Thermalright AXP90-X47 Copper Edition w/ Noctua NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax fan
ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming
G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 64GB DDR5-6000
WD_Black SN850X 4TB Gen 4 NVMe (x2)
Nvidia RTX 4090 Founder’s Edition
Silverstone Extreme 850R, 850W, 80+ Platinum
FormD T1 V2 mini-ITX case
Phanteks T30 120mm
Custom sleeved PSU cables (I used the stock 12VHPWR cable)

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
Hi - nice build!

I have a pretty similar setup with a L9a - are you using any thermal limits or ECO mode?
Any chance you have "The last of us" and can check your temps while shader compiling? This was by far the most heat intensive workload for me - worse than Prime95 by far.
How loud is it with the fan just sitting right behind the sidepanel?

OldManGrimm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Hi - nice build!

I have a pretty similar setup with a L9a - are you using any thermal limits or ECO mode?
Any chance you have "The last of us" and can check your temps while shader compiling? This was by far the most heat intensive workload for me - worse than Prime95 by far.
How loud is it with the fan just sitting right behind the sidepanel?
This was a commission for a very tech savvy client, so other than a -30 undervolt and stability testing I left a lot of the nitty gritty to him (at his request). Running CB R23 multi core it hung out at 89-90C. HWInfo didn't register it as thermal throttling, but I suspect it may have been to some extent. But under basic gaming-type benches it never got out of the 70s.

I was surprised that of the three 7000X3D chips I've built with, while undervolting consistently boosted their performance, none of them showed any temp improvement from the undervolt.

I can say the fan isn't particularly loud - since it's the high-speed version, I capped it at 85% speed in the bios. On booting/before getting to the bios screen, the CPU and VRM/chipset fans briefly run at 100% and are quite loud, but that's the only time. I used part of the Noctua NA-FD1 foam duct kit under the corners of the fan, which may have helped with the noise some.

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
Thanks for the response.
These chips never throttle - they just boost less. Not like older generations were the frequency drops to 800 MHz for a second or so.
Yes, undervolting opens more headroom for more boost - but the chips always target 89C - they work like laptop chips, not like traditional desktop CPUs - that is why you do not see thermal improvements.

Biggest thermal improvements brings lowering VSOC and VDDIO - they get pushed with EXPO activation - mostly above 1.3V - but 1.15-1.2V is enough usually - brings 10W less idle and 10K lower temps in idle.

OldManGrimm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Thanks, good to know. So many changes to keep up with! Worst for me is the damn cables - the new 12VHPWR cable uses different pins and techniques, and now Corsair has their Shift line that apparently uses different pins as well. But hey, keeps it from getting boring!