Log My Yocto build.

SomeRandomDeafDude

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
Hello all, I'd like you to welcome my own Yocto build. It is one nicely styled case with the brass complementing the black quite nicely. I had built this with an intention to be a semi-daily SFF build/testbed for a future build involving AM5 and Nvidia's 2nd Gen RTX SFF, the RTX4000 SFF all off of 250W, provided I get my hands on the GPU, but if not, AM5+the A2000 as is.

Spec list: 11400F, MSI MAG B560i EDGE WiFi, Nvidia RTX A2000 6GB, G.Skill AEGIS 2x8GB@3000Mhz, Samsung 970Evo+ 500GB NVME M.2, Western Digital Black SN770 1TB NVME M.2 and a HDPlex GaN 250W AIO ATX PSU. I originally wanted to use a 9600K in this build but it quite didn't work out due to potential power needs, so I had to tear down a Velka 3 I had for the motherboard plus CPU and RAM, and it ended up working. Oh well. Temps were... hot, to say the least. I could use some help in attempting to alleviate the temps if any help is available for what kind of hardware I have. 90C on the CPU and 80C on the GPU in testing(though that could have been due to placement of the system for testing, otherwise it's just spicy).

r/sffpc - Arrival of the case several weeks ago
r/sffpc - compared to SF600
r/sffpc - the new set of hardware lives
r/sffpc - during boot shot 1/2
r/sffpc - as it stands after completion

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Temps were... hot, to say the least. I could use some help in attempting to alleviate the temps if any help is available for what kind of hardware I have. 90C on the CPU and 80C on the GPU in testing(though that could have been due to placement of the system for testing, otherwise it's just spicy).

Ouch.. The temp reaches those number when doing what activity?

Also, what CPU cooler is that?

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Looking good!

The 11400 is not the most power efficient, but these temps seem a bit excessive. Did you use the same CPU and cooler in your Velka? Were the temps much better? I suppose you're not runnig it with mouse and keyboard on top of the case and that's only for the picture?

As for the GPU, it may help to make an air duct as the fan is far away from the vent. This forces the fan to intake fresh air rather than possibly pre heated air from inside your case.

EDIT: I'm not super familiar with Intels power levels, but the high temps could also have to do with the motherboard forcing PL2 at all times. This video of Hardware Canucks shows the behaviour and the same high temperatures with the Noctua NH-l9i

Last edited:
Reactions: rcodi

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Gaming on War Thunder. Can't imagine it under a synthetic/real stress test. And Noctua L9i.

Oh okay that's pretty bad.

Not sure what BIOS power profile is used but I highly suggest to stick with the 65 watt default power profile, because according to this Techpowerup review, 11400F's unlocked power draw can reach up to 200++ watt. Or even go further by undervolting it a bit. You'll probably get much better temps with negligible performance loss.

So yeah basically same like robbee's suggestion above.

Edit: similarly, try to undervolt your GPU. If you're using MSI Afterburner for example, basically just decrease the power %.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
If you're using MSI Afterburner for example, basically just decrease the power %.

For the A2000, better use the V/C curve editor in Afterburner and limit the boost clock at a certain voltage, (e.g. try a flat curve for something like 1400 Mhz @ 725mV). This will perform much better than using the power limit slider.

SomeRandomDeafDude

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
Looking good!

The 11400 is not the most power efficient, but these temps seem a bit excessive. Did you use the same CPU and cooler in your Velka? Were the temps much better? I suppose you're not runnig it with mouse and keyboard on top of the case and that's only for the picture?

As for the GPU, it may help to make an air duct as the fan is far away from the vent. This forces the fan to intake fresh air rather than possibly pre heated air from inside your case.

EDIT: I'm not super familiar with Intels power levels, but the high temps could also have to do with the motherboard forcing PL2 at all times. This video of Hardware Canucks shows the behaviour and the same high temperatures with the Noctua NH-l9i

Yeah. With the same hardware setup(minus GPU of course) in the Velka 3, it was somewhat better, but I may try a few things listed currently to combat it. And the mention about the keyboard and mouse, yes that is for storage when not in use.

For the A2000, better use the V/C curve editor in Afterburner and limit the boost clock at a certain voltage, (e.g. try a flat curve for something like 1400 Mhz @ 725mV). This will perform much better than using the power limit slider.
I'll look at some V/C tutorials, thank you.

Oh okay that's pretty bad.

Not sure what BIOS power profile is used but I highly suggest to stick with the 65 watt default power profile, because according to this Techpowerup review, 11400F's unlocked power draw can reach up to 200++ watt. Or even go further by undervolting it a bit. You'll probably get much better temps with negligible performance loss.

So yeah basically same like robbee's suggestion above.

Edit: similarly, try to undervolt your GPU. If you're using MSI Afterburner for example, basically just decrease the power %.
I have not seen 100W yet, not even remotely 200W. I will look into tuning it down.

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
That tip was VERY useful for me, I tried it and my card works much better! Keeps higher clocks and heats up much less! I didn't realize it could function stable at such a low voltage, thanks!

Reactions: REVOCCASES