Discussion OptiPlex XE3 SFF GPU suggestions

s162216

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 21, 2024
Hi,

I've got a Dell OptiPlex XE3 SFF, currently equipped with a Dell RX550 2 GB GPU. I mostly use it for general computing and moderate gaming with older titles. It can currently run games up to about 2016 or so with fair to good performance. I'm now looking at putting a bit more powerful GPU in and was wondering what others on here thought would be the best option. As it requires a low profile, single slot GPU that is powered just from the PCI-e slot, I am aware that the cards which can be installed are somewhat limited.

From my research, the most immediately obvious choice would be an RX 6400, but as the XE3 only supports PCI-e 3.0 there will be a slight loss of performance with an RX 6400 and its PCI-e 4.0 4x interface. The other option for slightly more would be a low profile single slot Yeston GTX 1650. I'm not sure though if the PCI-e slot limit is 55 W for the XE3, as I've not found anything definite in the specs. Looking it up though, others have appeared to successfully installed GTX 1650 cards in the OptiPlex 7060 SFF that the XE3 is based off (with it having the advantage of an uprated 300 W PSU and cooling).

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice, then I would welcome them. This is especially if anyone is aware of anything better that is coming out soon, as when I brought the RX 550 in early 2022 to add to the XE3 it appeared to be the best option available and naturally the RX 6400 came out just a few months later (which I would have likely got instead given the choice)!

Thanks!

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Not sure about that particular OptiPlex... does the PSU have any PCIe connector at all? Or are you able to jury-rig one?
If so the RTX4060 (115W) comes in a low profile variant from Gigabyte (and I think now, Asus). This will be MILES ahead of the RX550, RX6400 or even GTX1650.

If you're limited to slot-powered, you could see if you can get an RTX A2000 - 70W from slot power and will perform somewhat like an RTX3050 and should still be a solid improvement over the other slot power GPUs.

s162216

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 21, 2024
Not sure about that particular OptiPlex... does the PSU have any PCIe connector at all? Or are you able to jury-rig one?
If so the RTX4060 (115W) comes in a low profile variant from Gigabyte (and I think now, Asus). This will be MILES ahead of the RX550, RX6400 or even GTX1650.

If you're limited to slot-powered, you could see if you can get an RTX A2000 - 70W from slot power and will perform somewhat like an RTX3050 and should still be a solid improvement over the other slot power GPUs.
Unfortunately, the PSU doesn't provide any PCIe power connector, so it is slot power only. The XE3 SFF is essentially the same as the OptiPlex 7060 SFF, but is designed for use in demanding environments like warehouses, hospitals, point of sale terminals etc and is beefed up to reliably work under hotter conditions like in enclosed cabinets and where dust can be a problem. They are not really designed for gaming, but the one I have has a fair amount of processing power (i7 8700) and 16 GB RAM, so with an installed GPU they can certainly be used for it. I got this one as an ex-corporate PC in perfect condition for about 20% of what it should have cost new and it even came with 2.5 years left on the 5 year top of the line Dell warranty.

The problem is that like all recent OptiPlex SFFs, the sole 16x PCIe slot is right over the PSU so only a single slot, low profile card can be installed. That rules out the dual slot A2000. I know that people have modified the cooler on them to fit in one slot, but I would prefer to not have to do something like that. I am thinking that the GTX 1650 that Yeston make as a special single slot, low profile version is probably the best way to go.

s162216

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 21, 2024
Unfortunately, the PSU doesn't provide any PCIe power connector, so it is slot power only. The XE3 SFF is essentially the same as the OptiPlex 7060 SFF, but is designed for use in demanding environments like warehouses, hospitals, point of sale terminals etc and is beefed up to reliably work under hotter conditions like in enclosed cabinets and where dust can be a problem. They are not really designed for gaming, but the one I have has a fair amount of processing power (i7 8700) and 16 GB RAM, so with an installed GPU they can certainly be used for it. I got this one as an ex-corporate PC in perfect condition for about 20% of what it should have cost new and it even came with 2.5 years left on the 5 year top of the line Dell warranty.

The problem is that like all recent OptiPlex SFFs, the sole 16x PCIe slot is right over the PSU so only a single slot, low profile card can be installed. That rules out the dual slot A2000. I know that people have modified the cooler on them to fit in one slot, but I would prefer to not have to do something like that. I am thinking that the GTX 1650 that Yeston make as a special single slot, low profile version is probably the best way to go.
I am actually wrong it turns out, the PSU has a 6 pin PCIe power connector. I'm not sure how much it helps though with me needing a single slot, low profile GPU as I can't see anything particularly suitable beyond the RX 6400 or GTX 1650.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
I am actually wrong it turns out, the PSU has a 6 pin PCIe power connector. I'm not sure how much it helps though with me needing a single slot, low profile GPU as I can't see anything particularly suitable beyond the RX 6400 or GTX 1650.
Yep, not in single slot LP. You CAN find A2000 mobile chip frankenGPUs on AliExpress though, I think about 50-60W. @REVOCCASES has got one now he might be able to glean some details

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
the fastest "off the shelf" option for single slot & low profile is currently this one:

another option would be a single-slot-modded A2000 Desktop card
IIRC @morj was considering selling his single slot cooler

Reactions: morj

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Jul 6, 2023
If it helps (and you don't mind the risk of an exposed PSU) I have a Dell Optiplex 7060 with much the same specs as the XE3 (i7-8700/32GB). In order to make room for my A2000 6GB, I ended up pulling apart the power supply after leaving it for a week (making sure the capacitors were never touched) and measured Dremel marks into the casing. Turns out, there's enough internal depth inside the casing to get the required clearance for an A2000. I added a plastic shield over the circuitry to protect them and added electrical tape over the only heatsink close enough to the plastic shroud of said A2000. Not quite for the faint of heart, and only confirmed to work with the 180W supply that does NOT have a 6 pin.

Knoxtane

Efficiency Noob
Feb 15, 2020
So, I might have a system almost identical to yours! I just bought a Dell Optiplex 7060 SFF, which only "supports" a single-slot card in the x16 PCIe slot itself but a dual slot card will work as well!

I've been doing some benchmarking on my system with the RTX A2000 Dual slot SFF card, which only requires 70 watts of power which it gets from the motherboard. I've been playing Horizon Zero Dawn, War Thunder and Halo Infinite and the system works perfectly fine. No crashes, no insane power draw, combined the CPU (i7-8700) and the GPU (RTX A2000) use around 135 Watts and my Optiplex has a 200 Watt PSU, so there is still some headroom left but this is while I'm running the Horizon Zero Dawn benchmark on maxed/high settings.

Also, seeing how your PSU has a 6 pin connector it probably has 240 Watts or more.

If you want some reference images and a benchmark video of me using the RTX A2000 on the x4 PCIe Slot, which it still pulls the max 70 Watts but probably loses around 6% to 10% performance instead of it being on the x16 lane.

Benchmark:

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer