GPU Mxm advice

Urgannagru

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hi,
Got the opportunity to salvage the motherboard from a friend's deskmini. As far as I am aware it uses an mxm 3b interface just wondering if anyone knows if I can plug in older cheaper mxm 3b cards rather than the 1060 till I get lucky on ebay/ rumoured asrock cards are released and hopefully bring prices down?

Also as n aside tempt to inoperative the power brick into the case, just wondering if a HD plex AC-DC can be modified to use a barrel connector as a more compact option?

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
All MXM cards with the correct format will work, but be careful the card you use does NOT have an external power connector (along the top edge). You can also run the Deskmini without an MXM card, if your processor has integrated video, using the HDMI connector nearest the Eth port.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
This isnt strictly true. Laptop vendors have been known in the past to do some pretty jank shit w/ their MXM cards. This Level1 Techs video is focused on their upgrade to a Quadro card but its worth a watch to get an idea of the sort of shit you can, sometimes, run into.