup, you can probably run it passive and just rely on the case fans.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Given the HDPLEX / 4060LP is the most likely PSU/GPU combo, what peoples thoughts on the CPU/MB combo to pair given the power envelope left?

Last edited:

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
Assuming I keep my B550 motherboard, I am likely getting a Ryzen 7 5700X. 65W 8 core CPU seems like the sweet spot to me. On the intel side I think an i5 12400F or 13400F makes most sense.

Am currently doubting if I should go L12S on the cooler or Big Shuriken 3. I've done so many L12S builds already that I feel like changing things up once.

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
What is the cpu cooler clearance as I would love to have a use for my axp120-x67 with an a12

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
So it's going to be an a12 15 instead of 25